Newbie to TDi

kmsbryans2018

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SEL TDi
Hi there, im new to the forum and fairly new to VW. My wife drives a 2015 VW Jetta with the TDi. The other day is was checking her engine oil level and noticed a components that had a lot of white crust encasing it. At first glance I thought holy craps that's a lot of battery corrosion... But then I realized it wasn't even close to the battery. When I got next to the crusty material I could tell it was from a Blue DEF leak and that what I was seeing was where it had crystallized. I'm not certain what to call the component that it appears to be coming from therefore I have no idea where to begin researching what needs to be done in order to fix the leak and repair the problem.

Side note:
On the instrument cluster, the light indicating to add DEF to the system was coming on along with the wrench light. Both were orange which according to the owners manual meant that something was malfunctioning with the DEF system. The check engine light was also on. Now the add DEF light and wrench light have turned off but the check engine light is still on. My assumption is that the engine light is related to the other 2 lights. I will have someone run the codes. But I need to identify this component so that I'll be able to figure out what to do next.

I'm a service manager for a Kubota tractor dealership and have been in the auto parts industry for many years but I'm just not sure what to call this component. Hopefully I can get some help from somebody here, on how to upload a photo to this thread...

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Add blue

Well, I assume the car might still be under warranty since it is a 2015, take to the dealer, let them figure it out since there will be no charge to you. As for the add blue, make sure you have enough in the add blue tank to keep the car running.

kmsbryans2018

TDI
2015 VW Jetta SEL TDi
Nope, the car is no longer under warranty you're forgetting that there's a mileage limitation attached to those warranties. If I knew what this component was I would be able to diagnose and fix the problem myself. But I can't seem to figure out how to add a photo to this forum so that someone can tell me what it is called. That is precisely why in my original post I asked for help with uploading photos. But I appreciate your reply.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Be sure to check out the actual warranty mileage because the Dieselgate vehicles
had to be repaired and the warranty is quite lengthy. It is understandable that
you may not have been told all this by whomever you bought it from.