www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:48   #1
pdtdiarl

TDI(s): golf4
Default Low oil pressure, ok after restart.

So I'm dealing with a low oil pressure symptom.

And I'm posting here to get some tips and maybe help others.

It's an Audi A4.

Start the engine, drive it maybe 10 mins after its gets to service temperature, low oil pressure light comes on.

I know that VWs dash only warns you about low oil pressure after 60C I think so I plugged a gauge, and pressure is 4/3 bars, 2 bars at 90C.

Changed Oil pressure Sender, still the same.

I plugged a oil pressure gauge inside the car to drive it and check the oil pressure. And after some drive, some minutes at service temperature, it begins to drop pressure.

The strange thing is, if I restart the engine, right after I turn it off, oil pressure comes back at 2/3 bars, and starts to drop slowly.

Pulled the sump, and some here will know how hard is to pull the sump on a B5. And pickup line had a lot of dirt. When hitting the pickup against the bench, lots of small particles dropping of the pickup screen.

Oil dipstick was broken, and PO used a lot of rtv on the sump seal. didn't find metal there, just dirt. So maybe the problem is solved, but ...

2 questions:

Could this be the cause?

I'm changing also the o-ring between the oil pump and pickup, because PO used RTV . Should I check anything else before I install everything?
pdtdiarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:40   #2
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

Does it have a balance shaft? Any chance of the hex key slipping?
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:48   #3
pdtdiarl

Nop, just a chain from pump to crank.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:23   #4
PickleRick
Veteran Member

If im in that far im putting in a new oil pump before reassembly.
Old December 4th, 2019, 02:01   #5
pdtdiarl

Don't wanna throw parts at it, installed everything last night, reached 90C, service temperature, with 3.2/3.0 bar at idle, i think it's not that bad, didn't have the time to run it because the front bumper was off, maybe friday I'll give it some WOT.
Old December 7th, 2019, 10:09   #6
pdtdiarl

Just to close the chapter, it ended up being the clogged pick up, all ok at the moment, getting 18-23psi at idle, completely warm.