www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 14th, 2019, 17:03   #16
WildChild80
Veteran Member

An once if prevention...it never hurts to flush early and then you just reset your count down till it gets done again...I try to minimize down time and anything I can do at the same time is just money in the bank...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:34   #17
sisyphus
Veteran Member

Well, I have VCDS but no motive, so I was going to bleed them the slow way but the first thing I found was the right rear caliper's bleed nipple is seized in pretty good. I didn't want to break it off, so I just did the left rear and called it good. Seems okay now. This is a big bummer.
sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:57   #18
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Get some cold putty for welding, or just a wet rag. Take a soldering flame to it for a few seconds, then hit it with cold water. Do this 3 or 4 times. Get a 8mm wrench and work it back and forth until it comes out. Work it cold, not hot as It will be softer. Your trying to shock the threads lose. As for preventing this in the future, smear some RTV sealant around the threads as the nipple is half way threaded in and finish it off. And get some dust boots and put a dab of rtv on the outside to keep them from flying off in a few years.
I started using high temp silicone grease on these threads and works like a charm.
I would not try doing this until you have the time to go grab a new caliper just incase it snaps off.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 13:41   #19
sisyphus
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan. I'm pretty sure I could get a bleed nipple out of one of the junk calipers I for some reason have sitting in the return boxes on the shelf, LOL.
sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote