www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:42   #1
Demo3
Veteran Member

Default How many VW techs does it take.

I took my 2015 GSW in to have this fixed http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...ystals&cat=all, two weeks later the same thing.
Old October 9th, 2018, 08:51   #2
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

This is the sort of thing I think about when everyone touts the long warranties. Yeah, warranties are good, but it still means having to go to dealerships to get things fixed. Having to deal with getting repairs made is such a hassle. At least that looks straight foward so you hopefully don't have to deal with the dealer or VW trying to shirk their responsibility which is all too common.

I appreciate the piece of mind for more expensive repairs like the HPFP and the DPF. But if I end up with a bunch of emissions related issues on my car, I'll just delete it and forgo the long warranty.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 19:13   #3
gwc

Fuel Economy: 48-50 mpg

I just had this issue fixed by my local dealer. 1+ month later and no leaks. Do you have the work order handy? Wondering what they replced? On mine they replaced the line and the dosing valve. The TSB says to replace the line only, but everything Iíve read said that the valve has to be replaced too or the issue will return.

Parts list from my job is attached. I was only expecting the line to be replaced and was expecting to have to go back and argue for the valve too...but they did both no questions asked.

Hope this helps.

gwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 22:57   #4
dasjefe

Same issue. Had to take it in twice. First time they just replaced the line and it did not fix the issue. Second time they replaced the valve and no problems since.
dasjefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:37   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not everyone's dealer sucks.
Old October 10th, 2018, 10:45   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

but most do
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 12:36   #7
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
but most do
How do you qualify that answer? I have used many different dealers over the last 15 years with little to no issues. I have also used independent mechanics as well. I have had more issues with non dealer mechanics than the dealer. For many years I had Robby from Meyerhoff (http://www.runonbeer.com/) and was very lucky for having him around for my service needs. Now he has moved and dealer is the best choice now. Too many independents say they know what they are doing and don't and can't back up or guarantee their work either. You just end up completely shafted. I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand. Some of those owners seem to cause their own issues as well.
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:36   #8
CrazyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
... I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand...
Yep. I've had good and bad experiences at Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet dealers. People talk as if this is a situation unique to VW. One example: our 2000 Suburban is a base model, crank windows and everything. So it didn't come with the third bench seat in the back. I got a bench from a wrecking yard and needed to get the rear hooks that the latches clip into when the seat is in use (i.e. not folded forward and out of the cargo area). I went to my local dealer and the guy said he couldn't sell me just the hooks, I had to order a whole new rear floor section with the hooks in it. I showed him the plastic plugs in the floor where the hooks are supposed to bolt in, but he didn't budge. I told him thanks but no thanks and that I would just have to find those at a wrecking yard. I went do a dealership near Portland and told the parts person what I was looking for and he turned the monitor toward me and said "these, right?" They were something like $5 each.
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:03   #9
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

You should take them to the first dealer and show them to the parts guy, with the receipt from the other dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
Yep. I've had good and bad experiences at Nissan, Ford, and Chevrolet dealers. People talk as if this is a situation unique to VW. One example: our 2000 Suburban is a base model, crank windows and everything. So it didn't come with the third bench seat in the back. I got a bench from a wrecking yard and needed to get the rear hooks that the latches clip into when the seat is in use (i.e. not folded forward and out of the cargo area). I went to my local dealer and the guy said he couldn't sell me just the hooks, I had to order a whole new rear floor section with the hooks in it. I showed him the plastic plugs in the floor where the hooks are supposed to bolt in, but he didn't budge. I told him thanks but no thanks and that I would just have to find those at a wrecking yard. I went do a dealership near Portland and told the parts person what I was looking for and he turned the monitor toward me and said "these, right?" They were something like $5 each.
Old October 11th, 2018, 08:41   #10
mopower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 15 GSW

Quote:
How do you qualify that answer? I have used many different dealers over the last 15 years with little to no issues. I have also used independent mechanics as well. I have had more issues with non dealer mechanics than the dealer. For many years I had Robby from Meyerhoff (http://www.runonbeer.com/) and was very lucky for having him around for my service needs. Now he has moved and dealer is the best choice now. Too many independents say they know what they are doing and don't and can't back up or guarantee their work either. You just end up completely shafted. I have read the stories here and they aren't any worse than I have heard about most other shops dealer or independent, VW or any other brand. Some of those owners seem to cause their own issues as well.
I used to work in a city where advice was shared to buy a brand of vehicle only because there was a person that could service them in the area. It was good advice.
Old October 11th, 2018, 09:20   #11
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopower View Post
I used to work in a city where advice was shared to buy a brand of vehicle only because there was a person that could service them in the area. It was good advice.
That is good advice, if you can find that person who can service it. It could be a dealer or non dealer though. There were/are small towns with only one dealer in them. People buy from them and use them because they are the only game in town for them.
Old October 12th, 2018, 05:48   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
How do you qualify that answer?

Personal experience, just like you had personal experience with yours. For our Alltrack total of 4 trips to the dealer for two issues, passengers side occupancy detection failed and gave air bag warning light, two different appointments. 3 strut bearings have been replaced, with in 4 months of each other. first time is was the dirvers side, second time it was both sides.

Maybe its the GFF to blame which I agree isn't the dealers fault, but still. Again this is just my experience with my local dealer, I have had great success with other dealers, sadly they are 50-60 miles away.

Ohh and when the salesman bold faced lied to us about the service work on our '15 Passat to make a quick sale the last day of the month. When brought to managements attention they said tough luck it was a "miscommunication" nothing they could do. Sure the sales department is a separate entity than the service department, but they still roll up to the same management.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2018, 07:14   #13
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

So your dealing with one local dealer and having to return twice, you determine from your one dealer experience with them, most are bad? That is a pretty broad brush you are painting with there. You even admit that there are dealers 50-60 miles away that you have had "great success" with, yet most are bad. From your example at least 2 are good and one local is bad. That is 2/3 good or mostly good.
Old October 12th, 2018, 22:47   #14
CrazyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
You should take them to the first dealer and show them to the parts guy, with the receipt from the other dealer...
Ha! I should have, but at the time I was just happy to get my parts (this was around 6 years ago).
Old October 14th, 2018, 18:40   #15
kyle_h
Veteran Member

Iíd like to chime in as a former vw dealer technician. When it comes to warranty, techs and dealers are often limited by vw policies and procedures. Sometimes we canít do what we think we need to, because if we do, warranty will decline payment of the claim and then the dealers and techs would be screwed out of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk