Replacing the RNS-510 with an aftermarket head-unit

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
i want to thank everyone for the work they have done on this that make it easier for the rest of us trying to decide to replace their head units. Great work!!

I took have been battling upgrading my Passat's head unit to a more modern setup. I have a RNS315 in mine and paid the $100 for the latest map upgrades on it but it still leaves me wanting.

The question that is still bothering me is, on the RNS315, the bluetooth is built it the head unit, there is no 9W7 under the passenger seat. Does this have any affect to the installation?
For a short answer, no it doesn't affect the installation any.

You having bluetooth built in to your stereo means that your microphone leads should be going straight to the back of the head unit, which will work in your favor if you want to keep the look factory by reusing the stock microphone on an aftermarket radio.

The only reason I kept the factory 9W7 with my install was because I didn't have the microphone leads going to my head unit. With the 9W7 module cars, the mic wires go to the bluetooth module. Being able to keep voice dialing and MFD functionality didn't hurt my feelings though (and the only reason I was able to do that is because I used the idatalink Maestro RR with a compatible head unit).

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Cool setup. All of us RNS510 folks are envious.
Thinking about a Kenwood DNN991HD myself.
No, not "-all of us-". We have the RNS-510, and while it's certainly not ideal in some respects, pigs would fly before I'd spend >$1600 to replace it, as long as it's working.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
No, not "-all of us-". We have the RNS-510, and while it's certainly not ideal in some respects, pigs would fly before I'd spend >$1600 to replace it, as long as it's working.
Except when you realize that you can turn around and sell your RNS for a considerable amount of money as well to offset the costs.

You also don't have to go for the 8000NEX to do it (or Kenwood or Alpine top end nav). From the NEX line, the 5000NEX also has nav and is considerably cheaper.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You also don't have to go for the 8000NEX to do it (or Kenwood or Alpine top end nav). From the NEX line, the 5000NEX also has nav and is considerably cheaper.
You could probably replace it with something out of an '83 Volga and get snappier performance. :D

And yeah, even though I went with one of the more expensive setups, I could have paid for most if not all of it if I'd opted to sell my RNS-510, even based purely on the unsolicited (though certainly appreciated) offers I received after posting this thread.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Mr F:

If I wanted to take my RNS-510 and put it in my son-in-law's 09 Jetta, I assume I'd have to move the Bluetooth module along with it. Since the new radio would have its own Bluetooth built in, would that have any impact on what I have available now on the MFD? The Jetta now has the base radio, so I have no idea what wiring might already be there, or what might need fabrication.

While the nav performance certainly isn't the best with the -510, I'm completely satisfied with the radio and audio quality. My main listening is FM HD, with sometimes connecting my phone and streaming Pandora. Don't use satellite or AM, and haven't bothered loading anything onto the hard drive. The Fender system is almost equal (if not slightly better because of having a subwoofer) to the Dynaudio that my Tiguan had.

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If I wanted to take my RNS-510 and put it in my son-in-law's 09 Jetta, I assume I'd have to move the Bluetooth module along with it. Since the new radio would have its own Bluetooth built in, would that have any impact on what I have available now on the MFD? The Jetta now has the base radio, so I have no idea what wiring might already be there, or what might need fabrication.
That's something I don't know for sure, but my guess is that you'd lose BT via the MFD, since the Maestro RR simply uses the 9W7 rather than taking information from the new HU and using it for the MFD. FWIW, I didn't miss it at all.

While the nav performance certainly isn't the best with the -510, I'm completely satisfied with the radio and audio quality. My main listening is FM HD, with sometimes connecting my phone and streaming Pandora. Don't use satellite or AM, and haven't bothered loading anything onto the hard drive. The Fender system is almost equal (if not slightly better because of having a subwoofer) to the Dynaudio that my Tiguan had.
Since the any new HU will use the Fender amp and speakers, you won't lose any audio quality. I don't know that you'll hear an improvement (nor do I know that you won't), but it isn't something that you'll lose.

While the overall performance is orders of magnitude better, sometimes it's the little things that I notice, like being able to use the RVC as soon as I start the car and put it into reverse rather than sitting there and waiting for the HU to boot up (or saying to hell with it and just doing it the old-fashioned way). And searching my iPod was so slow that it was basically useless on the RNS-510, while on the new HU it's lovely.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The main issue for me is the incoming call information on the MFD. Since it's my work phone that I have connected to the car, I need to know if I have to answer "professionally", or more casual. The -510 screen doesn't switch to phone when a call comes in.

I completely agree about how long it takes the stupid thing to show the backup camera after startup. I seldom wait for it, and just do the old head swivel. I mainly use it for backing into my garage or a parking stall at the end of the drive. Still annoying.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
The main issue for me is the incoming call information on the MFD. Since it's my work phone that I have connected to the car, I need to know if I have to answer "professionally", or more casual. The -510 screen doesn't switch to phone when a call comes in.

