To those with the bad door harness problem

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Greetings, all. I'm trying to track down a battery draw at rest problem. I've done a ton of reading and testing and have started to wonder if this is the dreaded door harness problem.

For those that have suffered though/fixed this, how were you able to tell this was your problem? I have seen a few that you could visually inspect and note the issues outside the door where it closes? From that location mine looks good. Did any of you have things look good there but have to take the door apart to find an issue? I have the inside skin off but you still can't see much there. Not sure if I want to take the next step if it's uncommon for the problem to be inside the door.

Also, it seems that those with this problem had some other signs - like vcds codes on the door, window, etc...or some electrical problems with things around the door. I have none of that as the alarm arms, doors and windows all work and such. I can trace the drain to the radio and sunroof fuses but just wanted to eliminate this door harness since reading many have had this problem and it wasn't easily tracked down.

Is my harness not likely the problem here for those that have had this problem?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Fletch, I recall you can open the door all the way and separate from the door leading edge sheet metal surface the rubber boot covering the door harness wires enough to visually inspect the individual wires for damage. That's where the issues show up. I believe the OEM harness is a tad short and the wires get stretched and then the insulation fails.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To answer this post. If all of the electrical function on the drivers door works and there are no DTC's (faults) relating to the door electronics and through visual inspection of the wires inside the doors flexible boot, Then the wiring harness can be ruled out unless the TSB test show a parasitic draw for components in the door.

There is a lever that releases the boot and electrical plug at the "A" pillar. The lever is accessible under the boot IIRC.

Bottom line:
(Ref: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483557 What (Edit: SilverGost) said is completely true. All the traditional methods for troubleshooting parasitic loss like you are trying will cause you to not have a good time. What you need to do is follow the instructions in the TSB.
Very much worth repeating. The TSB did not direct you to disconnect the battery and put the meter in series with the electrical loads. This may be causing the car to not go into sleep mode. Also, did you trip the drivers door and hood latches before you armed the alarm? Not really mentioned in the TSB, but must be done or the car will not go to sleep.

Second guessing problems is one step away from blindly throwing parts at the problem. Correctly done the TSB will direct you to the circuit(s) that have a parasitic drain issue.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Delphi radios are notorious for causing battery drains. However, at this stage of the game, if your early A5 Jetta has its original door harness, that is amazing, and you should probably consider getting and installing the updated one just because before it (like the engine harness) gets obsoleted and you are stuck trying to scrape used bits together.

You have to take the OUTER door skin off (super easy) to swap the harness. I would also (if it were my car) consider a new door latch (also very common) as it will only take you another 5 min to replaced at that point.

oilhammer

TDI
The updated harness looks very different. It has a U bend in it instead of the accordion bellows.

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
id parts the best place to get a door harness? My drivers door stopped working, and I took the door panel off, but I could not find a break in any wires. I put it together, but its a pain not having any functions.

Thanks

RollingCoal11

TDI
2006 Jetta
id parts the best place to get a door harness? My drivers door stopped working, and I took the door panel off, but I could not find a break in any wires. I put it together, but its a pain not having any functions.

Thanks

oilhammer

TDI
I get them from the dealer. I doubt there is any aftermarket source for them, so if one of the other retailers is selling them, they are likely just getting them from their local dealer anyway.