Anyone import TDI to the US from Canada?

Tom Brown

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I'm thinking of selling my 01 Golf TDI to a buddy in GA. Does anyone know the ropes that would be required for him to follow?

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I live in NY and have a canadian model Golf (2003) I bought the car from a small dealership, the story he gave me was the original/only owner of the car lived in either Canada or NY, and worked in the other. Bought the car in Canada and has been in NY this whole time.

Not of much help but It can be done, and it doesn't seem like it will be a huge issue.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you can get a letter from VW Canada on their letterhead that states that your car (identified by the VIN) is in compliance with US DOT and US EPA regulations at the time of manufacture, then provide that to the buyer, you should be just fine. If you are exceedingly lucky and have official VWAG stickers on the radiator support (such as the ones with the vacuum line diagram) that state that compliance already, then you are golden and might not even need the letter.

The buyer should be able to check that with US Customs to verify that such a document is sufficient to allow it to be imported.

The buyer will not be able to obtain such a letter if he buys the car and tries to get the letter before crossing the border, so having you as the current owner do it is about the only way of getting it done so the car isn't impounded at the border. Or maybe impounded is not the right verb - the car would not be allowed into the US until those DOT and EPA requirements are satisfied.

I have no idea how long any of this would take.

Good luck, and cheers!

PH

Last edited:

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Excellent advice from Powder Hound! I imported a Jetta from Canada. I had the letter of conformity and it was relatively painless. However, mine was a Jetta manufactured in Mexico. Not sure about a Golf.