www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 9th, 2009, 20:21   #16
roadhard1960
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

My Craftsman jack is probably 25 years old. My Dad has a Craftsman that is probably 35 years and has lifted plenty of full size Mopars and Chevys over its life. They do get dropped to fully collapsed when done. They are always stored in garages subject to condensation with no issues. There really is not a lot in a jack to fail if the cylinder does not suffer excessive pitting.
2003 Jetta wagon GLS, 5 Speed, Alligator tune, 34 psi tire pressure, 49.1 US mpg first 35k, 50 next 31.5k, 50.4 next 36k miles, cleaned intake twice and polished end runners last time, Mobil Truck & SUV or Delvac. Koni FSDs, VWs since 1977. Sprint 520 Nozzles for Christmas 2007. Ecodes with fogs and Eswitch. 525,000 miles and counting, original turbo. 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO.
roadhard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:18   #17
J double R
Fail Train Conductor

Fuel Economy: 45-50 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhard1960
My Craftsman jack is probably 25 years old. My Dad has a Craftsman that is probably 35 years and has lifted plenty of full size Mopars and Chevys over its life. They do get dropped to fully collapsed when done. They are always stored in garages subject to condensation with no issues. There really is not a lot in a jack to fail if the cylinder does not suffer excessive pitting.
yeah... my dad has had the same craftsman jack for as long as i can remember (around 20 years or so back)

J double R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 00:25   #18
CRTDI
Veteran Member

What I ended up with here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=266788
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:54   #19
Gearhead51
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

I have this one: http://www.norcoindustries.com/products_71202A.shtml So far it's great. Everything I've ever seen Norco put out is overbuilt and heavy duty.
'00 Silver Jetta TDI on Ground Control coilovers, Koni Yellows, B&M shifter, Audi R8 reps, and VNT20 ST2b. R520. '99.5 F350 with injectors, 4page chip, intake, and exhaust, '00 Honda RC51 in race plastics, Ducati 1098S, '94 RX7 436RWHP Rotary 4 life!
Gearhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 22:22   #20
TDI_Convert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg average

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Vet
I bought a Sears 2 ton floor jack in 1978. Have used it frequently over the years (as recently as last week) with zero problems. As mentioned above, I store it completely retracted with the valve closed. Perhaps that is the secret.
It must have been a good year, I have one from the same year as well and it's still working fine. Maybe because we store it the same way?
Old January 17th, 2010, 18:28   #21
BolaB4V
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's to over 50 hwy..

I got this baby at Advanced Auto.
2.5 ton, 5 1/2" to 19 1/2" lift range. Twist lock handle.
The plate is beefy and is 5 1/2" in diameter.
Its hard to believe its only rated for 5000lbs as there is a lot of mass
to this one. It is heavy!
#G-2489
Around 95.00 w/tax
Had it for a few months and if stored properly it should last.
BolaB4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 19:20   #22
WVU TDI
Veteran Member

My dad's craftsman jack had been around longer than I have (23 years). He has to add fluid to it now and again, and sometimes you have to fully collapse it an extra time to get it to jack up but hey, it works
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6M -- turbo failed at 9500 miles.
WVU TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 19:33   #23
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

I've been making by with my cheapo Harbor Freight one, the one that comes with jack stands. Nothing fancy, should have gotten two to make tire rotation easier. Friend of mine has an old something-or-another, rated for 1.5 tons, which must weigh 'bout that much. That works too. The point being, if it's something only used every couple months, it'll probably last a couple of decades. Or long enough that one doesn't worry about replacing it every 5-10 years.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:17   #24
CRTDI
Veteran Member

If you're getting tired of your leaking Chinese floor jack and looking for a quality low profile floor jack, the AC Hydraulic units appear to be available again.

http://www.ac-hydraulics.com/

Last edited by CRTDI; February 5th, 2010 at 05:22.
CRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 14:53   #25
myvwkg

I agree with Hevster. The Hein Werner is a great jack. No point going cheap on jacks. Had this jack almost 5 years. It was my wedding present from my wife
1999 Chevy S-10
2010 Passat Wagon- Latest addition to the Fleet
myvwkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:01   #26
Ryan Rogen

TDI(s): GOLF

I have OTC Aluminum Racing Jack Kit . This is a really nice high end all aluminum floor jack. You tend to get what you pay for here. It is very easy to move around and you can get it up to full height in just 5 or 6 quick pumps. What a really nice design here by OTC products on this two-ton floor jack.The best thing about this jack was how incredibly lightweight it is. It is made of mostly heavy duty aluminum construction
Ryan Rogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:36   #27
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Have had a big, heavy Craftsman for decades. Works fine. Also have a couple aluminum Harbor Freight racing jacks from China. I don't use the Craftsman (AKA Big *****) that much because the lightweight jacks (AKA Little Guys) are just so nice to sling around.
Old May 25th, 2017, 21:01   #28
liahriz

TDI(s): 2001 NB

Quote:
I'm on what has to be my 9th or 10th floor jack, and am about ready to pull out my hair. They all seem to fail (won't lift) after about 2 years of light-duty use.

I've bought floor jacks from:

- Snap-On (had it when I was a full-time tech)
- Crafstman (had 2 of them)
- Nordic (had 2)
- AC Delco (had at least 2)
- Harbor Freight

My current floor jack, a 4-ton "heavy duty" Craftsman just died on me, and I'm so sick of buying new floor jacks. It's absolutely maddening. Anyone know of a good floor jack that'll last for more than a year or 2?

I'm only lifting small cars (Jetta, Cooper, BMW 3 series), and I only use the floor jacks maybe 4-5 times per year. They don't run low on hydraulic oil - they just quit working... ugh!
I am willing to buy Craftsman 3 Ton Floor Jack. What do you think about this floor jack? Although I have found a few other best floor jack lists here. But don't understanding which one should buy. I am seeing this thread lots of people are happy with their Craftsman.
So, should I go with that model or Any other opinion?

Last edited by liahriz; May 27th, 2017 at 21:00.
liahriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 12:24   #29
tadawson
Veteran Member

I've had a 3 ton Craftsman for 20+ years. Other than blowing a main seal (under $5 to replace from a local hydraulic shop - standard size) it's been great. I was China build, which likely explains all the machining swarf I flushed out when the seal was changed (and which likely caused the failure) but all in all, the machine work was fine, if not the cleanup.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:05   #30
Xuelis

TDI(s): haven;t yet

When I bought our S4, I decided to upgrade my floor jack from an aluminum "racing" racing jack I had used on my VWs. It was pretty lightweight, but didn't seem very rugged. I don't recall it's lifting capacity, but I didn't want to chance using it for lifting the S4's weight without using jack stands, even to just change wheel/tires. I ended up buying a DK20Q AC hydraulic floor jack https://wheelstips.com/best-floor-jacks from Pelican Parts. It's well-made, made in Denmark, and has a 4400lb capacity. The wheels have polyurethane O-rings that make it smooth and quiet to roll around. It's got a low profile minimum height of 3.15" and a lift height of 19.7". AC also has a high lift model with a 29" lift. The only regret I have about this jack is that I store it in my basement and when I need to use it, I have to enlist my wife's help to carry it up the stairs (it's 68lbs of frikken heavy!).

Last edited by Xuelis; October 15th, 2018 at 03:53.
Xuelis is offline   Reply With Quote