Ideas on DPF cleaning?

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
@VeeDubTDI sorry for the auto correct, soot is 200 grams.

@Savageman99 I called vw but didn't have my vin, I will call tomorrow and then chat about your dpf.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Is it 200 grams or 200% (90 grams) of the maximum allowable value? You've mentioned both in this thread.

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
Mechanic said 200 grams, going to try baking it so let's see what this does. They will bake it them blow compressed air to hopefully clean it out completely.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Regens happen at about 1150 F. What are they going to use to bake it to reach these kinds of temps needed to burn off the soot?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
You can use a general purpose ceramic kiln to bake out DPF's. The very nature of a kiln works out very well because the small ovens limit air movement which reduces the chances of the filter "lighting off". You can usually pick these up in Craigslist for $100 or so.
Ramp the filter up slowly to about 600deg C then hold for about an hour. If you see a lot of smoke shut the oven off and maintain a lower temperature until the smoking stops.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
Regens happen at about 1150 F. What are they going to use to bake it to reach these kinds of temps needed to burn off the soot?
Soot will start to oxidize at around 350C. Some of the soot probably won't burn off at that temperature. If you can get the temps up to 725C ish, you will be able burn off pretty much all of the soot from diesel fuel. Soot from additives or engine oil may not oxidize.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
In my experience the precious metal washcoat will start to degrade at temperatures above 650. I think 725 might be a little high if the DPF is catalyzed. If it's passive than that's a different story.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
In my experience the precious metal washcoat will start to degrade at temperatures above 650. I think 725 might be a little high if the DPF is catalyzed. If it's passive than that's a different story.
You're probably right, the catalyst will take bursts of higher temps, but a sustained heat soak at those temps is probably a bad idea.

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
The filter came back today from cleaning, still in good condition and apparently lots of crap came out of it. It should be back together tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
So even with a clean dpf the car won't regen, still getting an error code about the turbo sensor, should be replaced by tomorrow so hopefully all good. Will let you know.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Thanks for posting. Good luck with getting the car issues sorted out.

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
Getting a little frustrated, so dpf cleaned and on, egr valve replaced, turbo sensor which think is on the actuator and got a message today that car still won't regen. Now will it regen manually even with no soot?

Will call the mechanic Tuesday to get a further update.

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
Yes it can. When we change a DPF at my dealership, we force a regen so the computer relearns the soot levels.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

trafficticket

TDI
2011 jetta
Ok so I got my car back! Last issue was wire to egr valve sensor was broken, hope that sounds correct? So dpf cleaning not replace, actuator on turbo replaced, an egr control valve replaced, egr valve wire fixed, total cost $2300 cdn. I gotta give it to Josef at Ecowagons in Newmarket, he asked for help and even a friend told him to replace the turbo but he was adamant that the turbo did not need replacing, thank god it was finally only that wire.

I hope my experience has or will help someone on here.

And thanks Josef for the free oil change. He added a can of liquid moly to my tank, car seems to pull pretty hard, maybe its because I've been driving the old beetle, golf or v10?

Thanks guys.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
trafficticket,

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear that you got it all sorted out.:)