Keeping a Log Book of Maintenance Has Many Advantages

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Keeping a log book for each vehicle has many advantages that often go unnoticed.

For example, JeffT's careful record of diesel purchases versus distance driven will give him a heads-up, by showing a decrease in mileage or warn of a malfunction before a major repair is needed.

A log book can also make him aware of abnormal oil or fluid consumption, which could be the tip-off to a leak or other potential problem.

It also serves as a reminder that his vehicle is overdue for an oil and filter change, transmission service or other important maintenance.

When it's time to sell or trade his TDI, this kind of documentation can make a substantial difference in his vehicle's saleability. Any used car buyer will like to know what maintenance he did and when it occured.

In case of mechanical trouble, especially with an older TDI like Dominique Cormann's (nothing wrong with that), it may be useful to report to a mechanic exactly what work has been done in the past.

Since import cars have harder parts to find, JeffT might want to jot down, not only the original numbers for basic parts, but also the conversion numbers from among the readily available domestic brands. This can be a big time saver for him if a crisis occurs far from a major source of auto parts.

Here's some suggestions of 6 areas to consider that are worth keep record of:

1. Diesel fill-ups and mileage.
2. Addition of various fluids such as engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid and at what mileage.
3. Maintenance services performed: what, when, by whom and how much it cost.
4. Services performed other than routine maintenance, i.e. body repairs or paint, accessories installed, etc...
5. Insurance and/or registration information.
6. Basic part numbers and/or TDI specifications which may not be readily found in the owners manual - i.e. belts, hoses, headlamps, filters, diesel spark plugs (if you're Ric
)

kiki

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI 6mt; 2011 Golf TDI 6mt; 2005 MB E320 cdi; 2007 Passat Sport Wagon 6mt (FSI Turbo); 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke 4x4; 2004 Passat GLS TDI Wagon (Sold); y2k NB TDI (Sold); 1996 Passat TDI Wagon (Sold).
An excellent suggestion. I keep a 6" x 9" 70 sheet steno notebook in each of my cars to record all of this info. I also keep a separate data base on each car (using the steno notebooks to collect the data) to show intervals of specific service issues such as oil/pad/filter/belt changes etc. My fuel log is dated, and shows extreme detail: station and brand of fuel used, additive(s) that I used, trip odometer & master odometer readings, cost per gallon, gallons pumped, and cost of sale.

------------------
1996 Passat TDI Wagon; y2k NB TDI.
Reside in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Glad to see your in a good mood today Ric!

I use Microsoft Access as a database to record everything about my 3 vehicles. Includes maintenance performed on areas such as: Air Cleaner Element / Battery & Charging System / Cooling System / Emission Control Components / Engine Oil & Filter Changes / Fuel System / Front End Alignments / Tire Balances & Rotations / Transaxle Services / Tune-ups / Vital Statistics.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Good advice, Steve. Before I bought my TDI I briefly considered a 1975 Volvo from the original owner who had all the maintainance records, which certainly inspired confidence. He even had the original floor mats!

CSmith

I keep record of my mileage and MPG for a couple of reasons, but mainly because my fuel sender is shot! Without my fuel guage, I'm stuck to the "drive 500 miles and fill it up technique."

It was also interesting for me to observe how winter blend diesel really eats away at my MPG...probably by 4-5 mpg in my case.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
If, I buy a used car, and the owner cannot produce receipts or atleast a log book, then that tells me that the vehicle is just like any "average" abused vehicle on the road, and I won't pay over low book for it.

On the other hand, I don't mind paying high book or even over high book, if the vehicle has been well maintained by someone who cares enough to keep records!

Besides, there are too many easy ways to inspect a vehicle and see if it had any maintenance performed anyways.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited February 15, 2000).]

DOM!

