CA Smog FAIL after 5spd swap/tune

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Hey all,
A brief history:
After purchasing 2004 Passat, and auto tranny going out on me, I decided to do a 5 speed swap. I got the kit from Franz, and had a local 'guru' do the install. However, he said he wouldn't do anything with the computers. Took my car to Jeff at Rocketchip to do reflash, and a tune. I ended up with a 1.5 or 2 tune. Everything worked great except I still have the ASR light on on my dash.

Fast forward to moving to northern California from the east coast. I take my car to get it smogged, and was told it would not pass....

Could this be due to the tune? or (hopefully) just the lit up dash? I figured my first step would be to get the ASR light off, but was wondering if any of you fine folks had some experience with the California Smog standards?

Any reccomendations on getting my ASR light off? I did find this thread which deals with the issue, but don't have access to vagcomm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340285&highlight=swap+abs

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
IF the ASR light is on, I think a code also sets in the ECU - no? It might have failed for that.

If you are tuned, you need to recalibrate the steering wheel sensor for the ASR light to get turned off.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
LOL that link was my first conversion 4.5 years ago. I have done a "few" more since then.

I have not had to recalibrate the steering wheel sensor on any of my conversions.

However there are 2 different ABS units supplied and you have to recode them differently.

If you have the Bosch 5.3 it is a simple soft coding change.
If you have the Bosch 5.7 you have to log in, change the soft coding and reset the CanBus (don't forget to unplug the TCU!)

I suspect you have some more coding to do.

FYI, I also went with Mike at TDTuning for all my subsequent conversions and tunes

Last edited:

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Thanks for the help! I apologize, but I live in the sticks and am forced to be on mobile, and am having a heck if a time searching....
Is there an easy way to find out which abs module I have?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Usually you can look at it and tell, but best to scan it with Vag-Com. You said you don't have access to Vag-com, so it really doesn't matter as you will need that to change your coding or calibrate you steering wheel sensor.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
you are going to need a reflash with a file that doesn't have that problem.

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Ok, thanks. I was planning to get all the steps together so that if/when I find someone local with VCDS, I will be able to fix it efficiently, and am prepared for whatever comes up.
Is it foolish to think that I could do it myself without experience with VCDS? Would it be too much to ask if the average user/owner VCDS to do(I would pay of course)? Do I just have to remove and ship out my ecu(TCU?) to Rocketchip or equivalent?

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Ok, thanks. I was planning to get all the steps together so that if/when I find someone local with VCDS, I will be able to fix it efficiently, and am prepared for whatever comes up.
Is it foolish to think that I could do it myself without experience with VCDS? Would it be too much to ask if the average user/owner VCDS to do(I would pay of course)? Do I just have to remove and ship out my ecu(TCU?) to Rocketchip or equivalent?

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
You need VCDS to solve this problem. If you have access to a simple OBD II scanner you may be able to check your readiness and a few generic p codes. VCDS offers scripts for setting readiness that I find useful along with proprietary codes etc..
I have VCDS but am at least 400 miles from you. One question I have if you had to swap out the EPROM chip do you still have the old chip? If so going back to the old tune may be worth while. Also is your emission equipment intact and operative? make sure it is before trying to set readiness.
If you do not have access to the stock tune then you may have to go back to a stage that supports EGR etc. to get it to pass.
If you have multiple problems endorse gong to Matt as sorting out issue on conversions can be less than straight forward given that your "guru" was scared of dealing with electronics.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
ASR is not related to emissions.

Yes as long as your tune was set up properly and you have the VCDS cable and software you can do it yourself.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I was told that any lit up check indicator in the dash would cause a no pass. Also if they can not pick up certain info from the ECM overwritten by a tune, it will fail. Not sure what that info is.

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Yes I know it's not a part of emissions, but my fingers are still crossed that the lit dash is the problem

Vwzips, do you have a link to the two possible solutions depending on which abs module I have?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
No but if you take a picture of the top of the pump I could probably tell you. Again without Vag-Com cable you can't do anything.

wulferus

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon
Ok, thanks. I can try and get a picture. I was hoping to get my ducks in a row so to speak before I went looking for a local vagcom

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Ok, thanks. I can try and get a picture. I was hoping to get my ducks in a row so to speak before I went looking for a local vagcom
I know it’s been a few years but did you ever get it smogged? I’m looking into doing a manual swap and I’m in California also.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I know it’s been a few years but did you ever get it smogged? I’m looking into doing a manual swap and I’m in California also.
It shouldn't be a problem so long as you're also not requesting something like an EGR delete in the tune. Seems most tuners have a hard time getting the EGR readiness monitor to set with PDs when programming the EGR delete. So, when you get it coded and tuned to make everything work correctly, you'll just want to make sure you tell the tuner to leave the EGR enabled so the readiness monitor will set without a battle.

If you can get it with no codes stored and all readiness monitors set to 'ready,' you're good to go.