EGR on Euro TDIs... Any hazle?

Diesel-Bear

Veteran Member
Hi everybody,

As most of us know (by now) the EGR is the root of major polution in the intake manifold.

The good citizens of America seem to have a lot of trouble disconecting their EGR. Is this also the case i Euro-land?

The reason I ask is, that some British owners of the 110 Hp TDI have simply disconeted the wire to the EGR with no other effect, than the EGR-valve seem to stay shut.

So My question is: Is this true for any Euro-model of the TDI ??? Perticulaly the new PD-models!

Any input will be greatly apreciated, and shold You find the time to do a complete "disengaging manual" You are sure to be a hero in many euro-garages

S

SkyPup

Euros do not have the On Board Diagnostics OBD II like we do over here in the states. That is what gets messed up and turns on the blinking check engine lights when you simply disconnect the EGR to make it disfunctional since there is an EGR map and a MAF map that must be correlated or else trips a fault.

As far as I know, no European automobile has an OBD II software interface to monitor everything.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Has any Euro member had any sludgeing manifold problems? (With or without mods)

Part of my EGR system seems to be vented to the atmosphere with a small filter. Not totally sealed as the US systems. This is not a mod, it the same on all Eurovan TDIs. I think unhampered by so much diesel emmission legislation here VW are only using a limited EGR system. (I'm guessing now)

[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: Brodie ]

MTMTDI

Veteran Member
I had a 1999 golf 110hp tdi. I disconected the egr solenoid by taking off the electric connector and had no worries. But it was not the PD engine. Now I have the 130hp PD engine and I would also like to know what happens if I unplug the solenoid? Does this cause an error code in ecu's memory?

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
Now I've got the VAG-COM and I can see what's going on I'll try that. I never get a MIL light on what ever I unplug. This seems to be just some weird thing with my vehicle but I do get a faithful description of each disconnected sensor from the VAG-COM when I check for fault codes. If I get a minute I'll check tomorrow.

A Euro version of OBD 2 is coming to the UK in the next few years. ECU codes will be checked at annual inspection and any car that has codes recorded will fail. As far as I know most European cars will not flag a code for a strictly emmissions related fault. But if that fault affects performance or safety the light will be tripped.

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Brodie ]

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
hi,
just two questions:
1)Will disconnecting the EGR reduce fuel consumption?
2)Can it be harmfull in any way for the engine (more oxygen=more heat=more stress on the engine)?
TIA,
Eric

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I tried disconnecting the multiplug for the EGR solonoid. I didn't get the code I expected! I got-

01242 Output stages in engine control module 27-00 incorrect signal.

Eh? Don't know what that means.

The EGR solonoid unit is shared by the turbo boost solonoid so I tried disconnecting that multiplug. No code. Even with the engine running.

I'm fairly sure my that my slightly unusual TDI still uses the glow plug light as a "Check engine" light but I've never been able to make it come on. (Despite all my deliberate sabotage)
I wonder if the light has been disabled somehow?

Eric- I remember Skypup saying something about increased exhaust gas temperatures with EGR by-pass....

Geez, I gotta get out of this business!

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I just realised why the turbo pressure solonoid didn't trip a code. I ran the engine but never never asked for any boost

Diesel-Bear

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Maurier:
1)Will disconnecting the EGR reduce fuel consumption?
2)Can it be harmfull in any way for the engine (more oxygen=more heat=more stress on the engine)?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

juging on all previous entries. the disconnection of the EGR has no ill side effects (apart from a slightly raised soot emision).

I.e. when ever the engine draws the most air (oxygin) the EGR-valve should be off. If I remember corectly, the EGR should be open when ever You cruise at low revolutions, and shut during aggrevated acceleration or max speed tries. Can anybody (e.g. Sky Pup og Valois) confirm or correct this?

The major reason to shut of the EGR is to get rid of all that soot and crud building up in the intake manifold and intercooler. This has been demonstrated many times on US VWs but gere in Europe we should be better protected as our diesel is all low solphur (spelled right?).

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diesel-Bear:
I.e. when ever the engine draws the most air (oxygin) the EGR-valve should be off. If I remember corectly, the EGR should be open when ever You cruise at low revolutions, and shut during aggrevated acceleration or max speed tries. Can anybody (e.g. Sky Pup og Valois) confirm or correct this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I'm not Skypup nor Valois
but I can confirm: when going full throttle, the EGR shuts down, look there: http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/ericmaurier/VAG-COM/image008.gif
or here for the thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=001877

I wish I could have disconnected the EGR valve on my Peugeot TD - the inlet manifold was caked with oily soot (about 5mm in some places). Horrible.

Fortunately I am buying a second hand Audi A4 110TDI SE - nice!

Goes like stink, and is even more economical than the pug. I promise to post a nice picture very soon!

Is it very easy to disconnect the EGR valve on the VAG 1.9 diesel (older model)?

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Yes it is.
Find the EGR valve on the inlet manifold.
Now find the thin rubber hose that goes to it.
Now follow that hose back away from the EGR valve until it gets to a solenoid.
The solenoid has a pair of wires plugged into it.
Unplug the plug with those two wires.
Your EGR is now history.

Disconnecting EGR does not increase soot emissions, in fact it probably reduces them.

EGR is there to reduce NOx emissions, and so disconnecting EGR will increase your NOx emissions.

But it will also make the engine (and therefore the whole car) maybe last 25 or 30% longer.

Now that must be good for the environment, when you think how much power and materials are needed to build a new car 25% more often.

Diesel-Bear

Veteran Member
Great input Christi

It's exactly down to earth instructions as yours we need.

Remaining question is: Is this true for any model of ther TDI engine? Or is it only valid advise for Your (gracefully) aging B4 Passat

Many of us now have these new PD engines. Does this advise apply to any of those engines as well?

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I can tell you it works for a brand new 2001 90 TDI, ALH code. Just did it yesterday. The ECU will detect it at once, but it won't turn on the CEL nor put the engine in limp mode. Just throws an error code.

MTMTDI

Veteran Member
I had to find out. So I went and disconneted EGR by unplugging electric connetor to the EGR solenoid. Result: no glow plug light and everything seems work normally. There might be error code in the ECU's memory and propably will be, but I don't have any tools to confirm that.

----------------------------
Audi A3 TDI 130 untouched hp