www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 1st, 2019, 21:09   #1
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Default ///// Aero hubcaps /////

Hi

Looking to get some extra fuel economy from my Jetta by improving aerodynamics.

When I was running steel wheels I simply drilled and bolted aerodynamic covers to the factory hubcaps and it worked fine. However, i switched my wheels to Avis aluminum rims to save weight and now I can no longer run hubcaps.

My dilemma is how to attach the aerodynamic covers to my wheels ( the aerodynamic covers I was referring to are the pizza pans available from Walmart .... ).

I've been a little reluctant to drill into the spokes to mount them so I've been leaning towards trying to utilize magnets to glue to the rim ( high-strength rare earth magnets)

It would be neat if I could do it using magnets because then there would be absolutely no indication of How It's mounted when viewed from the outside.... but the difficulty doing that is to precisely place and glue the magnets...

What are your thoughts on mounting this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:55   #2
Pharcyde145

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Man, I like this idea. It almost reminds of of the old "turbo-fan" wheels for the 80's. I think some wheel manufacturers like Rotiform offer an attachment, they call it an Aerodisc. (here's an example for a 19" wheel https://www.urotuning.com/products/r...yABEgIqcfD_BwE

At $125/ea I'd just buy a true set of turbo fan wheels, but to answer your question more precisely, it looks like they are attach via the cap for the wheel bolt. That's ideally where I'd look to attach also since it offers the most opportunity to "bolt on" and prevent detachment. Rare earth magnets are powerful, but so is the kinetic energy at work on the moving wheel.

Good luck!
Pharcyde145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:03   #3
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Get in touch with Aaron (Growler on the Forums) He had aero hubcaps on Schnurren a while back. Picture is HERE.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:34   #4
thundershorts
Veteran Member

remember moon hubcaps? mabe still available
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:47   #5
scrambld
Veteran Member

Run a bead of construction adhesive (adhesives are available to bond to metals) around the outer portion of the rim and affix the aero disk. It'll have a clean look.....and make breakdown a bit more work

Not so clean would be self tapping screws into the outer rim.....much the same using screws to prevent tire slippage (on wheel) on cars set-up for drag racing....you could even go into the tires bead a bit to prevent tire/wheel slip.....oh wait, you don't drag start as you're doing the hypermile thing...LOL
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 06:29   #6
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
Get in touch with Aaron (Growler on the Forums) He had aero hubcaps on Schnurren a while back. Picture is HERE.
I still have 3 of those, sized for stock 15" alloys. somehow my son lost one on the road.. he probably didn't get it fully seated after having to put air in a tire.

they were purchased on Amazon for about $75 and are stainless steel.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote