Lease buyout question

Acorcor

TDI
2014 Jetta tdi
Hi,
I've read a lot of conflicting information, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience with this...I have a 2014 Jetta tdi with a lease that expires next week. I am over on miles, at 72000, and have been for a long time. I had planned on buying out the lease so I wasn't concerned about it. I have not completed the paperwork for the early lease termination because I don't want to pay that much in additional mileage, I'm just going to buy out the car. My question is, I have read about people buying out the lease (which is in my husbands name), transferring the title into my name and filing the buyback claim in my name as an owner vs in my husbands name as a lessee. I have also read something about buying your vehicle off of lease after Jan 17 2017, you will always be a lesser. Does that just refer to my husband buying it off lease, or would it apply to me too? Does that make sense? I called and vw credit, 2 dealerships and the settlement number and cannot get a straight answer.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
You can indeed buy out the lease, have your husband "sell" the car to you, then file a buyback claim for the vehicle. I would make sure to delete your lease claim before you file your buyback claim.

The restrictions on buying after a lease were put in place on 3.0L vehicles - your Jetta is a 2.0L, so the loophole still exists.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Fourplay is correct.

Step 1: Call or do online chat and cancel the current claim that you have.

Step 2: Buyout your lease

Step 3: Gift or sell your car to someone else (you, or trusted family member or a friend)

Step 4: PROFIT!!!!

Note that they will request current registration, make sure that whoever leased it is NOT on it.

I would recommend using a friend or a relative with different last name and address JUST IN CASE, but you should be fine if you do it from husband to wife or vice versa.

CamboDude

TDI
2014 Q5
You can indeed buy out the lease, have your husband "sell" the car to you, then file a buyback claim for the vehicle. I would make sure to delete your lease claim before you file your buyback claim.

The restrictions on buying after a lease were put in place on 3.0L vehicles - your Jetta is a 2.0L, so the loophole still exists.
Are you saying that for 3.0L cars, you can't buyout the lease, transfer the title to a third party, and have them claim "owner's restitution"?

I'm a Q5 TDI leesee right now and have to decide if I needed to buyout the car.
I already received my first half participation payment from Audi of 1K too.:(

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Even if you buy out the lease on the 3.0, you are still considered a prior lessee according to the settlement and entitled to a lower payment than an owner.

2literv8eater

TDI
2013 Golf
My wife did the buyback and returned the car 3 months ago. I, then as a former lessee applied and got the money from VW 2 months ago.
Today I received a call from VW saying there was an error and they wanted the former lessee money paid back. I asked that everything in writing be sent to me.
It would suck if I have to pay that money back but I’m not sure they can force this.

Anyone else run into this?

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
VW is currently trying to give me grief on a vehicle I bought from someone back in April. Apparently they bought it out of a lease. They tell me I need to go on the portal and fill it out as if I'm a lessee which sounds a) fraudulent and b) incorrect.

I left a message with the legal folks. TBD.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
VW is currently trying to give me grief on a vehicle I bought from someone back in April. Apparently they bought it out of a lease. They tell me I need to go on the portal and fill it out as if I'm a lessee which sounds a) fraudulent and b) incorrect.

I left a message with the legal folks. TBD.
Yup having issues with previously leased vehicles as well. One got rejected

Mike123

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manaul
This is my dilemma as well

I am a original leasee and the car is a manual passat, so no fix. I bought the car at least end.

I keep wondering if I should just drop my claim, transfer to wife and go that route.

What would you guys do? They claim my claim will be upgraded to buy back? I absolutely HATE that I cannot get a straight answer from ANYONE regarding this, VW, dealer, or otherwise. VW/Audi will NEVER sell me another car in this lifetime because of this run around.

Mike123

TDI
Update: Just called my dealer and they stated that a buyer today is not eligible for the buy back. Are they correct?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Update: Just called my dealer and they stated that a buyer today is not eligible for the buy back. Are they correct?
Dealerships have NOTHING to do with Buyback and they are NOT educated about it. Why are you even calling them?

Buyout the lease, sell it to a friend with different last name and do the buyback through that person.

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Yup having issues with previously leased vehicles as well. One got rejected
I'd be interested to hear your updates as you get them. I e-mailed and left a VM for the legal council but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure they're swamped but, boy, would it have been nice if they issued a ticket number or something.

mrpotamus

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd be interested to hear your updates as you get them. I e-mailed and left a VM for the legal council but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure they're swamped but, boy, would it have been nice if they issued a ticket number or something.

Does anyone have an update on this? I am getting ready to buy out me lease, transfer it, and trade it in. Thanks.

Mike123

TDI
Be Careful

Does anyone have an update on this? I am getting ready to buy out me lease, transfer it, and trade it in. Thanks.

I contacted the attorneys and they are telling me that prior lease cars are not eligible in buy-back. Are they correct????????????/

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I contacted the attorneys and they are telling me that prior lease cars are not eligible in buy-back. Are they correct????????????/
Issue that I have with one car is that it was a lease and VW allowed to turn it in early and paid customer some restitution. Then VW dealer somehow got the title and sold it to me before fixing it. So now I cannot do a buyback

Mike123

TDI
Issue that I have with one car is that it was a lease and VW allowed to turn it in early and paid customer some restitution. Then VW dealer somehow got the title and sold it to me before fixing it. So now I cannot do a buyback
I wish I could get a straight answer from ANYBODY on whether or not my car could be turned in for buy back by someone else.

Gamo8860

TDI
2015 Golf
2015 Golf TDI - leased

Curious if anyone else is waiting for the 2nd gen mod and has any info re when it will be offered? I - in good faith - chose to keep my lease and get the mods. I had no idea that the 2nd mod hadn't even been approved by the EPA when I chose this option. And of course VW didn't tell me. I have already had the first mod done and wondered why they hadn't notified me about the 2nd yet...nor sent me the first portion of my "restitution" payment. Many calls to the claims line later and two different answers and now a call to the attorneys that VW offers for appeals and problems with the claim process. I want to turn in my lease (when it is due in mid-April) and get another VW. But I will not receive the last 1/3 of my claim amount unless the mod is complete. Obviously I never would have chosen that option if they had really spelled it out to me AND I could have done what others are doing re buying the lease and then starting claims process under someone else's name. This has all been so frustrating.:mad:

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L
I wish I could get a straight answer from ANYBODY on whether or not my car could be turned in for buy back by someone else.
In April/May of 2017, yes. VW even paid me the former lessee payment and I got checks for both from Bosch.

In January of 2018? I cannot say as I have no firsthand experience. They may be wise to this loophole now - it was specifically closed in the 3.0L settlement.

pikawel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
I’ve been told I need to file an appeal with the Claims Review Committee (CRC). This is a trio of folks; one appointed from counsel’s side, one from VWs and one form the judge.

I apparently purchased a vehicle that was bought out of a lease and this is where I have landed.

“To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.

Your request must include the following information:

Claimant’s name, address, telephone number, VIN of the affected vehicle and Claim Reference Number.
A brief statement and documentation on why you should receive Owner Restitution.”

Mike123

TDI
VW is going to leave me hanging.

I chatted with the online help today. Here is my situation:

Bought my own car out of lease during the scandal. It's a six speed manual with no fix available. They told me today the Willie Wonka: I get nothing, when I mentioned the upgraded claim letter for no fix manuals:

"There might've been a confusion, the letter that you are referring to states that owner who choose AEM can now select Buyback due to the fix not being available. That wouldn't apply to you due to you first leasing your vehicle and not owning it. Even though you are now a owner the Buyback still wouldn't be an option for you. Once you purchased your vehicle the fix became your only option. Since the fix won't be available, there is no other option. The adjusted Buyback offers were for those who filed as an owner when they first created the claim."

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive

Bought my own car out of lease during the scandal. It's a six speed manual with no fix available. They told me today the Willie Wonka: I get nothing, when I mentioned the upgraded claim letter for no fix manuals:

"There might've been a confusion, the letter that you are referring to states that owner who choose AEM can now select Buyback due to the fix not being available. That wouldn't apply to you due to you first leasing your vehicle and not owning it. Even though you are now a owner the Buyback still wouldn't be an option for you. Once you purchased your vehicle the fix became your only option. Since the fix won't be available, there is no other option. The adjusted Buyback offers were for those who filed as an owner when they first created the claim."
Might be a long shot, but check if your situation falls under lemon law given that the dealership sold it to you in that "unfixed" (and unfixable) condition.

Last edited:

Fourplay

TDI
2014 A8L

In order for the lease buyout to work, you had to cancel your original claim, sell the car to someone else, and have them make the claim. Because you've done it in some other way, it won't work.

Mike123

TDI
I don't know about that.

In order for the lease buyout to work, you had to cancel your original claim, sell the car to someone else, and have them make the claim. Because you've done it in some other way, it won't work.
Aren't there threads here detailing where people are being turned down for buyouts on originally leased cars?