www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 2nd, 2019, 14:56   #1
Westwindmk3

Default Glow plugs issue

Hello everybody,
My car is golf 3 1996 TDI.
The problem is that the glow plugs indicator isn't showing on the cluster, no voltage on the wires to the plugs either. I measured current between 87 and 30, it's ok 12.5v. I measured 86 power from ignition is also present, 85 is about 6volts coming from the ECU. Fuse is also OK.
I'm really confused at this point. Are there any other components that interfere in the preheating system apart from the coolant sensor? I haven't measured continuity of wires from the relay to the plugs. that's the last thing I could go further with my knowledge.
Any other suggestions will be really appreciated.
Thanks.
Westwindmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 18:35   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

i just saw a thread recently where its just a matter of getting the multimeter on really fast, something about voltage dropping really quickly.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 18:41   #3
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Find the fantastic multi-page "Glow Plugs 101 V2" thread and read read read..... lots of great info, pictures, etc.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 00:30   #4
Westwindmk3

I tested all again, this time everything works as it is supposed to apart from the indicator light in the cluster. I'm sure that there is no problem in the cluster or the glow plugs bulb. Is the waiting period plug light controlled by the ecu or the relay?
Westwindmk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 20:04   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwindmk3 View Post
I tested all again, this time everything works as it is supposed to apart from the indicator light in the cluster. I'm sure that there is no problem in the cluster or the glow plugs bulb. Is the waiting period plug light controlled by the ecu or the relay?
it is, via the MAP program in the ECU, it can be set with VCDS to longer or shorter. (i think) or it has to be done with a tune, If i remember correctly, its done with VCDS.
you sure the bulb is still good???? its nearly a 30 year old car!!!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:29   #6
garciapiano
Veteran Member

if the glow plug lamp doesn't come on briefly in the dash upon first key-on, your bulb is out. If the bulb is out you will also get a code stored for glow plug indicator lamp open circuit.

One way to test if the glow plugs are actually cycling is to disconnect the coolant temp sensor harness plug from the sensor located on the outlet flange (NOT the A/C temp switch on the upper radiator hose). If the coolant sensor is not detected by the ECU it will cycle the glow plugs for the maximum duration, with the corresponding light on in the dash.

Last edited by garciapiano; Yesterday at 00:34.
garciapiano is offline   Reply With Quote