New 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof

socomo65

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Been lurking here for a few weeks doing research before I purchased...
Bought 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof, DSG, Candy White/Cornsilk on Saturday. It was a demo with 1400 miles on it. Insisted they swap out the Hankooks for Continentals; they are doing that as I post this.
It was the first car I drove when test driving and I liked it the best. Considered Accord, Camry, Passat Gasoline, and Sonata. TDI impressed me with how smooth it was. Accord was my second choice.
I've read many of the postings here and have concern over the headlights. Would switching to a Sylvania or other aftermarket bulb help, or will I see the same issues that I see now (low beam doesn't project very far). I live in a rural area and considered buying the SE w/ Sunroof and NAV for the fog lights.
Thanks for your input

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Fog lights wont extend the distance of your lights in rural settings. If your lows arent providing enough light you can aim the beam up, or move to a more rural area where there isnt oncoming traffic and you can use your highs.

I love the high beams on my car and I too live in a rural area. I intend on adjusting the low beams UP and also to get fog lights for those rainy crappy days.

Hope you enjoy your car as much as we are enjoying ours. Please post once you get the car back with the Conti's and let us know if you notice a difference.

socomo65

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Fitted with Continentals

I don't really see much difference, but we'll see in the rain and snow. We had a light snow earlier in the week and I was not impressed with how the Hankooks handled.

Any input on after-market halogen bulbs?

TA

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
The sylvania silver star or silver star ultra's might be worth a try.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Silverstar Ultras, and increase the voltage using VCDS, night and day difference for me. I also adjusted them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kr70

TDI
2005 passat tdi, 2013 passat tdi SE
I live in the country too. Have an SE tdi, no fog lights, I will be adding them shortly. We have a deer problem and the fog lights help light up the berm. Big help in avoiding deer. ECS had a OEM kit for around $375-400

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I doubt you'll be impressed with the OEM Contis in the snow. They are all-season. The Contis should be more quiet than the Hankooks, though. You'll be much better served by getting a set of dedicated winter tires. 16 in wheels will be cheaper and narrower, so they'll get better traction in the snow.

socomo65

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Thanks for the info.

We don't get much snow around here lately; Less than an inch so far this winter. I expect Feb and Mar will bring more. All-Season tires will probably do me just fine.

I know OEM tires are hit and miss. If I can get to the 40,000 DSG fluid change with these tires, I'll be happy.

I may spring for the Slyvania's but I'm not sure about making the change via VCDS. I'll also be adding a set of weathertech mats in tan to match the rest of the interior. May consider the fog lights at some point. Just have to pay the stupid sales tax first.

TA