Buyer beware - fishy sale in Las Vegas

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5675347025.html#

Just an FYI, buyer beware for anyone in Vegas who might be looking to buy TDIs. I went to see this car yesterday and it feels very shady. The guy says he's the original owner, clean title, but then he slipped up and said it was a lease turn-in. He also said he wanted cash instead of a bank check, and he didn't want to let me drive the car because he let the registration expire and has no insurance on the car.

The icing on the cake for me was he brought up the "recall" as he put it, and said he is not participating because he hired his own attorney, and he has to pay the attorney 40% of his settlement. Not to mention, what attorney would advise him it is 'ok' to sell the car prior to reaching his own settlement? Why sell a car for $10900 in July when he could sell it back to VW in October for $16000 and pay no attorney's fees? Makes absolutely no sense.

Mods, if this topic is off-limits, please feel free to delete.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
probably not a car originally bought in Nevada. the front license plate frame.... front plates not required if manufacturer does not have a mount place molded or built in. But Vegas is a transient town. I moved there in 2011, and have since moved away again.

but not wanting a bank check is the norm now. too many scammers have been forging bank checks. Doing such a good job it takes several days for the bank to return it. So most bank now will hold funds for several days on a bank check. home printer quality and unlimited paper options have made it easy for them.