www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old November 29th, 2019, 19:41   #1
icrashcars

TDI(s): B5 A4
Default MK6 TDI Sportwagen 6MT, On/ Off Throttle Thump

2011 TDI Sportwagen, 6MT, 115K miles

Hoping someone can shed some light on this issues. Ive searched, but haven't found any solid leads.

When going on/ off the throttle a thump can be felt. Equivalent to a small pothole. No sounds accompany the thump feeling. It feel like a front/ back movement, felt in the seat.

The thump is more pronounced in 4,5,6 gears around 2k RPMS.

I replaced the 3 main mounts with OEM parts (motor, trans, dogbone).

The car has a Valeo single mass flywheel conversion.

I removed the subframe brace and inspected the mounts they both seem solid, but I have replacements on hand.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by icrashcars; December 2nd, 2019 at 14:32.
icrashcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 19:45   #2
calimustang
Veteran Member

Possibly exhaust system is loose from the clutch installation? I had that happen on my old JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Mustang GT and 89 Ocala FL SSP coupe 5.0 5MT
calimustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 19:48   #3
icrashcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimustang View Post
Possibly exhaust system is loose from the clutch installation? I had that happen on my old JSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Possible, but I would think that would make a noise.

Also to add, in a higher gear at a low RPM, when the throttle is barely engaged, the car bucks lightly.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 13:27   #4
icrashcars

I just had the P2015 code come up. Ive read about this and know about the dieselgeek part to fix it. I am also waiting on a call back from the dealer to see if I am eligible for the extended warranty that covers this.

Could the thumping be related to this?

From reading online, it seems like the only real symptom of the intake runner flap issue are hard starts and misfires.

Last edited by icrashcars; December 2nd, 2019 at 13:36.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 15:54   #5
afeinstein

I also have a "thump." My car is also a '11 JSW 6MT with 77k. Same- also checked dogbone and mounts and suspension is tight.

When I am cruising down the road in 3rd or 4th and then let off the pedal, the car lets off with a thud just like the driveline was loose or something. If I drop the accelerator it does it. I can soften it by just remembering to let off slow on the pedal. If I keep the rpm's the same and push the clutch down there is no thump. It is worse when the car is warm.

While it seemed to be felt in the driveline/ suspension, I always felt it was related to boost or some sort of engine management thing. My car was in an accident and there was a crack in the intercooler, and as a result I would get this pulsing in torque on the driveline - this feels kinda like that but more oomph.

I also have a Valeo SMF clutch in my car. How long has it lasted for you? The clutch engagement is pretty good but the car is not as smooth and quiet and certainly on the highway. Lots of people are telling me that my synchros are going to go and after 1000k miles so far nothing.
afeinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 19:39   #6
icrashcars

That sounds exactly like my issue. I put about 1k miles on the SMF kit without an issue and it getting progressively worse.

I’m going to check all the mounts and re-tourqe everything. It definitely feels like something large is moving (engine).
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:39   #7
icrashcars

I put the car on ramps to check the torque on the subframe bolts. Ive read about the subframe clunk and movement, so I checked and noticed that I can see "scoring" around the bolts - indicating there is movement.

I just ordered the ECS subframe locking collar kit.

It should be here in the next couple days. Ill report back after install and some driving.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:11   #8
alext91
Veteran Member

I think this is just a feature of these cars... Mine does the clunk on/off throttle under 2k rpms. I have to be very careful about the way I apply throttle to reduce it. I'll be curious to see if you have any luck with the subframe locking kit. I installed the 034 dogbone insert to try to reduce engine movement with some luck, and my car definitely needs the subframe locking kit at some point as I do get the clunk on turn-in during aggressive driving and track days. These cars just have a lot of engine movement from the factory, I'm also guessing the SMF just exacerbated this symptom.
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:45   #9
afeinstein

Look forward to your research. Thank you! The ECS instructions are so well written - gives you much confidence and gave me an education about bolts, torque, etc.

Last edited by afeinstein; December 3rd, 2019 at 09:47.
afeinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:55   #10
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

My guess is that the smf has beat up the gearbox and it's about to go south. When it does, go back to a dmf arrangement. The dampeners and fluid cocktails will only buy a minimal amount of time.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:49   #11
icrashcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
My guess is that the smf has beat up the gearbox and it's about to go south. When it does, go back to a dmf arrangement. The dampeners and fluid cocktails will only buy a minimal amount of time.
I hope not, but on a side notes...I'm also a volvo guy. Here's my 98 v70r..
Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr
Old December 3rd, 2019, 15:28   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashcars View Post
I hope not, but on a side notes...I'm also a volvo guy. Here's my 98 v70r..
Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr

That's a bad looking brick- in a good way!
Old December 7th, 2019, 17:06   #13
icrashcars

Update

I installed the ECS locking collar kit and replaced the upper and lower dogbone bushings.

There is a noticeable improvement. There is still some movement/ thump, but it is minor compared to before.
Old December 7th, 2019, 17:21   #14
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Nice. Best of luck with the smf. Keep us updated every 10k or so on how the gearbox holds up.
Old Yesterday, 14:31   #15
GSRswapandslow

my 2014 manual does this..............stock DMF...

i ASSUMED it was due to mounts, but my car just broke 60k and shouldn't have any mount issues yet....but, there have been some bad wheel hop episodes with my car, so there might be
GSRswapandslow is offline   Reply With Quote