Cranks but won't start...

skaclmbr

TDI
2003 VW New Beetle
Howdy!

I'm a newbie here, and am having problems with my '03 Beetle TDI (Raleigh, NC). In my attempts to fix it, I think I've gotten myself in a little deeper!

Here's the story:

Tried to start one day and it would crank, but not catch. The next day tried again, and after a bit of cranking and a few taps on the gas, started up and ran fine for several miles around town (with normal starts in between).

Then one day, it just wouldn't start at all. I checked the EGR valve - not stuck. Then I replaced the fuel filter, but did so before consulting TDIClub forums! Now I have a car with fuel in the filter, but not in the lines to the tank or from the filter to the engine.

Is anyone in the neighborhood with a hand vacuum to help me fill the lines and troubleshoot (I suspect that even with the lines full, it might not start)?

I'm also concerned of all the starting efforts without getting fuel to the engine has hurt it (battery is run down now). Is this a valid concern?

Thanks for any advice/help!!!!

Last edited:

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
probably haven't hurt anything, but need to get a charger on the battery, and need to get on a logical troubleshooting process. (assuming the battery is charged).... when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to "on", do the dash lights come on ? (I'm wondering about relay 109...)
=
Recommend also take a look at the gurus list, see if you can find someone nearby you. The benefit of their experience will help you to identify the culprit.
=
wish you all the best. please do post back what you find.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I would suggest you borrow a hand vacuum pump from a local autoparts store.

Or buy one of your own. You will almost certainly use it again, if you keep this car.

Your engine must reliably turn over more than 200 rpm, or it will not even attempt to fire. Your battery concerns are valid.