I use a program called Kar Kare II for my PalmPilot that keeps track of up to 4 cars. It allows you to enter in current miles, gallons used, cost, vendor, etc. Then calulates gas mileage for you, and keeps a log for calculating driving costs, etc. Also you can program in service that needs to be done and at what miles so when you reach those miles it reminds you.
It is handy for me because I have it on me at all times so I can enter the information right at the gas station.

I met this guy (at the Terryville VW Show) with a newer Passat TDI who had a complete list of fill ups, etc. in spreadsheet form. Though it was cool.

DOM!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I keep a hard-bound log in my car and update it with every fill-up and maintenance action. I also have an Excel Spreadsheet that tracks everything. You're welcome to download a copy and adapt it for your use. It calculates just about everything.

Take care,

------------------
Scott Farrell, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/61,000 mi
Best Tank: 802-mi/55-mpg US

Scott's Jetta TDI Page
(Features TDI Articles, Sounds, Spreadsheet,
and www.TDIClub.com Stickers)

Hydesmith

TDI
2011 Sportwagen (Highline)
I too use a small hardbound steno style book for logging info for my TDI, noting kms traveled on how much fuel and any repairs, sometimes even travel notes. I am about to sell my 2004 TDI (approaching 300K, it has been an excellent vehicle overall), and moving up to a 2011 TDI Golf Highline wagon. Reviewing the notes has been fun, as well as instructive. I include at least bare fuel details, and at most, some travel details like grids for longer road trips, and notes along the way, like one that read "watched a herd of moose swim across a lake by the road, Jasper Nat'l Park".

I wonder whether anyone has found a nice pre-formatted logbook available retail on online that has all the columns set out to provide the right information.

One thing I'd be looking for in such a book is the right size, easy to stow in the glove box (with a pen!) and retrieve easily when refuelling, plus a simple wheel-style-calculator where you input your fuel and trip odometer readings to get actual fuel consumption (in litres/100km in my case). I used to have such a paper calculator, and used to have to half the actual fuel use, as the TDI was so efficient that the litres used for that distance was off the low end of the wheel's range!

Maybe my 'new' 2011 TDI will have some of this in its trip computer abilities, but it is nice to have a paper trail, where you can also make notes that are relevant to you as a driver/owner.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I too use a small hardbound steno style book for logging info for my TDI, noting kms traveled on how much fuel and any repairs, sometimes even travel notes. I am about to sell my 2004 TDI (approaching 300K, it has been an excellent vehicle overall), and moving up to a 2011 TDI Golf Highline wagon. Reviewing the notes has been fun, as well as instructive. I include at least bare fuel details, and at most, some travel details like grids for longer road trips, and notes along the way, like one that read "watched a herd of moose swim across a lake by the road, Jasper Nat'l Park".

I wonder whether anyone has found a nice pre-formatted logbook available retail on online that has all the columns set out to provide the right information.

One thing I'd be looking for in such a book is the right size, easy to stow in the glove box (with a pen!) and retrieve easily when refuelling, plus a simple wheel-style-calculator where you input your fuel and trip odometer readings to get actual fuel consumption (in litres/100km in my case). I used to have such a paper calculator, and used to have to half the actual fuel use, as the TDI was so efficient that the litres used for that distance was off the low end of the wheel's range!

Maybe my 'new' 2011 TDI will have some of this in its trip computer abilities, but it is nice to have a paper trail, where you can also make notes that are relevant to you as a driver/owner.
In the 18 years since this post was last updated I am sure someone has come up with a smart phone app to do what you are looking for!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I use the maintenance booklet in my owner's manual to jot down the major things.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
My car doesn’t have a liner under the hood as it was rotted. I use a permanent marker and record all oil changes and maintenance. I like it because It will always be with the car. I record parts replaced, brands, and date and mileage

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Microsoft Access data base has a vehicle maintenance data base template in it.
Can be modified if need be.
I use Access to track my fuel mileage and other things s/a my funds, bank accounts, home inventory & much more.
To much time on my hands?? :)