Door won't open from inside

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
Works just great from the outside. Took the door panel off when it started getting hard to open from the inside and I can't see anything wrong with it. Can verify the inside lever is moving the long rod behind the panel. Is the adjustment in the striker mechanism? The door got progressively harder and harder to open until now it won't open at all :( .

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
I would take of the striker assy. Shoot some WD-40 in there and work it with you hand/screw driver. It should free up. Then use some white lithium grease.

I had a similar issue on my drivers door, to the point that it broke the plastic handle release handle. Once I took it off and cleaned and greased it, been working fine since. Although I still have broken handle, but it still works if you support it before you open the door.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks I will try that. I notice nothing really moves on the striker when I pull the inside handle. Now I just have to fix the other 10 gremlins.

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
Follow up

That worked amazingly well. Just hit the latch mechanism with some Silicon Spray really well. Smooth as butter now. Now just have to get the other 10 gremlins :( .