Thinking about buying a tdi

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
Well, gas prices are getting to me, so I'm alt to trade the suv in. generally, would 92k miles be bad for buying a
5speed? I knew the manuals age better than the autos, but just don't know if I should spring for the 05 with 92k or the 07 with 66k
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
Damn wrong button. but the 07 is about 2 grand more and pushing the budget. So no idea. Any advice would be appreciated.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Hmnnn... check my info in case I'm off base, but you may want to check the model year of that "07" TDI again- I don't think any TDIs came to North America in 2007.
=
There's lots of good reading on here. In my opinion 92K miles is no problem for a manual trans. Biggest question is if the car has had good maintenance.
=
You may find this of interest: (but don't let it scare you...)

[FONT=&quot]TDI common issues by series (all credit and thanks to OP!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=251236[/FONT]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Moose, welcome aboard! No such thing as a 2007MY TDI in N America.

Never 'push the limit of the budget'. You need to reserve funds for outstanding work, etc., as with any used car.

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
I apologize, read the paperwork wrong. There is a dealership with a 05.5 5speed with 92k for 12.9, and a 06 auto with about 92k for 14.5... Too high? They also are also quoting the certified preowned warranty for an extra 900. Or should I just wait for better?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I don't know what these cars should be selling for right now. I know used car prices across the board are high.

Having the CPO warranty could be a signficant benefit assuming it doesn't lapse at 100k miles.

I think you need to identify what equipment is on each car. Frankly, the car with the manual gearbox "appears" to be a better value.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I bought a CPO ALH {I did not pay extra for the warranty, just too much for the car] It added 2years and 24k miles to the existing factory warranty. And I had to use it for about $1000 in repairs.

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
I think they're pretty much the same. heated stuff, leather sunroof, manual seats, 6 disc mp3 stereos. So I think package 1 but not 2.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
my advice - get a honda/toyota/nissan/subaru......
Although I hear there is a great TDI mechanic down MD way.
I think that 2005 should be closer to $10k, keep looking

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Both jettas? I'd lean towards the 5 speed and save your money for the timing belt/camshaft replacement you'll have coming right up. That's $1500 minimum. If you're lucky the cam won't need to be done, but it is a BRM and they are known for wearing. Don't let the dealer do this work as part of the deal.

mose

TDI
15 Jetta SE TDI Auto
Now I'm wondering if the tdi premium would be worth the savings of fuel... Any idea on mileage of the gas ones? I know epa combined is 25, but I can't find beyond that.