TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
May we know which hotel/motel it will be located at so we can at least make room reservations?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Ypsilanti Marriott at Eagle Crest. We will have a custom website for reservations in a few weeks.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And valet parking on site?:D
I hope parking will be included/free. At the 20th Miata Anniversary in 2009, the event almost collapsed when the resort tried to back out of including parking by requiring attendees pay whenever they left the parking area. Since the event included several drives, when that happened those of us who had registered started asking for our money back. The event organizers were able to talk the resort out of that idea. Why is it that these big resorts with multi-millions of dollars behind them charge for every little item such as WiFi access? Its funny that the smaller motels (both chain & independent) have free WiFi access for guests, but the big resorts charge their guests for it.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not only does it seem funny they charge for WiFi, but in this day and age where so many people have their own mobile hot-spots, you'd think they'd not bother.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
An employee at the local Verizon store suggested I download an app called pdanet for my Droid. It's a free download and allows you to tether to your computer, without paying any fees to Verizon. So unless the hotel is in a dead cell zone, I won't be paying for wifi.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not only does it seem funny they charge for WiFi, but in this day and age where so many people have their own mobile hot-spots, you'd think they'd not bother.
I find there's an inverse relationship between the "level" of the hotel and charging for WiFi. Marriott Fairfield doesn't. Courtyard doesn't. Full service Marriotts do.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Very cool...should be around this Labor Day....if so I'm in.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Mayor,

An employee at the local Verizon store suggested I download an app called pdanet for my Droid. It's a free download and allows you to tether to your computer, without paying any fees to Verizon.
Thanks for this info! I'm going to try this out on a trip soon. I've downloaded and installed the software. :) I wonder how VZW can tell you've tethered without an app while unable to track your usage with PDANet. Must be some phone magic. ;)

Scott

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
If I only want internet that weekend I'll stay home.
Isn't TDIFest, like other local and regional GTG, about getting out from behind the electronics?

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your priorities for Labo(u)r Day weekend.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Isn't TDIFest, like other local and regional GTG, about getting out from behind the electronics?

Jon, you really should stay home!! you been to too many Fests anyway!
:eek:;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You know TDIClubbers prefer to communicate via technology. We can all sit together in the lobby and post on TDIClub.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ah yes, the traditional "Losers in the lobby." :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Let's see:

I drive a TDI with a great many ELECTRONICS in FRONT of me. So to "get out from BEHIND the electronics" would mean to NOT drive the TDI. If that is the requirement to attend, then I'd have to drive my Miata to MI (the ECU is in the pax footwell so it is only "slightly" in front of me) :D

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
To Lug Nut's point, I always find it curious when I go to a gtg and there are some guys not talking to people but rather sitting on their laptops in some remote room. Our own big-bang-theory episode...so yes, step away from the screen and talk to people. You can do it!

anyway...we'll see. I actually may be driving through that area to MSU but the week before! ugh. Unless the boy has his own car and then maybe I'll send him as a proxy.

I also find it funny people are wanting to reserve a room already...obviously haven't been to Ypsilanti before...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. :rolleyes:

People aren't posted up in the lobby on their computers rather than socializing and participating in events. People have been known to, during downtime, gather in various areas and sometimes surf the internet. The term "Losers in the Lobby" was coined in Montreal where the only free internet in the hotel was in the lobby... hence people checking email and updating the forums/posting pics were all in the lobby (Saturday evening, IIRC).

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Nice Job MI Crew!

Hmmm... 569 miles and 10 hours away. I could make it there on one tank of Diesel...hopefully.
~800miles and 11.5 hrs from Boston, under one tank is doable (advantage- B4V )!

Great choice. Maybe I'll make this one: my TDIFest attendance rate has been pretty pathetic these past few years.
We're with you (and with you at your last fest)! Really want to make it this year!

Ah yes, the traditional "Losers in the lobby." :D
For those of you who weren't there, this may be hard to get. It was fun/funny!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
At the Lake Mills Fest there were more than a few people sitting in the lobby posting here, not talking to each other. And internet was available in the rooms.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man, there are some really AR people on this board. Why are you attacking those who check their email? If the location did not have room connectivity available in the 21st Century, then why go there? It sounds like they were at least STAYING there at the event! Next someone will be making derogatory comments about those who went to their rooms to sleep instead of sleeping in their TDIs! ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not attacking, but poking fun at the many introverts on this board, including me. We know who we are, we know what we do, and we have a sense of humor about it. At least I do. No harm intended.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
~800miles and 11.5 hrs from Boston, under one tank is doable (advantage- B4V)
I expect to do it in a B5.5 automatic too (but a more realistic 16 hrs. door-to-door).
Next someone will be making derogatory comments about those who went to their rooms to sleep instead of sleeping in their TDIs! ;)
Can't sleep, the next B100 station is next time zone over and closes in 8 hours. If I speed up, I'll use more fuel and run out before I get there. If I slow down to save fuel they'll be closed by the time I get there.
Slow road speed and high average speed means NO sleep.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Lug Nut is the only person I know who would take an extra day off work, so earn less money, in order to drive slower, to spend less money. Wait... did I get that right? Yeah. That's it. ;)

You need to get a picture of the back-end of a Prius and paste it on the back of the Passat, so people flying up behind you know you are moving so slowly. Around here, when I see the back of a Volkswagen my brain automatically assumes they are going 25% over the speed limit. :D

I've driven across country in VW Buses, and never drove that slow! You average like 55 or so, right? That is truly amazing right there. My hat is off to you, sir!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Being an introvert myself, why can I envision myself being one of those "Losers in the Lobby" at my first TDI Fest? One thing I would never do is an on-line chat with someone else in the "lobby". That would be pathetic on my part.