Winter Fuel Sensativity?

KDNelson03

TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI BRM W/DSG
Has anyone notice a dramatic sensitivity to winterized fuel? Just a question to see if it is something else or if it depends on area and fuels.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It really depends on area and how heavily treated the winter blend is. In NC, I'd typically see a few mpg drop due to winter blend. At most 10% but typically 5%. Going to northern Indiana this winter, I saw an almost 20% drop. Of course, this winter was also much colder so the engine is working harder too.

KDNelson03

TDI
Sorry for taking long to get back to you, I got busy building a 350ft fence for the backyard to make the wife happy.

I have noticed what I can best describe as hesitation when I get on the gas hard. The engine reacts like it is loosing fuel. I've been thinking fuel pump, but then after a fill up the other day the problem went away and thought that this is the time they switch away from winterized diesel. Not sure.

What are the symptoms of a fuel pump going out?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Sounds like you just got a bad batch of fuel. I see people always talking about winter fuel this winter fuel that. Here in MN we have heavily treated fuel and I don't have problems and I have even driven to TX and back in the winter and noticed no difference in their fuel vs ours. The MPG that you loose is from the ambient temp. When its cold then you channel more heat away for the cabin and its cold out you loose efficiency. This is just my .02 and I am sure someone will attack it, but ambient temp/warm up time is the mpg killer.

KDNelson03

TDI
I'd say it was a bad batch of fuel but it did it for about 6 or 7 full tanks. I was chatting with my brother who is a Diesel mechanic for farm equipment and has a early 2000's Ram with a 5.9 all tricked out and he suggested the winter fuel might be the cause. He first said it could be water in the fuel too.

What are the symptoms of a fuel pump going out?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Not sure about the BRM, but Have you checked the lift pump? If it is still running decent, but having some inconsistency I could see the lift pump acting up. Not really sure just trying to throw ideas around. Maybe it needs to have some cleaning done since it is in the tank where there could be debris. If your main pump was failing I would imagine a WOT run would be pretty rough so if you are not down on power I don't think that is it.