2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Just found the parts on vw online parts store. The Engine Variable Timing Oil Control Valve ( 03L906455C ) cost $134.95 and the housing (03L109096B ) cost $260... ouch!!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Very interesting video! My car has 65k miles and the old version with the bulky pressure accumulator on it. Have never had any extended starts like that though! I guess I know what to look out for in the future just in case!

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I just went to the vw parts store - put int the code for the Engine Variable Timing Oil Control Valve ( 03L906455C ) , strangely the part comes up as fitting only the Passat and jetta models!

Here

I have the older version of the housing on my golf, so it would not surprise me that valve is the older version also.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Interesting that some folks have the different housing. I would've guessed all the EA288's in the US would be the same since they weren't made very long.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
My car with the weather getting colder here in WI has actually been starting faster which was leading me to believe it was something with the glow plugs not running long enough....until today. Cranked for 3-4 seconds then the battery ran out of power. Luckily I was parked in a parking garage so I rolled it down the slope and managed to bump start it--took 3 attempts and finally started just before I ran out of slope. I'm coming up on my 10k service anyway so I think I might try and see if I can convince them to replace the oil control valve and battery at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't require too much of a conversation....and hopefully don't mess up anything with the Control Valve, I'm guessing it'll be the first one they've done.

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
I took my car to the dealership for the second time about this problem last week. The first time I took it was before I started this thread so I was thinking more along the lines of Battery HPFP, fuel filter or timing. They said everything checked out and they didn't find anything wrong with it ( Typical ).... So fast forward to last week, Now that I know exactly what the problem is I went to the dealership and explained what the video showed, gave them the part numbers, ( they confirmed that the part numbers were superseded ) So I told them that I wanted them to check the oil control valve. They said okay will keep it over night and check it out in the morning since it has to sit for a while. Well later the next day I get an email saying that there phones have been messing up all day and that VW told them to check the quality of the fuel and OF COURSE it came back BAD. So they begin to tell me how they wont check anything else out until they drain and clean the system which will cost me $500 and that wont be covered under warranty.... I told them I fill up at the same diesel pump for the past 5 years and never have had a problem with the diesel and also how would bad diesel give me an intermittent long crank, wouldn't the bad diesel give me less power or rough idle or some other hint that the diesel was actually bad???? To that they said VW wont let them run anymore tests until they clean and drain the fuel system. So to that I said screw you Ill pay for the part and do it myself since you guys are so incompetent. Not only do I have to do your job and figure out exactly is wrong with the car I have to do the work myself and pay for it all while the car is under warranty........ Anyway so next oil change I plan on buying the parts and doing it myself. Ill report back with the results.
By the way does anyone know where I can get a cam timing pin for it?

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like your conversation went as well as mine did. I started with wanting to get my included 10k mile service taken car of. I was told it wasn't included on my year and model which I now know isn't true according to the window sticker. Next item, I explained basically the same thing you did. Told them there is a service bulletin for European 2.0L TDI's, etc. Told me they can't do anything unless there is a service bulletin in the USA. They then told me is issue is likely because I'm not waiting long enough for the glow plugs to run. I told them no, this is a 15', it has push button start, the computer decides how long to run the glow plugs before cranking the engine. They told me no I'm supposed to hit the button, wait for the glow plug light to go out then touch the brake. Ugh, I give up you don't even know how to start the car! Next item I thought would be easy, bad battery, told them car wouldn't crank over this morning. They told me no batteries are a "wear" item. I told them I've owned the car for 6 months, batteries don't normally go bad in 6 months. The conversation ended asking me if there was anything else they can help me with. I told them no, apparently there is nothing you can help with.

There's no way in the world they'll ever diagnose the valve so I figure I'll just replace it myself too. Hopefully I'll find another dealer to at least cover the battery.

Last edited:

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Yeah its not worth the rise in blood pressure I get every time I go to them just to save 300 bucks, plus they are going to do more damage than anything. After I got my car back the second time I found an oil spot on my floor mat, no idea where that came from guess they set something with oil in my car?? And they made a mess when they took the fuel sample lol idiots, all I can do is shake my head in disgust.

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Got my parts from ECS tuning and replaced them Friday. The housing came with the gasket so you don't have to worry about buying that separate.... So far that seems to have fixed the long cranks but I will report after a couple weeks to make sure it fixed the problem.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Got my parts from ECS tuning and replaced them Friday. The housing came with the gasket so you don't have to worry about buying that separate.... So far that seems to have fixed the long cranks but I will report after a couple weeks to make sure it fixed the problem.

Looking forward to your follow up. I'm certainly going to be fixing this long crank come springtime- could you post the part numbers from ECS (so to make ordering easier)
?

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Housing # 03L109096B

Valve # 03L906455C

ECS had to order the parts, I guess they didn't have them in stock so took a couple extra days to get. I think they took pictures of my parts before they shipped them to put on their website because now you can see what your buying which is nice and my packaging was opened lol

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Hey Guys!! I'm new to the form but have had diesel VW's for about 6 years now. I am more familiar with the MK4 Jetta's but recently purchased a 2015 Golf TDI and I'm really liking it.
Anyway as the title says I'm experiencing a longer than normal cranking period the very first start of the day. After that initial long start it starts normally through the day. What I mean by long crank is the engine turns over approximately 4 to 6 times before it starts. After the first start of the day it will crank about 2 turns and fires right up.
Is anyone else experiencing this and if so whats the fix for it? My golf has 24000 miles. I replaced the fuel filter and its not any better. I'm thinking the HPFP is possibly de-priming over the night causing the extra cranks, what are your thoughts? thanks
Bought mine new (2015 Golf)

As new was 'bout 1/4 second from key to rumble.

