Tacoma or Colorado diesel? needs an opinion!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
as the title says! need an opinion/input from fellow members. i am on the fence of buying new truck. narrowed it down to either Tacoma or Colorado diesel, can't decide which one to buy. test drove both. price wise Colorado diesel is bit expensive(aprx 4k). Colorado LT with convenience pkg has more features than similarly equipped Tacoma. which ever is chosen i am planning to keep for long time. help me decide!

appreciate your input!
-thanks

Last edited:

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Brad - do you have a GM Supplier Discount?

I was pricing out a Colorado Diesel and here is what I came up with.

GM Supplier Discount ($2200) + Consumer Cash ($500) + GM Card ($1000) + USAA ($750)

In my example - $4450 (that should pay for the $3,905.00 diesel premium)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
since this is a gas/diesel question as well, how many miles do you plan to put on over the long time you hope to keep it?

will you drive it every day? park it for extended periods?

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
Brad - do you have a GM Supplier Discount?
no i don"t.

GM Supplier Discount ($2200) + Consumer Cash ($500) + GM Card ($1000) + USAA ($750)
sorry! not to be rude! but "what is Gm Supplier Discount"? i don't have GM Card nor USAA account!

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
since this is a gas/diesel question as well, how many miles do you plan to put on over the long time you hope to keep it?
just like my beloved passat TDI, i plan to put around 17k/year.

will you drive it every day? park it for extended periods?
won't be driving every day but when i drive most of my trips (except few) will be 100 miles both ways. definitely not parking for extended periods!

-thanks

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I'd go with Tacoma. Historically higher residual value and reliability. Tacoma wins off pavement. Downside is the seating position.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
just like my beloved passat TDI, i plan to put around 17k/year.

won't be driving every day but when i drive most of my trips (except few) will be 100 miles both ways. definitely not parking for extended periods!

-thanks
Just run the numbers and it is a no brainer choice: Buy the Toyota and don't look back. Look at the book value for a 5 or 7 year old Chevy truck and compare it to the value for a 5 or 7 year old Tacoma. The Toyota is worth thousands more than the Chevy.
Look at the Consumer Reports repair history for the Toyota Vs Chevrolet. Big advantage to the Toyota.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
Look at the book value for a 5 or 7 year old Chevy truck and compare it to the value for a 5 or 7 year old Tacoma. The Toyota is worth thousands more than the Chevy.
Look at the Consumer Reports repair history for the Toyota Vs Chevrolet. Big advantage to the Toyota.
that's very true! but Chevy Colorado (Diesel Version) is new hence their is not much repair history available !. if i compare gas version of colorado then yes! Tacoma is obvious choice.

-thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
New models almost always have bugs that need worked out. I've been super impressed by all the toyota trucks I have owned. Of course they were mostly 80's-90's models.

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
no i don"t.

sorry! not to be rude! but "what is Gm Supplier Discount"? i don't have GM Card nor USAA account!
A GM Supplier Discount is the discount price you pay for a vehicle as an eligible company employee.

Just FYI - when I bought my Passat I paid MSRP (didn't even get a free tee-shirt), but when I bought my RAM I got 8,000 off the sticker price. I know GM has a ton of different options to give you a discount (military, teacher and so on)

I would go for the diesel Colorado for the same reason I've purchased my last 4 vehicles - because they offer a diesel. Toyota has worked hard to keep their diesel models out of this market and I would rather not reward that behavior.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Well, Toyota's quality has been decreasing, and GM's has been increasing, but I don't think they have gotten to the even point yet.
The diesel engine is new, and may be perfect, but the rest of the truck is current GM. Unfortunately for the research, the truck is also new, so there isn't any true reliability info out yet. Only assumptions. So, there is no guarantee that the Toy is better, but historically it is the case.

On the other hand, if the diesel engine really works for what you want of it (more than just commuting) then it might be your best bet. From what I have seen about diesel pickups, they last longer when they are worked, compared to when they merely commute. Similar to how the TDIs need the "Italian tune up" on occasion, and like being driven harder.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Brad,

Sounds like you would just like the Colorado Diesel because you would like to have it. I have no problem with understanding that. Spend the extra $5K or so and get the truck/engine you want to own for a while.

