Can someone help me find a belt

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3
Hello. I have a 1999 Mk3 Jetta, Says AHU on a sticker on the engine, has no A/C. Every belt I buy for my Jetta is the wrong size. Napa, AutoZone, even IDParts have all given me belts that are way too big.
Should I be getting the belts from somewhere special? Does anyone know the right part number for the proper belts?
Stupid question, but I was wondering if it's possible I have a 1z engine even if the sticker says AHU? Would the belts be a different size if I did?
Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Never seen an A3 TDI Jetta without A/C, was it actually built that way?

Does it have power steering?

Best I can tell from ETKA is Canadian models, where A/C was optional, show a shorter belt with the big spring loaded deal on the alternator for adjustment (no separate tensioner), and the belt length is 1033mm vs. 1153mm for the USA cars that had A/C standard.

Last edited:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
Stupid question, but I was wondering if it's possible I have a 1z engine even if the sticker says AHU?
its not a stupid question.

the 1z went in early passats, the ahu in jettas about 2years later. i cannt say for sure of the same year passats,(as to the jettas) late '90s which code they had. 1z and AHU are the same in almost all ways, there may be some small differences in the models (passat vs the jetta).
oil asked you if you have power steering, same question from me, also in the same question so you have a separate v-belt driving the water pump as well as the power steering pump?
i think in my bentley theres a small section in -a- belts area, cannt say the chapter where that belt (like he says w/o A/C) drives the water pump as well, cannt say for sure if that type has power steering off the same accessory/serpentine belt. probably does. (no separate v-belt)cannt say for sure,, think i ve seen it, a notation some where, comes to mind i ve seen it in my manual. dont use that, as mine have the std set up, just seems i ve crossed that -notation.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i need to correct, i found the section. just decided to look it up, as im sure it is in my book. so its in my maintenance section, 0-21. there is a separate v-belt to drive, it looks like only from crank outside pulley to power steering. its a couple of lines, and doesnt show much, as far as that belt travel or such(separate pics). im still wondering if that (serpentine)belt drives the water pump. there may be a notation in a later section where the belt drives the water pump. interesting subject. the section im looking at gives a tool number(thats for the alternator adjustment) but not any(other) info as far as belt. make sure when you go to the parts counter you specifically are looking for that belt for non-A/C vehicle. its a stock 'option' if you will, or non-option.

luke.weiser

TDI
1998 Jetta MK3
Yeah, the water pump is turned by the serp. The only thing turned by the v-belt is the Power steering pump. Found one of those that fits, but can't get any serp belts to fit. Does the Bentley manual say anything about how long the belt is?

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
like i posted above, the manual gives a few lines on this, and a generic pic of the P/S belt(the v-belt, its yours in this pic), generally im a little of question how it works. as it seems is suggests that you find a tension, with a tool, and then run motor, shortly, -then tighten the alt bolts. these will be the belt tension bolts. just a question as how the whole thing works. as what(?), it says the alt has the spring(s) on it, or its pulley. in any case.
the manual, as i said gives a tool number, but the small section i found gives no other info to that belt. or the other. like i suggested when you order, when you get to parts counter make sure you make it clear you want a belt for a non-A/C car. on their parts list they will have info for the part your looking for, and in a list. the parts guy i use will let me look at his info. as i ve known him. check it out and see on his list if that belt is an option. as its well and possible that store doesnt have it available. check online. perhaps PP, or autohausaz, just a guess. call partsplace in the morning, they have quite a bit of info and knowledge there.
and while your at it, oil gave you a belt measurement, verify that with someone reputable, even perhaps your local VW dealer, and write it, and a part number for it down. would be smart.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
For reasons passing understanding I have one on my desk, I believe. MK3 TDIs w/o A/C were sold in Canada. If you want it give me a call at IDParts tomorrow and we'll send it out. -Peter

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
and the belt length is 1033mm vs. 1153mm for the USA cars that had A/C standard.
I'm not sure if this is correct or not.
One with A/C is 1145mm long.
indigo, it looks in your pic that belt has a 1120 measure(circumference or length). your A/C belt measure comes up to 1145,
oil has some different measurements, perhaps close. 1033 for his (non-A/C)belt. yours is (more than)a little shorter. even your A/Cstd belt is a little different. @less than 10 mm difference. his belt (<posters) is over 10mmshorter,difference. may be try and see if it fits,works.

not really sure of the (exact)measurement myself, i just go into napa and get a gates type belt. i do believe they, like a lot of parts stores have their own part#,stock# for belts. great thing napa is a gates(type of)belt. just check the back of wrapper and check that it has gates marked. just my experience.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Conti and Gates often specify belt lengths that are slightly different from the OE lengths. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes (BHW Gates belt, for example) it's not.

I wasn't kidding when I said this was on my desk. I vaguely recall ordering it for a Canadian customer who had a non-A/C MKIII, but I might be thinking of something else. This isn't a product we stock.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here's what I got from Jason, I thought I remembered that the non-AC belt was a 1045 and the AC belt was 1145.

I think the PS belt for non-AC cars is a 10x730, 028145271k

Also here's the various belt routing schemes

Upper right diagram is no AC but with PS

Center left diagram is no AC and no PS

Bottom right is with AC and PS.
Steve

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
nice info and pics, steve. a usual from you. :)
i think i can find those schematics at a VW website, forget exactly tho.
i take it what they call the v-ribbed belts are called poly-ribbed belts. i dont think they have a v, not the ones i know. if any.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
nice info and pics, steve. a usual from you. :)
i think i can find those schematics at a VW website, forget exactly tho.
i take it what they call the v-ribbed belts are called poly-ribbed belts. i dont think they have a v, not the ones i know. if any.
Yes, the v-ribbed belts are what we would normally call a serpentine belt, multi-V ribbed pattern in this case I think it's a six rib belt.

The vw parts website I typically use apparently didn't have the belt routing info so I asked Jason rather than try and find it on another site.

The added benefit of this would be that this is what's currently out there if you wanted OE belts.

Steve

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea they recently changed over the VW website i usually use, for 2weeks or so i couldnt find it normally. now its just changed. havent really used it since, waiting for the first time, in the new format.