www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old December 2nd, 2019, 07:06   #1
01m_jetta_02

TDI(s): 2002
Default Want to get my gas mileage and change my 01m transmission code to Economy

I'd like to change my transmission code to Economy. Cheapest route?

I'd like to check my mpg using a utility as opposed to always doing the math at the pump.

I have an ELM327. Regular Torque works fine with it. I read some phantom posts that Torque Pro can provide pretty good accuracy as far as MPG on this vehicle but I can't find settings so far.

Scanguage II....is this my best bet maybe?

Help...thanks.

Best Tank 85% highway 15 city 47 mpg 750 miles
01m_jetta_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 08:56   #2
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I really hope your gas mileage sux? ba dum!

There have been some threads on here about doing the manual swap. I would check them out while waiting for someone to chime in.

But honestly unless you put another 100K or 200k miles on the car, this will not pay for itself. Unless the trans poops itself and you have to spend money anyway, just keep it or get a manual trans car.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 09:00   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You are better off using something like the Fuelly app on your phone. I use this and just text in mpg (miles/price/gallons). You get a return text of the economy. Nothing you use connected to the car will be as accurate as a calculated number is.

Here is mine:
http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Texting it in is easy and quick and you can go back and edit and add things online later if you like.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; December 2nd, 2019 at 09:11.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:33   #4
01m_jetta_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I really hope your gas mileage sux? ba dum!

There have been some threads on here about doing the manual swap. I would check them out while waiting for someone to chime in.

But honestly unless you put another 100K or 200k miles on the car, this will not pay for itself. Unless the trans poops itself and you have to spend money anyway, just keep it or get a manual trans car.

Jason
"I really hope your gas mileage sux? ba dum!"

Yeah, I know about the auto. Good analysis on the transition from auto to manual. I'd natively do it myself but just don't have the time to do so like I could when I am younger and had all the time on earth.

Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:34   #5
01m_jetta_02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
You are better off using something like the Fuelly app on your phone. I use this and just text in mpg (miles/price/gallons). You get a return text of the economy. Nothing you use connected to the car will be as accurate as a calculated number is.

Here is mine:
http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Texting it in is easy and quick and you can go back and edit and add things online later if you like.
Thank you for this. I will try it out.

I'd like to get the trans into economy mode as well. What do I need to do that as well?

Last edited by 01m_jetta_02; December 3rd, 2019 at 05:44.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:38   #6
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I wasn't aware that this transmission had any sort of "economy" mode, or any shift calibration other than the standard one.

What sort of driving ...

If it's mostly highway, such that the transmission is mostly in top gear with the torque converter locked ... there's nothing else that can be done.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:59   #7
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

In the 2002 you can reset the automatic to factory setting. If you bought the car used the tranny learned the former owners driving habits.

To reset, get in your car. Push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there. Then insert your key and turn it but DO NOT start the car. Hold this for 15 seconds without taking your foot off the pedal. Next turn the key off and release the pedal.
This should reset the tranny.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 13:03   #8
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01m_jetta_02 View Post
"I really hope your gas mileage sux? ba dum!"
Silver was gently letting you know that the term "gas mileage" applies to vehicles that run on gas. "Gas pedal", "gas tank", etc. become fuel pedal, fuel tank, etc.

If you have a link to a thread on different eco modes for an 01M, please post.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:42   #9
01m_jetta_02

Oh hahahahaahahah! I tried so hard to use fuel where I could but brain was asleep when I posted.

Reading through the tread and will post the eco codes in a bit!

Old December 3rd, 2019, 06:50   #10
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

The 01M can be manually coded for "economy", "sport", or have the Dynamic Shift Program where it tries to figure out what to do. You can monitor the "Sport Factor" in VCDS to get an idea of what it's up to.

Whenever I've manually coded an 01M I found it made it drive worse.... better to just leave it in DSP. If you drive with a light foot, it will be in the economy program anyway.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:04   #11
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Three modes, Economy, Sport, and DSP. I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.

But in any case, easy to change with VCDS. There are helper boxes that pop up in the TCM coding to tell you what to change. If you drive a lot of highway driving, it will not matter a whole lot, as it will be in 4th+ lockup the whole time anyway, regardless of soft coding.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:00   #12
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I prefer Sport for 01Ms bolted to the ALH, and Economy for those bolted to the gas engines. I find DSP becomes tiresome and confusing and often the TCM struggles to find out when it needs to change between the two.
^this.

I recoded my 01M to "sport" and turned off DSP years ago. IMHO, this is what you want.

Being used to a "dumber" TCU in my Jeep meant I was used to modulating my foot, and that caused a never-ending cycle of me and the TCU trying to out-think each other in the VW. I also found the lower shift points tended to induce lugging on hills.

And no, I don't think "sport" mode hurts MPG - I averaged 43-45mpg with mine after doing the recoding, and the two best tanks I ever got (47.xxx mpg) were also post-recode.

Edit: Ross-Tech page on 01M coding: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...nsmission_(01M)
Old December 3rd, 2019, 19:54   #13
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Fuelly CAN be done texting in, but it is so much easier using the browser on your smartphone ( http://m.fuelly.com )( or your computer). You can even text in for different vehicles using a code letter, but as I stated - it's easier using the mobile web page.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 19:57   #14
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

And on the replacing the O1M automatic with a 5 speed manual - I paid $3000 to have mine done. I've put 120K + miles since doing it, and my MPG jumped up quite a bit . I'd say it's been worth it for me, but YMMV.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 01:14   #15
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
Fuelly CAN be done texting in, but it is so much easier using the browser on your smartphone ( http://m.fuelly.com )( or your computer). You can even text in for different vehicles using a code letter, but as I stated - it's easier using the mobile web page.
I beg to differ. What can be easier than entering in 3 sets of numbers in a text.