29 months old now 'bout 1/2 second with a time progression in progress.

always garaged, Summer and Winter no difference

Not too consented -- yet -- 6,000 miles -- older battery issue(?)

.... hopefully the natural death of "this" particular battery will give me some advance "warning" -- slow to crank - start... etc.

... at that point will be a rapid visit to either VW or SAM'S

... the order will be: Want the most expensive, biggest, longest year, most cranking power, on the planet

================

Sadly wife's (2015) RAV4 LIMITED crapped out (24?) months while shooing.

Toyota supplied free battery. but still inconvenient.

===============

If I still own this car in 40-42 months from NEW -- I just might get a new one. That is a 100% sure way to avoid a nuisance. :D

Agreene

TDI
2015 Golf tdi 6m Silk Blue
My Golf is getting worse with the longer crank times mainly in the mornings, googled and found this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvHdmq0reA

The guy is pretty good at explaining. the car he is working on is a 2014 but uses the EA288 motor.
Anyone having any luck with VW warranting this?

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried with no luck, I also had a bad battery and had to go to more than one dealer to get them to warrantee that.

I know another fellow on the site replaced the valve himself but unfortunately it didn't seem to have solved the problem. There's a number of people having the same issue. There must be a solution, just a matter of finding it.

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been able to report back. Unfortunately the oil control valve didn't fix my long cranks. I'm still having them just like before. I'm at a loss on what it could be, Back to the drawing board I guess.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been able to report back. Unfortunately the oil control valve didn't fix my long cranks. I'm still having them just like before. I'm at a loss on what it could be, Back to the drawing board I guess.
Thanks for the update- but this news has depressed me. I was looking forward to the spring to get the fix done. Didn't the guy in the video say it fixed his long start?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Has anyone found a reliable cure to this issue? I had about a 7 second crank before fire today. Most ive seen before was 2-3 seconds once or twice in the past 4 months of ownership.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I also noticed this happening with my car recently over the past month. Sometimes it cranks for a couple of seconds before it starts. I did notice the longest crank happened when I left my car in my garage for over 36 hours without driving. Typically drive my car everyday. Maybe that might have something to do with it.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Me too, had my 2015 GSW about a month now... had this happen a few times. Don't remember the temperatures.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Under certain cold-start conditions, these cars have a provision to purge the air out of the HPFP prior to allowing the fuel to pressurize. Apparently the CP4 are a lot more sensitive to damage air causing them to run dry. So under certain conditions the rail pressure regulator valve opens for a few seconds on a cold startup to make sure the HPFP is properly primed to avoid damage from air in the pump.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
In a CP3 or CP4 system, a deflation of the low or high pressure stage may be necessary if the vehicle was driven on an empty tank, or after the engine is started for the first time. In a CP3 system the air is shifted by the presupply pump through the metering unit. It then reaches the fuel pump again through the zero delivery throttle. This may result in long starting times or the engine not starting. In CP4 systems a deflation of the high pressure stage by opening the PCV may be necessary under certain circumstances. Deflation of the high pressure stage will become active, if at a starter speed the rail pressure does not exceed a pressure threshold even after a certain time.

Reactions: kmi

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
On mine I've observed it seems to only happen during cold starts during the warm months of the year. I had the long crank half a dozen times last summer but since temperatures have been less than 40 it starts right up. Have others observed this? When it's cold out mine starts impressively fast.

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
On mine I've observed it seems to only happen during cold starts during the warm months of the year. I had the long crank half a dozen times last summer but since temperatures have been less than 40 it starts right up. Have others observed this? When it's cold out mine starts impressively fast.

^^This^^^

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
The few times I've experienced this, the car had sat in the garage overnight. But this past weekend, it sat outside overnight and temps were in the mid to low 20's, which resulted in a 4-5 second long crank in the morning. Curious what is causing this...

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
the long cranking is a safety mechanism for the HPFP. This is what VW changed in response to the early 1st gen failures in HPFP. It is a programming routine in the ECU.

It works like this:
After a revolution or two the rail pressure is not at spec, this indicates air in the HPFP.

the ECU then vents the rail until the model calculations say the air should be purged.
Then the PCV closes again and the car is allowed to start.

This process is called "deflation" and it is intended to help prevent the rash of early failures seen in the 1st gen HPFP.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
the long cranking is a safety mechanism for the HPFP. This is what VW changed in response to the early 1st gen failures in HPFP. It is a programming routine in the ECU.

It works like this:
After a revolution or two the rail pressure is not at spec, this indicates air in the HPFP.

the ECU then vents the rail until the model calculations say the air should be purged.
Then the PCV closes again and the car is allowed to start.

This process is called "deflation" and it is intended to help prevent the rash of early failures seen in the 1st gen HPFP.
I'm not sure this is the cause, at least on my car as it seems to only happen when the engine is at a certain temperature--somewhere in the 60 degree neighborhood. I'll have to take closer note when it happens in the future. I never once had the long crank starting it cold over the winter but yesterday it cranked a little longer than usual after it was hot but then sat outside for about 3 hours when the air temp was around 30. Just guessing but I'm thinking the engine cooled off to that 60 degree range during that time.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I had the same issue recently, it was quite a long crank followed by an instant start. I'm going to check fuel pressure before start tomorrow morning, it seems with 1700hpa that it starts right up. Will see if it's lower than that tomorrow...