Panaramic roof reliability/ issues?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Hello All TDI-ndividuals,
I'm finally about to move forward on a TDI Jetta Sportwagen purchase. I'm really looking fo a solid roof model, but am facing the possibility that may not be available when I'm seriously ready to purchase. If I had to buy one with the Pano roof, I wouldn't likely use it much. I'm in the PNW and the weather isn't roasting here very often. So, what issues are there with the Pano roofs? Do they need maintenance? Mostly anxious about possible breaking the glass or electronical issues.

Thanks for all input

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Mostly anxious about possible breaking the glass or electronical issues.

I have heard very little about breaking glass or electronic problems with the pano roof. Most of the problems reported are leaks caused by damaged rubber seals and drain line problems which both cause water problems. The sun screen has also caused problems for some. Both the sunscreen and the window itself have also been known to get out of their tracks. This often requires removing the entire headliner and replacing the entire frame (read: expensive).

My old '09 JSW had a pano roof and I live in the desert. I hated the "green house" effect. My roof never caused any problems (except for heat) but I rarely opened it. My current car has no pano roof (on purpose!).

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Greenhouse effect is bad, the sunshade isn't enough.

They can creak and pop on uneven roads when cold.

I have had a few that did random strange things like open on their own for no good reason.

If drains are not kept clean, they can cause leaks (regular sunroofs can too).

I understand not being able to find one without, they seem to be pretty rare. We had a fleet that had a whole bunch of them (all automatics of course). But beyond those, I would say more have them than do not.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Thanks for the input, peeps. As much as I klike the occasional air and the extra light, the risks outweigh the benefits. There are enough steel roofs around for me to lean that way :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
the audi allroad my jetta replaced had the pano roof. needless to say, my jetta has a steel roof :D
My '09 JSW had the pano roof. I now drive a Tiguan SE. The primary reason why I bought the SE version is because it is available WITHOUT the pano roof. All higher trim levels always have the pano roof as standard equipment.
Because of my experience with pano roofs, I now also have a steel roof.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not being able to find a Dub without Pano would cause me to shop a different brand. A Pano roof and factory Navi are probably 2 of the most ridiculous options that manufacturers inflict on people.