www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 14th, 2001, 07:31   #1
J
Veteran Member

Default disabling the "air release button" for the gas tank/ filler??

Does anyone know how to disable the button permanently? So we don't have to keep pushing it in every time we fill up? It seems like all that pushing, everytime we fill up, will someday lead to button failure, ya know?!
Can anyone help??
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2001, 07:46   #2
green+blue
Veteran Member

Default Re: disabling the "air release button" for the gas tank/ filler??

My $0.02 worth [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Button is depressed by filler cap when it is screwed in. Since we fill up half as often as gassers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] if we depress every time it will be used same amount as a gassers vent. Having the option means that if it is 110F and you pass a source for Premier at $1.199 gal you can stop and fill with a truck nosle w/o fear of overflowing... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
green+blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2001, 10:35   #3
mickey

I wouldn't mess with it. But I'm sure the Bentley manual describes how to remove it.

-mickey
Old June 14th, 2001, 10:39   #4
DeafBug
Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace

TDI(s): 2001 NB
Fuel Economy: numbers are good

I agree with mickey. I won't mess with it. I don't use it unless I know I am going to drive at least 40 miles in the next hour when I fill up. Search for posting of "vent trick" It explains more.
DeafBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2001, 13:50   #5
J
Veteran Member

whoooah,
Y'll see my member #, I haven't been around in awhile and haven't seem it, 1313 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] .. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] kinda spooky!!!
I'm not unlucky so don't let that fool ya, then again I'm not lucky either, so take it for what its worth!!
I use the "vent trick" every time I fill up! It's good for an xtra 2 gals of deez, which in turn is about 85-100 miles per tank!!! Who wouldn't want to use it regularly?
I live in VA so it's not too not 'round these parts, so I don't fear my tanks going to XPLODE or anything.

NO one knows?
J [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2001, 15:00   #6
jayb79
Veteran Member

Just position the fill nozzel so that the spring thats wraped around the outside of it holds the vent down(open) when filling.
jayb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2001, 15:34   #7
JeffT
Veteran Member

I think the question was on how to keep it permanently pressed, which is the state the putton is in 99.999% of the time anyway. I don't think the question was on how to defeat it, but on how to not have to depress it each time we fill up.

The only time the button isn't depressed is when we have removed the cap for filling. I have considered this same question, and I have a idea for a solution. If you took an old screw on gas cap and removed the threaded piece and created a hole in the end, then if you screwed it in when filling up, it would depress the vent button. This would have to be done each fill up however and removed before replacing the cap.
JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2001, 08:56   #8
michTDI
Veteran Member

I've heard people say that if you use the vent trick-you can't "let it sit" immediately-and that you have to drive 40 miles. I often fill up via vent trick-and then drive 2 miles-where the car sits all day at work and have never had a problem. Granted-we are just now getting to really hot weather (90 degrees the last few days). Has anyone had problems with filling up via vent trick-and then only driving a few miles before allowing the car to sit??? Volatility of diesel is lower than gas-so it doesn't seem that it would be a problem but???????????
michTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2001, 09:00   #9
Dante
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lifetime average: 43mpg

I agree. I filled-up and vented before work on one of the hottest days in Seattle last year and let it sit in the sun all day. No problem. If it's really hot (90s or above) you may want to exercise caution. Otherwise, IMHO, this concern is overblown.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2001, 10:10   #10
BlueBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49,43,38. 340,000+ miles

J,

My vent button is disabled. After a few times of using the vent trick, my button stuck in the vent position. Only the tip of the button was visible on close inspection. I think that it occured because I was pressing straight down on the button with the fuel filler nozzle while the buttin seems to go in at a 45 degree angle. I tryed to get the button to come back by prying with my ball point pen. To my suprise, the damn button disappeared into the hole, never to be seen again. I feared the worst, but have had no problems. I now get 14.5 to 15 gallons in the NB with just about a gallon of foam at the top of the tank instead of the 12 to 12.5 when the vent button was in operation. I find it much more pleasing to get 600 to 640 per tank vs. 480 to 520 in the old days. So my suggestion is to press the button beyond the hole and it will come loose and disappear in the fender somewhere.

-Tim [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S. - A big bonus is that I can now go 100 miles before the gas hand leaves the full mark.
BlueBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2001, 10:19   #11
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

Is there a safety issue involved here?
I don't understand it, but I think there's a gravity vent valve that closes off fuel tank venting in the event the car is tipped over. Would a stuck button bypass this safety feature?
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2001, 21:07   #12
Micwal
Veteran Member

It is actually pretty difficult to ignite diesel that is not atomized/sprayed. If it is pooled somewhere it actully needs an open flame or a very hot surface(ie catalytic converter) to ignite
Micwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2001, 01:00   #13
cptmox
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.2/48/42

Does a gas model have the tank vent?

Since our cars are designed as gasoline burners, and Diesel engines are squeezed in, couldn't the vent be specifically designed for the possible expansion of gasoline?

If it is present on the gas models, do the gas model owners even know about the vent?

Maybe it would be best that they did not know.
cptmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2001, 01:16   #14
car54
theGAME

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

Its not a safety vent. Its there to provide expansion space for gasoline. Diesel doesnt expand like gas, so if you fill up and let it sit, Youll have no problems. My volvo has no expansion space, and Ill top it off for 10 minutes, drive home and park it in the heat with no problem. Someone thinking of gasoline said it might overflow. nope. If it was there for safety, and the filler cap keeps it open when the cap is installed, hows it for safety? TDIers can safely remove their vent buttons without fear of overflowing, heat expansion, or explosion.
car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2001, 13:41   #15
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ltmox:
Does a gas model have the tank vent?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gassers do not have the vent button.
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote