throttle body delete?

Golden Dub

Dub Life: the only way to live!
TDI
2012 Golf
My f-350 has a throttle body that is always wide open from the computer. Is it possible to do this with a tdi 1.9L bew. I want to make a custom intake manifold and get rid of the throttle body.

Last edited:

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
I ripped out everything to do with the egr, I made 3 plates to block off all the holes that were left. I mean the throttle body for sure. Where the air intake line hooks up right now. Some diesels dont use it but still have it because they planned on using it but for what ever reason they decided not to and left it open. Instead they use fuel control and turbo control and eliminated the throttle body. I was thinking that if ford can do it then tuner people must be able to as well. I need to flip the intake to the other side so I can make a ram air setup through the hood where the intake pipe is right now, straight down to the turbo. When I make the intake manifold I dont want to have the throttle body there if I dont need it.

Last edited:

SeththeRuthless

TDI
A4 Jetta
I think you're looking for the DieselGeek RacePipe. If you're making a custom intake anyway, it may be cheaper to build your own.

Throttle bodies that actually control the airflow to the engine haven't been used since the old Mercedes diesels and some Perkins motors. These had a mechanically-actuated throttle (like a gasser) and the injection pump fueling was controlled by a vacuum diapragm that was connected to the intake.

Some diesels do use a butterfly valve in the intake to help direct egr flow and also serve as an emergency shutdown (if the turbo is leaking enough oil to fuel the engine).

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
you just made me think of something. I just had my turbo explode actually 2 in a row. Maybe there is a bunch of oil at the bottom of the intercooler now. So since there is no egr and I can shut off the car when it starts to blow oil like crazy out the exhaust. So That means that the throttle body can possibly be removed I hope.

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
no dude. What he's saying is there IS NO THROTTLE BODY on this car. Seththeruthless said this right above your post.

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
I have a 1.9L bew pumpe duse engine. I can clearly see a throttle body right there. If that is not a throttle body then it is an emergency shut down possibly, but the egr system is all after that so it cant be involved in that I dont think. The intake manifold has a runner system that blocks of a quarter of the air intake manifold to the block to increase exhaust gas usuage. That can only be a block off valve if its not a throttle body. Its like the emergency shut of valve rig trucks have so when they go to the well sites the engines wont blow because they are sucking in gases from the well site.

Well I guess I shold of look at the shop manual first it says variable intake manifold flap. v157, sounds like a throttle body to me or something like it.

Last edited:

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
variable intake manifold flap isn't necessarily a throttle body either. many gas cars have them. it's merely opened at a certain rpm to sustain top end flow/power, but closes down low to keep velocity up.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
The 'throttle' you are referring to is the anti-shudder valve. It stays open while the engine is running, and only shuts when you switch off to make the engine shutdown a little smoother.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
it wont do a dang thing if you take it out. no increase of power or mpg's. it doesnt shimmy or shake when you shut it down. but if your car runs away on you, you wont be able to shut it down.

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
I have never understood this. How is the car going to keep running if you shut off the fuel pump when you turn the key off. or what do you mean by run away? I am not really looking for a power increase. I just dont want to use it when I make the new intake manifold. which means it is one of those truck units for oil well sites and I can get one aftermarket, sweet, it just makes it easier for me to use a big aftermarket one. I want to use big pipes for this intake.

Last edited:

Nitroholic

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
vwcandy said:
I have never understood this. How is the car going to keep running if you shut off the fuel pump when you turn the key off. or what do you mean by run away? I am not really looking for a power increase. I just dont want to use it when I make the new intake manifold.
diesels will run on motor oil, ask me how I know :rolleyes:

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
If your turbo fails, it can pump engine oil into the inlet. The engine can run on this oil and cause a condition called runaway because it has loads of fuel (the oil pouring out of the turbo) and nothing to control it. The end result is the engine revs far beyond what the rotating parts can handle, while also running out of lubricating oil and it can be fatal for the engine. The only way to stop runaway is cut off the air supply, which makes that throttle quite handy.

Nitroholic

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
vwcandy said:
how does that work
say you blow your turbo, being that it's oil cooled, with flow through the intercooler pipes and into the engine. The engine will continue to run on the oil even if you shut off your engine. The antishutter valve is suppose to close and stop air entering the engine when you shut off the engine thus stopping the engine. But with that taken off you have little options to stop the engine when it's running away (get it in 5th and stop on the brakes)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Turbo shaft breaks, oil to turbo enters intake, engine ingests oil, oil combusts on compression, more oil available, no throttle or engine mgmt... watch rpm's hit the roof.

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
that is one of the craziest things I ever heard. Since when is oil a fuel, I thought it was a lubricant. You learn new things everyday they say and this sounds nuts, but I guess it happens.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Is he new to diesels?

Dude, he is gonna have his own line of performance parts!!!!! It says so right here...

Here is VWcandys' web page:

---------------------------------------------

VW TURBO DIESEL
A SITE DEDICATED TO ALL VW'S WITH DIESEL ENGINES.

