www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old October 6th, 2018, 19:49   #1
TheBigE

Default Good front end alignment shop needed in London

Hello folks. I am in the process of replacing both my front wheel bearings on my 2006 jetta wagon. The steering knuckles are out and at carquest to have the bearings replaced after 260k Kms.

What's the best london area alignment place for after I get the knuckles back on? I would just put the knuckles back in the same spot but I was pulling to the right and now is a good alignment time. I also found a bad left lower ball joint so I am replacing both.

It's amazing how all the parts places have the 2006 jetta sedans and wagons as having the same lower end parts and oil filter for a tdi. I have to always ask,for parts for my old 2002 sedan. Then I get the right brake pads, bearings, oil filter and ball joints.

Thanks for any help.
TheBigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 14:32   #2
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

I never pull the knuckles for bearings. Just do them on the car!
Old October 7th, 2018, 18:35   #3
TheBigE

I decided to pull them when I couldn't get a bearing puller tool on loan. And the videos I saw showed a lot of effort required to pull off the hub. I have never done one and haven't needed to until now.
Old October 8th, 2018, 08:12   #4
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

There's a shop in Kitchener I could recommend. They come highly recommended by the mechanic I go to for safeties and the one car they did for me drove right after they were done.
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:10   #5
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

There is nothing special about aligning your car. Just go to the nearest one that can get you in.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:22   #6
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

Not necessarily. There are certain specifications the steering geometry have to be in. There are allowable specs, and optimum specs. Most places will throw the vehicle on the machine and if everything is within spec, just leave it, or make a minor adjustment it till it is just within spec. Then out the door for the next one.

Better places take the time to make multiple adjustments until it is not just within spec, but at the best possible setting for good handling. Multiple adjustments are often required because as you adjust camber, for example, it alters the toe. If you have ever gotten a printout of your car after an alignment, you will see that the camber, caster and toe can be off from one wheel to another, but as long as it shows green on the screen, its within spec and for some places, its good enough and won't fine tune it.

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'

Last edited by Wingnut; October 9th, 2018 at 10:32.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 15:10   #7
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

This is so true. I used to loosen the subframe to center camber and caster too back when I did them!
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:06   #8
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Not necessarily. There are certain specifications the steering geometry have to be in. There are allowable specs, and optimum specs. Most places will throw the vehicle on the machine and if everything is within spec, just leave it, or make a minor adjustment it till it is just within spec. Then out the door for the next one.

Better places take the time to make multiple adjustments until it is not just within spec, but at the best possible setting for good handling. Multiple adjustments are often required because as you adjust camber, for example, it alters the toe. If you have ever gotten a printout of your car after an alignment, you will see that the camber, caster and toe can be off from one wheel to another, but as long as it shows green on the screen, its within spec and for some places, its good enough and won't fine tune it.
Then just request them to put the alignment to the optimal specs. Alignment shops will do this if you pay for the extra time.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2018, 18:16   #9
TheBigE

Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize how alignments could be done differently and still be in spec technically