how to remove turbo

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
06 BRM - finally getting around to replacing the turbo. Wondering how to remove it. I remember finding a post on dropping the passenger axle to get it out. Any decent write ups? pics?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Most of it's from underneath. You have to remove the axle, EGR cooler and anything else attached to the turbo. They are not terrible to do, but it's more involved than just removing the axle.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I take the subframe down, because it is easy, and I like making things easier. You do not have to do this, however.

Take the axle out, taking the catalyst/downpipe down, take the throttle flap off (easier to reach back there from above to get the oil feed pipe fitting), then mostly it comes out the bottom. EGR cooler stays bolted to the block, but obviously the one little tube has to come off, and of course the turbo drain tube/support rod.

The little stove pipe can be tricky.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
alright, got my cat and egr removed. How do i get to the 2 nuts on top of the exhaust manifold on the driver side? I can see the outside one but cant get a socket on it, small metal tube (vacuum line i believe) in the way.

got the spring clip off the rubber hose to the turbo on that side too. what else needs to be removed?

im taking pics as i go so i can do a write up.

Last edited:

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I never have trouble with any of the nuts. I just use short and deep 3/8” sockets with maybe a 1” extension if the deep is too long. The vacuum line is probably change over on the EGR cooler. It isn’t rigidly mounted anywhere.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Ok ill see what i can do to get those two nuts off. Anything else that has to be removed from the turbo or other wise? or do i pull the exhaust manifold and turbo as a unit with the actuator (the rod/vacuum think attached to the turbo)? do I need to remove the intake manifold?

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
You don’t have much of a choice but to pull the turbo and exhaust manifold together. ;)

I just remove the passenger side axle, EGR cooler, turbo brace/oil drain tube and pull the turbo from the bottom. It’s a good time to change your heater hoses if they’re swelled from oil like most are. The oil feed line sometimes twists up when the union loosens from the turbo before the flare nut looses from the union. You can take an open end 14mm wrench and grind the jaws thinner and cut it in half to counterhold the union to try to prevent having to replace the oil feed line. It’s not very fun to replace. There is a 10mm head bolt kind of near the brake booster area that clamps the feed rigid. I remove that little bolt so there is a little wiggle room with the feed line.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Doesnt matter got the turbo appart. the smaller van chewed into the housing, Fins are damaged. Guess im looking for another turbo. Any idea what years engines turbos will work? 2.0? only tdi or do gas turbos work as well? Found a good deal on a 07 passat 2.0 fsi turbo, a K03 1.8l turbo from a 00-05, and a K03 part #058 145 703

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The diesel units are completely different than the gas ones.

You can use one from the same engine, or there are a couple upgrades if you want to spend some more money and will require a few other items be changed as well.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Alright, got the new turbo in. Cat bolted up. Metal line on top of turbo on. Metal tube from bottom of turbo to engine on. Intake on driver side to turbo on. Big rubber hose with spring clip on. Asv assembly on.

What am I missing? Felt like everything bolted up to easy. Cooler deleted. Block off plate on exhaust and intake.

Also, anyone have pics of where vacuum lines go? I know should have marked them/pics.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
Axle?

I have replaced the turbo maybe 4 or 5 times now due to various issues. I have never removed the axle. In fact, the exhaust manifold can stay intact if you are only replacing the cartridge as everything can be removed from the top. What turbo did you end up going with?