hand brake spring in caliper

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
if the hand brake is disconected at the caliper, the part that is suposed to pivit does not. What can be done to get it working? I sprayed fluid film in it but didn't help.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
-=PYRO=- said:
if the hand brake is disconected at the caliper, the part that is suposed to pivit does not. What can be done to get it working? I sprayed fluid film in it but didn't help.
Keep soaking it in a penetrating fluid, being careful not to get any on the pads, and keep working it. I know my brake guru really made a point of making sure I got the the sliders and pins really cleaned and lubed when we changed my brakes. Presumably the problems you're having is why. (Thanx Kev!)

-=PYRO=-

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JET TDI
thanks but the pins are great. just the lever for the handbrake is seized. I'll keep working it though and hope it works in. Anyone else have an idea? anyone have an exploded view of the rear caliper? How does that spring come out?

Last edited:

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I have not had great success in freeing up the emergency brake pivots on rear calipers. Usually when they seize, the best fix is a new caliper. You can try soaking in penetrating fluid leaving for a few hours and then working back and forth. Repeat this a few times.

With rear disc brakes it is very important to use the handbrake all the time to prevent this from happening.