Odometer replaced - Buyback question

sergeo7

TDI
2010 Q7, 2011 Jetta
I imported my 2011 Jetta TDi into Canada from US. I replaced the odometer from miles to km. I ordered the original odometer from the dealer and had dealer replace it. All data including mileage was copied to the new odometer. I have all the documents.

I am planning to take my car for the buyback. If I answer the question odometer was replaced will it impede the buyback somehow? should i purchase a new odometer in miles and have dealer put it in? Maybe vw has a record of me replacing odometer already since it was done at the dealer.

what should I do?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You shouldn't have needed to "replace" the odometer to change it from miles to KM - a simple switch in the ecu should have done that. At least on my 2000 NB it's that way.

sergeo7

TDI
2010 Q7, 2011 Jetta
You shouldn't have needed to "replace" the odometer to change it from miles to KM - a simple switch in the ecu should have done that. At least on my 2000 NB it's that way.
Odometer = Cluster = Speedometer was changed to have KM/H not Miles/H as a main indicator and temperature from F to C.

your comment doesn't help my situation.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was pointing out that your assumption of replacing the cluster seems rather unneccessary and if so, you got seriously ripped for for a new cluster. I cannot imagine VW going backwards on what amounts to a display device (the cluster) .

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Odometer = Cluster = Speedometer was changed to have KM/H not Miles/H as a main indicator and temperature from F to C.

your comment doesn't help my situation.

I think you got ripped off for a new cluster. Heck my New Beetle got a transmission replacement (4 speed automatic => 5 speed manual), and all the mechanic had to do was tell the ECU what transmission it had for the correct display. There is also instructions in the owners manual on how to change it from US units to metric.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
You are going off topic. Hopefully someone with a replaced odometer & buyback will chime in.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Folks, the "odometer" is not the issue; the "speedometer" is the issue because on vehicles sold in USA the primary units are miles and Canada requires it to be marked in kilometers. Now it's probably the case that the km are present in minuscule hardly-legible numbers on the US instrument cluster, which is normally enough to satisfy the legal requirements, but perhaps someone wanted to do the job "right" and get kilometers as the primary display units. That's not something you can change by software ... it's physically printed on the instrument cluster.

The odometer gets affected because if you replace the speedometer, you replace the odometer ... it's part of the same assembly.

By the way, some cars sold in Canada do not have the US units printed on the instruments at all ... the speedo in my '96 Passat was metric only, same as the mainland-Europe instruments for that car. I do not know if the reverse might be the case for some US market cars.

Anyhow, IN THEORY, the mileage on the original odometer should have been recorded at the time of instrument cluster replacement, and IN THEORY, a sticker should have been affixed to the left door jamb indicating what that original odometer reading was, and IN THEORY, given that the work was done at a VW dealer, it should have been logged and associated with that VIN in VW's computer system, and IN THEORY, answering that question about whether the odometer was replaced with "yes" should prompt additional questions about how much mileage was on the car at the time of odometer replacement and what's on the current odometer right now, and IN THEORY, that's the number that should be used for buyback purposes. So, IN THEORY, that's how it should work.

In practice ... Who knows. I don't recall ever seeing this come up before.

sergeo7

TDI
2010 Q7, 2011 Jetta
Folks, the "odometer" is not the issue; the "speedometer" is the issue because on vehicles sold in USA the primary units are miles and Canada requires it to be marked in kilometers. Now it's probably the case that the km are present in minuscule hardly-legible numbers on the US instrument cluster, which is normally enough to satisfy the legal requirements, but perhaps someone wanted to do the job "right" and get kilometers as the primary display units. That's not something you can change by software ... it's physically printed on the instrument cluster.

The odometer gets affected because if you replace the speedometer, you replace the odometer ... it's part of the same assembly.

By the way, some cars sold in Canada do not have the US units printed on the instruments at all ... the speedo in my '96 Passat was metric only, same as the mainland-Europe instruments for that car. I do not know if the reverse might be the case for some US market cars.

Anyhow, IN THEORY, the mileage on the original odometer should have been recorded at the time of instrument cluster replacement, and IN THEORY, a sticker should have been affixed to the left door jamb indicating what that original odometer reading was, and IN THEORY, given that the work was done at a VW dealer, it should have been logged and associated with that VIN in VW's computer system, and IN THEORY, answering that question about whether the odometer was replaced with "yes" should prompt additional questions about how much mileage was on the car at the time of odometer replacement and what's on the current odometer right now, and IN THEORY, that's the number that should be used for buyback purposes. So, IN THEORY, that's how it should work.

In practice ... Who knows. I don't recall ever seeing this come up before.
At the time of replacement they copied mileage from original odometer to the new one (converted to km). It's only possible to change the mileage if odometer is brand new. I also have the old odometer and all the receipts, but I can't put it back since they will not be able to adjust the mileage. I might have to prove that they copied the km but it's all in their system and on the receipt.
The problem is if they decide to resell the car in US they will have to replace the odometer again using a brand new part.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I imported my 2011 Jetta TDi into Canada from US.
Isn't this the more important question? Will VW Canada buy back a car that wasn't originally sold in Canada? Seems I recall issues with cars originally sold in Canada not being eligible for buyback in the US.

sergeo7

TDI
2010 Q7, 2011 Jetta
Isn't this the more important question? Will VW Canada buy back a car that wasn't originally sold in Canada? Seems I recall issues with cars originally sold in Canada not being eligible for buyback in the US.
Off topic again. Vw Canada will not buy back the car but vw USA will. They approved buy back for cars exported to Canada. I will have to take a car to a us dealer and get a us check.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Did you look to see if the car is eligible per below? Enter the VIN and see.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/

I think so long as you register it in a US state you'd be fine if it's an eligible vehicle. I don't know if there's something in the settlement about the car going out of the country and then back in. If registration requires an inspection that requires the cluster to be in mph then you'll probably need a new cluster coded to the car.

Also the cluster, ECU, and ignition are all linked and require a dealer or an authorized shop to code in any of those items if they're replaced. I know you probably know that but just pointing that out.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
At the time of replacement they copied mileage from original odometer to the new one (converted to km). It's only possible to change the mileage if odometer is brand new. I also have the old odometer and all the receipts, but I can't put it back since they will not be able to adjust the mileage. I might have to prove that they copied the km but it's all in their system and on the receipt.
The problem is if they decide to resell the car in US they will have to replace the odometer again using a brand new part.
As GoFaster alluded to, this is a heavily regulated area of law and as long as you replaced the cluster through authorized channels the process will be well-documented. It may be the case that a "yes" answer will trigger closer scrutiny, but a "no" answer will be fraudulent and risk outright rejection of your claim. Therefore, the question of how to answer on the form is merely an academic discussion.

shortstuff_mt

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof DSG
I also had my instrument cluster replaced as it was scratched while in the body shop following an accident. The cluster was replaced by the dealership and the correct mileage transferred to the new cluster. I was able to successfully return my Passat on an early lease termination with no problems.