I completely agree about how long it takes the stupid thing to show the backup camera after startup. I seldom wait for it, and just do the old head swivel. I mainly use it for backing into my garage or a parking stall at the end of the drive. Still annoying.
The Maestro RR will keep your MFD call info, but you need a stereo that's compatible with it. All of the Pioneer NEX radios are, as well as many of the Kenwood and Alpine units.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
That's something I don't know for sure, but my guess is that you'd lose BT via the MFD, since the Maestro RR simply uses the 9W7 rather than taking information from the new HU and using it for the MFD. FWIW, I didn't miss it at all.

Since the any new HU will use the Fender amp and speakers, you won't lose any audio quality. I don't know that you'll hear an improvement (nor do I know that you won't), but it isn't something that you'll lose.

While the overall performance is orders of magnitude better, sometimes it's the little things that I notice, like being able to use the RVC as soon as I start the car and put it into reverse rather than sitting there and waiting for the HU to boot up (or saying to hell with it and just doing it the old-fashioned way). And searching my iPod was so slow that it was basically useless on the RNS-510, while on the new HU it's lovely.

Mr. Furious, do you mind elaborating on what were your issues with the RNS 510? what did (or didn't) it do to cause the change to aftermarket?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I hope the 2016+ new Generation head units are interchangeable into our current rigs

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Mr. Furious, do you mind elaborating on what were your issues with the RNS 510? what did (or didn't) it do to cause the change to aftermarket?
It had all the functions I wanted/needed. However, its performance was absolutely unacceptable for me. I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, and it was stupid for me to be so frustrated when there was a pretty simple solution available.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope the 2016+ new Generation head units are interchangeable into our current rigs
If you look at a picture of a 2015 Golf, it looks like the front panel shape would not fit our dash space. Perhaps some sort of bezel would work, but not sure.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
It had all the functions I wanted/needed. However, its performance was absolutely unacceptable for me. I got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore, and it was stupid for me to be so frustrated when there was a pretty simple solution available.

I hear ya Furious... Right now I'm furious with my system.. Called rep for the 3rd time this week and left a VM... and yet to return any of my calls..

I would do the same as you, but right now I just cannot afford it at the moment.

pedror

TDI
2014 Tiguan 4Motion Highline (SEL)
I'm feeling the pain expressed here about the RNS-510 in my Tiguan and very interested in Pioneer's new NEX units like the AVIC-7100NEX because of the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support built in. I think with the Maestro integration it would be light years ahead - a bit expensive but worth it since I plan on having this vehicle for a while.

Does anyone have experiences to share with these Pioneer units (4100/7100/8100)?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Very timely question for me too pedror. I'm sitting on the fence since a while and the 8100nex is looking better every day. :)

I did not manage to see this head unit in action in real life, only videos and reviews, and I'm hoping someone here can share some stories and pictures, please.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
There have been quite a few things posted by Mr. Furious and myself on the 8000NEX and the 4000NEX. The only real change between the 8000/4000 and the 8100/4100 is the Android Auto integration as far as I've been able to find. The Apple CarPlay support is in the 8000/4000 already with software update.

I have both the Maestro and the 4000NEX installed, here's a quick post I wrote about it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4740241&postcount=10

pedror

TDI
2014 Tiguan 4Motion Highline (SEL)
Thanks JaredC01, that unit looks really nice and I have been reading your posts. Did you end up getting an adapter for the rear view camera that worked for you?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I did, ended up costing me $35 shipped from China, connected three wires and plugged the camera into it. Works perfectly.

I also found out the camera itself has a built in guide for backing... The stereo has one that's programmable, but it's not needed with the factory camera.

I'll get the link for the adapter after work.

Edit: Found it pretty quickly...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CVBS-change-to-RGB-signal-Conterver-For-VW-Volkswagen-RNS315-RNS510-RCD510-RGB-Adaptor/32283777187.html

gjas18

TDI
2012 Golf Tech Package
I'm feeling the pain expressed here about the RNS-510 in my Tiguan and very interested in Pioneer's new NEX units like the AVIC-7100NEX because of the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support built in. I think with the Maestro integration it would be light years ahead - a bit expensive but worth it since I plan on having this vehicle for a while.

Does anyone have experiences to share with these Pioneer units (4100/7100/8100)?

I've installed an 8100 and a 4100. They are nice units but they dont support the full feature set of the maestro. Particularly the Nav MFD integration and Parking sensors which is what has kept me from replacing my 315. I have ordered a Kenwood DDX9702s which supports all that plus android auto. The only unknown is if android auto will pass nav data to the MFD. I have a thread on golfmk6.com if anyone wants to keep track. It should be here sometime this week.

Also on the Mic thing... since I have a 315 with no BT module Im getting a mic from enfig to replace my factory if everything goes well with the kenwood.

Thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93811

Mic http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_MIC_VW1.html

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I've installed an 8100 and a 4100. They are nice units but they dont support the full feature set of the maestro. Particularly the Nav MFD integration and Parking sensors which is what has kept me from replacing my 315. I have ordered a Kenwood DDX9702s which supports all that plus android auto. The only unknown is if android auto will pass nav data to the MFD. I have a thread on golfmk6.com if anyone wants to keep track. It should be here sometime this week.
Also on the Mic thing... since I have a 315 with no BT module Im getting a mic from enfig to replace my factory if everything goes well with the kenwood.
Thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93811
Mic http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_MIC_VW1.html
Let me know how it all works out. I have contemplated the Kenwood units, but I do full screen mirroring via a program that emulates Pioneer's own Applink feature... Haven't found too much info on the Android Auto side of things, but I like my full screen mirroring currently. The downside to my current setup is that it technically requires the screen to be turned "on" full time for mirroring, and even with a nifty program called Screen Off (which automatically turns the backlight to 0 when an HDMI cable is connected), my battery still drains rather quickly when streaming audio and using navigation.

eitingon

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
How did you connect the 3 wires from the Chinese backup adapter? Ground and battery +12 volts are easy. What about the third wire? Does that go to the reverse signal? Thanks!

I did, ended up costing me $35 shipped from China, connected three wires and plugged the camera into it. Works perfectly.

I also found out the camera itself has a built in guide for backing... The stereo has one that's programmable, but it's not needed with the factory camera.

I'll get the link for the adapter after work.

Edit: Found it pretty quickly...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CVBS...15-RNS510-RCD510-RGB-Adaptor/32283777187.html

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that I've looked at the details more closely, it has (for me) one fatal omission. I am completely spoiled by my HD Radio, and would have a hard time giving it up. Pandora streaming sounds OK through my Fender system, but HD is really nice.

The complete Volkswagen interface, including steering wheel controls, is a major plus for the set. Just a guess, but I'd expect the MFD to work as well, as they kind of go together. And it's certainly a brand name that makes quality equipment. :)

I did notice in the pictures that they were installing it in a US spec car, so there should be no issues with anything region related.

Last edited:

eitingon

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
Thanks to all of the great information in this thread, I was able to successfully install all of the following:
- Pioneer AVIC 8100 NEX navigation radio
- Maestro RR interface
- VW wiring harness for Maestro RR interface
- Sirius XM SXV 300 tuner
- Sirius antenna adapter (from Enfig)
- AM/FM antenna adapter (from Enfig)
- GPS antenna adapter (from Enfig)
- Replacement microphone that fits in factory mic location (from Enfig)
- Piano black dash kit (from Enfig)
- Reverse camera adapter to adapt factory RGB reverse camera to work with aftermarket radio (imported from China via aliexpress)

The installation is relatively straight-forward so I will not repeat what has been said elsewhere here. A few notes:
- If you want to use the Pioneer unit to handle bluetooth phone duties, you will need to disconnect the OEM bluetooth module - in my car it was located in the armrest (the panel with the MDI, aux in and lighter pops right out and there is a big plug underneath that gets disconnected).
- You will lose the compass on the dash
- You will lose nav arrows on the dash (you can keep these with a Kenwood head unit)
- You will lose useful phone information on the dash
- The dimmer function is a little wonky as the Maestro unit puts out a dimmer lead (variable) and the head unit wants an illumination lead (+12v whenever the lights are on). To make this work properly, you would need to track down a source of +12v whenever the lights are on.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
If you don't mind, what was the total cost that this setup ran you?
Just the radio AVIC-8100 on Crutchfield is $1300... not sure what extra
adapters and things you need. Installation if you don't DIY is going to be
more of course. The price is higher than the AVIC-8000 the OP posted in
post #1.

I am waiting for all the cheap RNS-510 units for sale as people upgrade. :D

Seriously the aftermarket is pretty good, there are others, but many don't
have Sirius XM built in. Of course if I got an aftermarket with out Sirius XM
I would be inclined to drop it. The Pioneer has an add one for Satellite.

Last edited:

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Just the radio AVIC-8100 on Crutchfield is $1300... not sure what extra
adapters and things you need. Installation if you don't DIY is going to be
more of course. The price is higher than the AVIC-8000 the OP posted in
post #1.
I am waiting for all the cheap RNS-510 units for sale as people upgrade. :D
Seriously the aftermarket is pretty good, there are others, but many don't
have Sirius XM built in. Of course if I got an aftermarket with out Sirius XM
I would be inclined to drop it. The Pioneer has an add one for Satellite.
I bought my 8100NEX in May for $820, prices rose a bit since, so check around.

Here is the list of additional items I needed for my 2013 VW Passat and iPhone integration: