"CHECK" on Monsoon radio display

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
What does the word 'CHECK" on the radio display mean and how do I erase it? I read in one spot where it could be related to the 6 CD changer in trunk. Releasing the cd cartridge and reinserting it did temporarily remove check, but it returned. Thanks in advance for any input.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
Will do that tomorrow. Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there. The radio can tell you via scan tool what is wrong.

If you have a CD changer in the trunk and it is acting strange, or the cartridge is bad, but you do not use the device, you can code that out of the radio and it won't care about it.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Will check with VCDS later today. As a sidenote, I ran the auto scan a couple of days ago when it first appeared and it read the radio controller as having no faults. I will post what I find. Thanks for input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I know my Golf's radio will say "CHK MGZN" or something similar when the cartridge is either not installed all the way or when it is first scanning and loading after you put it in. I don't think my Passat has ever said anything but maybe it is just less finicky.

I'd ask the radio first if it has any DTCs and see what you find.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS scan of radio fault codes revealed no faults found. Scan of measuring blocks looked essentially normal from what I could tell. Voltage was 14.36, there were a lot of ok readings, and blocks 10 up yielded no findings which looked like they were normally empty fields. I think the issue is probably the 6 CD player in trunk. Need to get to it (time factor) and look at coding out trunk cd changer if need be. Will post further. Thanks.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My fix for radio issues was simple, a pioneer blue tooth head unit, install kit and wiring kit from crutchfield. I think less than 175 bucks. The head unit makes the monsoon system sound so much better. I haven't bought a CD since the peppers stadium arcadium album, i use blue tooth for streaming music from my phone in all my vehicles and boats. I dont bother with head units with cd players anymore. I wasted thousands on cds that would skip/scratch in a few months from 96 to about 08...no more CDs for me, digital only. Cd vs vinyl...what sounds best??? Answer: digital.

The monsoon system sounded so good i ended up adding an amp and subs to really round out the music and take all lows from my inside speakers and dedicate them to highs/mids.

The install was plug and play asside from soldering my adapter harness to the pioneer harness. The crutchfield tech line was great with assisting with install as it works for both steering wheel controls and standard of which i had exra wires because i didn't have the extra controls.

I cannot recommend it enough if you really dig quality sounding music.

You may find it cheaper on eBay/Amazon but the tech help from crutchfield was worth the 20 bucks or so i may have saved.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
Found answer.

When check appears instead of monsoon on the display, normal operation can be restored by holding the up arrow above the word seek on the toggle switch. What you do is hold the switch down for about 5 to 10 seconds and release and the display will go from check to your code or the number 1000. Then hold down same button again for 5 to 10 seconds and the radio will return to normal operation. Hold just below the word tune. As a side note, Brian if you read this , I used to get the chk mgzn or chk dsc on the jetta and removing the magazine and replacing it solved that problem. This was different. It only read "check" and the CD changer had no effect. Thanks again.