Heck I just spend a bunch of money on a 47 year old car with 24,000 miles on it just because I wanted to drive it once or twice a month with the top down in the spring and summer. The top will likely stay down all year. Quite sure you didn't buy the Corvette because it made sense! And that is OK.

deuxdiesel

TDI
'12 Golf TDI, 14' Beetle TDI, '16 GTI
Are you going to be towing heavy loads, or is this just an on-road daily commuter? If you are looking for longevity, a Tacoma with the 2.7 four manual trans has a nearly bullet-proof record. These are 300-500K engines, an it is unlikely the new Tacoma 3.5 six can match that. Downside? Slow acceleration, and limited towing ability (3,500 lbs). Even in 4x4 versions, users are reporting 24 MPG.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
No Tacoma diesel in the US/Canada. Colorado looks interesting, but I'm sure they will have DEF problems.

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
Tacoma still suffers with rust issues so if you live in the rust belt be prepared to keep the frame oiled.

Tacoma will destroy the gm off road. On road gm will have a better ride.

Tacoma resale is at the top of the list. Reliability is OK. Motor is bulletproof at least.

Basically if you want nice on road ride with luxury options, get the gm. If you want off road beast and hold value, get the toyota

Note: I've been driving Toyota trucks all my life and currently have a 2012 tacoma

If you any Toyota questions I am huge into the Tacoma world just let me know

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The Diesel in in the Colorado has been used for several year in the Middle East and is a proven motor it had to have the Emissions for the US

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Tacoma. The Chevy/GMC looks like a nice truck, but no way in hell would I drop $40k (the going rate for a diesel) mid-size truck.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Colorado with the gas engine. 4 cyl or 6, take your pick. You can probably get a better real world deal on that vehicle than on either a diesel Colorado (too hard to get = you pay full list) or a Tacoma (where you pay for the name).

I know a couple of people who have a new Colorado - one diesel, one gas. They have both been fine.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Another small thing that may or may not be a factor. If you want 2 wheel drive, the Colorado is the normal ride height (which is still pretty high). The new Tacoma only comes with the raised (same as 4x4) suspension. There is no low-ride-height version available any more, not even on a 2 wheel drive truck.

If you are off-roading and using the 4x4 capability, so be it. If you are tossing stuff in and out of the bed all the time and using the truck on road and don't need 4 wheel drive ... that high load floor is a liability.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Another small thing that may or may not be a factor. If you want 2 wheel drive, the Colorado is the normal ride height (which is still pretty high). The new Tacoma only comes with the raised (same as 4x4) suspension. There is no low-ride-height version available any more, not even on a 2 wheel drive truck.

If you are off-roading and using the 4x4 capability, so be it. If you are tossing stuff in and out of the bed all the time and using the truck on road and don't need 4 wheel drive ... that high load floor is a liability.
I always wondered why they keep making trucks higher and higher. Loading stuff in my friends 2500 GMC 4x4 is a real pain.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I always wondered why they keep making trucks higher and higher. Loading stuff in my friends 2500 GMC 4x4 is a real pain.
Because everyone knows that low trucks are for wussies -- marketing, marketing, marketing...

If function ruled, they'd be designed differently.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Have you looked at tacoma prices? They are comoarable
That was my point. If I'm going to drop $35-40k on a midsize truck...I'd want one that's going to be worth more than a carton of smokes and a case of Natty Light when it hits 10 years and 200k miles.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I was set on a Colorado or Canyon diesel until I drove one. I liked the look, the highway ride and just about everything else about the Colorado diesel except the way it drove around town. It's way too sluggish for me. I can't feel that TQ that I have come to love in other diesels I have owned or driven. I really wanted one too. I'm giving up my 15 GSW TDI soon and would like to replace it with another diesel that has a little more utility. I think a Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel will be my next test drive. If I don't like that I will seriously consider a Tacoma. I owned an 06 for a while and really liked it. Resale value was fantastic.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
Read up on Ecodiesels before you buy one. They are a work in progress.
I've been doing quite a bit of reading on this. The deep discounts on Grand Cherokee's are very tempting, but I need to drive one. I am not interested in a RAM truck. Right now I am leaning towards getting the 2016/17 Tacoma TRD off road crew cab. I really like the look and feel of that truck and I know resale value will be very good.