AdBlue and Fuel Pump Failure

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
$2k repair on a 2yr old car with 63k mi? A big thumbs down to VW for this. They should be willing to work with you on that cost. Are you having it serviced at the dealership where you bought the car?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I believe the AdBlue pump is part of the AdBlue heater repair kit (all-in-one assembly), which is just shy of $600. I'm skeptical of VW's claim that this component is only covered under the 2/24K warranty, as the vehicle does not conform to federal emissions standards with the AdBlue system inoperable. In some states, proof of an emissions inspection failure will force VW's hand, but Texas has no such testing for diesels.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-rep-kit_2764367.html

http://www.partsbase.org/parts/vw-561198970/

Another option, being in Texas, is you could remove the emissions control systems. However, this comes with its own set of implications and ramifications, considering federal emissions compliance requirements.

• These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
    [*]Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
    [*]It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Another option, being in Texas, is you could remove the emissions control systems. However, this comes with its own set of implications and ramifications, considering federal emissions compliance requirements. ...
This is a no-no in texas too.
No person may sell, offer for sale, or use any system or device which circumvents or alters any system, device, engine, or any part thereof, installed by a vehicle manufacturer to comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Control Program during actual in-use operation of a motor vehicle on Texas roadways. A notice of the prohibitions and requirements of this subsection shall be displayed at all motor vehicle parts, supply, repair, alternative fuel conversion, or other vehicle service facilities in Texas which sell, offer for sale, install, or offer to install any vehicle emission control, exhaust system or device, aftermarket alternative fuel conversion, or engine. The notice shall be displayed in a prominent and conspicuous location near each consumer entrance way and service counter. The notice shall read: "State law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, or using any system or device for the purpose of circumventing the emission control device on a vehicle or vehicle engine. State law also prohibits any person from removing or disconnecting any part of the emission control system of a motor vehicle, except to install replacement parts which are equally effective in reducing emissions. Violators are subject to penalties under the TCAA of up to $25,000 per violation."

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
VW 101: How to lose a customer in two ease steps.

Sad they continue to consider the adblue system not part of the exhaust system for warranty coverage despite every other manufacturer and the EPA disagreeing. I've seen EPA responses on this issue, one even on this site iirc. Call the nearest EPA office and let VW know.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
Hmmm, a $200 Adblue pump, $3-5,000 Turbo, pretty much negates any fuel savings!
My 30K service is Thursday, may have to go visit the Toyota dealer next door, I see another trouble free Camry in my future

rdwalton

TDI
2012 Passat
Well, I went to the Acura dealer and explained the deal with the engine light and they still gave me full value (I guess) for my Passat TDI. So traded it in and got an Acura TL. Gonna miss the gas mileage, but oh well.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
My Camry wasn't trouble free. Evaporator core, interior door panels replaced. A/C always smelled of manure or locker room and is a widespread problem.

Anyways I'm planning some bill boards to educate the public on VWOAs faith in their emissions components. They'll be conviently near dealers. I'm sure they won't mind.

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
My Camry wasn't trouble free. Evaporator core, interior door panels replaced. A/C always smelled of manure or locker room and is a widespread problem.

Anyways I'm planning some bill boards to educate the public on VWOAs faith in their emissions components. They'll be conviently near dealers. I'm sure they won't mind.
62K in 26 months, no issues until it was T-boned by a red light runner!
Sounds like a plan, please post some pics.

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
Interesting! You're the first one that I know of to have a fuel pump failure. Replacement/repair of this failure on the Passat is considerably less expensive than the commonrail engines with piezo injectors.

As long as they got you fixed up, I wouldn't worry about it. For now, you're the unlucky one in a huge sample size.
I had a fuel pump (injector pump) failure earlier this year in my previous TDI. IT WAS $1,717 job. Crazy. And I met 2 folks in the service waiting area whose AdBlue pump sh*t the bed. They spent $1,100 each on their repairs.
The reason I got a 2014 Jetta was so I wouldn't have this AdBlue system to worry about. I'm sure 99% of them will never have trouble, but with my luck... Plus I got a sweet deal on the 2014 :).

Last edited:

brucefoss

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Ad Blue Heating Element Failure

2013 Passat with adblue heating element failure. Not really willing to spend the quoted $1,200.00 to repair with buyback looming. Dealer warned that if ambient temp drops below 30F, car will not start. can anyone comment on that?

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
Bruce I have had the heater not working for 2 winters without an issue. I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the $1200. I'm in Md so it goes below 30 but not into the negative numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Things will go ok until -11C (Adblue freezing pnt)

Check

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=386891

If it freezes it will dent your 200 miles "death count" as it will feel no urea flowing, but you should be back in bussiness after it thaws.

PD. I live in Houston, no problem with -11C.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
lots on here drive with the heater failure, My coworker has had his light on for several winters and had no issues with temps in the northwest

Hazzlett

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI execline
AdBlue pump

we have 2012 Touareg TDI execline with 152000 kms. Going for the buyback! My question is about the Adblue pump. CEL came on a few weeks ago and we had it checked but nothing showed so it was cleared. Came on again about a week after that, went out, came on again so had it checked again. We hoped heater failure as we have extended warranty but said no it was the pump. They said they would put call in to vw rep to see what they would do as 3l class case coming to court April 5th (Canada). Dealership has had no reply back from vw rep yet ! My question is what happens if we do not replace pump? We want to keep driving the car till buyout. Grandkids live 200 kms away...is driving it that distance a problem? Don't want to spend $1000 + on it !

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Might be a good time to invest in a Ross-Tech VAG-COM. Just keep clearing the codes until you sell the car back to VW. As long as you're not getting a countdown to no start, you'll be fine.

Hazzlett

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI execline
"Might be a good time to invest in a Ross-Tech VAG-COM. Just keep clearing the codes until you sell the car back to VW. As long as you're not getting a countdown to no start, you'll be fine."
Thanks for that. cel was cleared and has not come back on yet. Keeping fingers crossed.