FIRST PROJECT THE PUMPE DUSE.

WE WILL HAVE REVIEWS AND HELP WITH MOST PARTS. WE WILL ALSO BE MAKING OUR OWN LINE OF PERFORMANCE PARTS. HERE ARE SOME PLACES TO GO CHECK OUT. I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING AROUND AND HERE IS THE BEST I HAVE FOUND SO FAR.

WWW.SPRINTBOOSTERUSA.COM ACCELERATION MODIFIER.
WWW.KERMATDI.COM THIS IS THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING. DREAMLAND FOR THE VW DIESEL. SERIOUSLY. EXHAUSTS, TURBOS, SUPER TURBOS, GAUGES, COMPUTER PROGRAMMERS, COMPUTER DIAGNOSTIC GEAR, BLOCK HEATERS FOR WINTER, SKID PLATES AND MORE. YOU BUY DIAGNOSTIC GEAR FOR CAR, YOU TAKE THAT AND SCAN YOU VEHICLE WHILE YOU DRIVE AND LOG SOME DATA FILES ON HOW YOU CAR PERFORMS. TAKE THOSE FILES AND SEND THEM TO THE TUNING DEPARTMENT AND THEY CUSTOM TUNE A FILE FOR YOU AND SEND IT BACK, THEN YOU BUY THE PROGRAMMER AND LOAD THAT FILE ONTO THE PROGRAMMER AND THEN YOU PLUG THAT INTO YOUR CAR AND IN REPROGRAMS YOUR COMPUTER AND AWAY YOU GO. ALSO IF YOU EVER DO ANY MORE MODS YOU TAKE NEW READING WITH YOU COMPUTER AND SEND THEM A NEW FILE AND THEY SEND YOU A NEW FILE FOR FREE FOREVER! CRAZY STUFF!!! THAT COMPUTER IS AN ALL OUT SCANNER LIKE THEY USE AT THE DEALERSHIP, GREAT STUFF!

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH ANYTHING ELSE, I ALREADY DID AND WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT:
EMAIL
PHONE

BLOW BLACK SMOKE!

-------------------------------------------------------

Ain't ambition grand! I prefer to spend my money at tuners that know what they are doing...

Bill

Last edited:

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
these forums are really interesting. Look at all this crazy talk. You sure do learn alot of things. like this whole throttle body thing now oil for fuel and peanut oil, it makes no sense, I mean these oil for fuel things. I believe but it doesnt make sense. Have you seen peanut oil? that a fuel?? never would of imagined. Coal dust, see what I mean this is not normal stuff.

Last edited:

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
I am just making ram air intakes,intercoolers and exhausts. possibly cylinder heads, thats it. I bought a bunch of stuff and made a bunch of videos. Wait and see the jetta I am building. It doesnt mean I have to be a diesel expert does it? Dear mr 40x40 I am not a tuner I am just making parts. Kerma is the tuner for me anyway.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
vwcandy said:
I am just making ram air intakes,intercoolers and exhausts. possibly cylinder heads, thats it. It doesnt mean I have to be a diesel expert does it?
Well, Don't you think it would help if you had a CLUE how some of these things work?

LOL

Bill

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hey, this place is chock full of info... Take some time and do some reading. There are some real talented folks who post here often. There's a lot to be learned, no matter what your level.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Diesel is a light oil. Diesel engines(CI) will run on nearly anything that will burn. Rudolph Diesel imagined that his design could be used to run on any available fuel...including coal dust. I was however designed with farmers in mind....particularly peanut as that oil was plentiful at the time. The coal dust kept making the engines explode so he gave up and used oils.

The antishudder valve is important. Looks like a throttle...but htese are not air throttled engines. Acceleration is controlled soley by fuel. I would consider keeping the antishudder. Was it you who said you lost 2 turbos? If that is so...and you start the engine and get some boost going...and if you indeed have a bunch of oil in the aftercooler....then you will get a first hand experience of runaway. But take heart...I have all the parts to fix it if it blows up!(kidding...I wouldnt wish that on anyone...but I do have all the parts).

Nice to see someone else making parts...just be careful...good hardware is as important as good software.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
vwcandy said:
I am just making ram air intakes,intercoolers and exhausts. possibly cylinder heads, thats it. I bought a bunch of stuff and made a bunch of videos. Wait and see the jetta I am building. It doesnt mean I have to be a diesel expert does it? silly fool I am not a tuner I am just making parts. Kerma is the tuner for me anyway.
Having loads of fun up in B.C. I see! When you get a chance, post up some pix! I think it would be interesting.

Golden Dub

TDI
2012 Golf
I will be keeping the shut down valve but a bigger aftermarket one. And yes it was me who lost 2 turbos, and good thing I heard about the oil build up in the intercooler. I really appreciate everyones comments really interesting stuff. I was curious about that valve and my questions have been answered completely and then some. Now I can build that manifold properly. Again thanks everyone for your help.