Unofficial MK7 Oil Change Guide

Bueller

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL
If it's sealing completely and not leaking I can't imagine leaving it alone until the next oil change would be a problem. I've re-used O-rings plenty of times.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you did not open that drain on the filter cap, you would not need to do so only to change the o ring.

if, on the other hand, you had opened it up, would be good to use the new small O ring.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Thanks Bueller and meerschm for the reassurance.

(Given that there is no tool/attachment for draining the filter for an MK7 I did not touch the filter drain).

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Just did our first change yesterday with not much difficulty. Messier with the oil filter and the oil pan insulation absorbing some oil, but not terrible. I was also surprised to see that the oil pan is NOT plastic like I have read elsewhere. It looks to be aluminum wrapped in foam insulation, and then has a plastic cover over that!

I would like to add that the little grey clip on the (charge air system?) coolant pump was somewhat tricky as you have to pull it out and then also squeeze it like a normal connector to pull it off the pump. I just pulled the grey clip out and thought that was all there was to it and it gave me a fit obviously. Also, if not already mentioned, the oil filter cap drain plug is 13mm, and the oil pan drain plug is torqued to 22ft-lbs with new copper crush washer.

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys, got my 10k service yesterday and on the oil quantity the number was "60" what unit of measurement is this? Better not be oz!
Volkswagen usually requires the dealers to bill out fluids such as coolant or in your case, oil a certain way for warranty purposes. Your dealer may have the LL03 in bulk, so they have it billed out as 1/10 of a quart i.e. 60=6 quarts. HTH.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Anyone have a part # for the oil drain plug? I'm planning to go to the dealer today to use my white dealer card to get all the parts needed for my 20k service.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Have them run the VIN.

or you can enter vin and dive down.

https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com/87058464014618647

here or elsewhere.

I found online access from a dealer to be less cost. (sometimes. today my local dealer set something so now the onliine prices match retail listed on other sites)

check the oil. my dealer started selling the 507 00 oil in quarts vs liters. (same price)

Last edited:

wolfr83

TDI
'11 Jetta TDI Man
Great article

Thanks for posting this Jason. I followed you instructions and completed the oil change in about an hour and a half.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Very helpful Thanks. What a PITA that filter location is. Ugh I wish they'd left it topside like my other VWs and E46 BMW.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
It sure can. I installed the frostheater. Got it from idparts.com and it was easy. Do yourself a favor and buy a good hose cutter before install.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Somebody ought to put together a good quality remote oil filter kit for these cars. There must be room somewhere that's more easily accessible.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why? because you have one? That is a totally different issue that a coolant heater.
No, I don't have a mk7, or a remote oil filter. I bet there are more than a few mk7 owners that would appreciate a topside oil filter setup though.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just had mine changed at my dealer for $77. It would cost me $81.95 just for the same OEM oil and filter and plug (IDParts) plus my own labor. I have had good luck with my dealer on things such as this. A remote oil filter kit wouldn't help me at all. Plus I want it on VW's record the service was performed by them for warranty purposes. If I could save a good sum by doing it myself or my dealer service sucked then maybe. Some things they aren't so reasonable on. Partly why I sold my 2003 for a 2015. In and out in an hour +/- with complimentary spray rinse and vacuum. Just no reason for me to even mess with it at that price and service level. Not everyone has a VW service department that does good work, but I am glad I have them as a resource.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, then why don't you do it? And all these mk7 owners would be appreciative to you.
I'll see if I can squeeze it in. It's hard finding the time with all of the helping the orphans and finding a cure for cancer. Not to mention the internet perusing. :)

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Trust me ive looked into a remote oil filter setup for my MK7 Golf. I was wanting to do an Amsoil dual remote. That way you get the bypass filtering as well. On the MK5s you could get a plate that bolted to the block if you removed the stock oil filter housing and bracket. Foreseeable issues.... Warranty would be the 1st. Next issue id be concerned with is oil flow from the oil pump. Does the pump flow enough to pump the extra distance to the remote setup and added resistance. Anyone have any input on that?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well. I just did my first oil change on the 15. Fuzz over 20k miles. It was a half quart low after 11k miles.

Belly pan was simple. Used an old spark plug wire to hold coolant hose up and away.

When the oil plug was out, I did what I do to all my vehicles, drilled the center out, and silver soldered a brass ball valve to the end of it, with handle removed and a slot cut for flat blade screwdriver to close/open. Barbed nipple on the end. Super easy no mess drains. Slip an end over the barb, other in a container, open and wait.

The filter came off easy, obviously pull the center plug in that to drain the filter housing before spinning off.

I probably lost 2 tablespoons of oil, and that was the growlers fault getting in my way trying to pour in new oil!

30mins of actual tools and hands on the car.

2hrs and a growler to find a ball valve somewhere in the garage.

1minute to drill

5 Mins to solder.

No jack stands. no hoist.

Straddled the 30ft long in floor pit.

Im hoping the 30k mark will be even quicker and easier. With or without a growler.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Trust me ive looked into a remote oil filter setup for my MK7 Golf. I was wanting to do an Amsoil dual remote. That way you get the bypass filtering as well. On the MK5s you could get a plate that bolted to the block if you removed the stock oil filter housing and bracket. Foreseeable issues.... Warranty would be the 1st. Next issue id be concerned with is oil flow from the oil pump. Does the pump flow enough to pump the extra distance to the remote setup and added resistance. Anyone have any input on that?
Ive actually looked into adding an additional oil scavenging pump that would draw oil from the oil pan and at 60 psi run it threw an Amsoil bypass set up and back to the valve cover. I priced all the parts out to about $700. I would use a gear type oil pump thats built for race cars with a dry sump. The pump i was looking at is around $300 and is made to pump motor oil to and from a turbo. The pump measures 4" × 4" × 6". But as everyone knows the Ea288 is packed into the Golf tight so it and the filter ass would have to find space either by front bumper or by exhaust bits.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
OK I'm fascinated by this scenario.

I drove maybe 450 miles, now I'm all of a sudden rain randomly getting reduce oil level alters.... Hot or cold.

Sometimes ignition kill will make it go away, other times it doesn't, and in between all its totally random!

It's less random on mornings when I'm parked in my driveway. It's a fuzz 5* incline, as car nose points uphill, and the sensor is in back of pan...

What's more ridiculous and the fact I haven't shown much concern, is it's near perfect on the stick, as in maybe 1mm out of bounds on the stick being too high on level ground.

Any one ever get a oil level too high alert on dash?

I'm just gonna wait it out. Few more table spoons past the rings and I'll be good.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I probably lost 2 tablespoons of oil, and that was the growlers fault getting in my way trying to pour in new oil!

Boy was I ever confused when I read this...

2hrs and a growler to find a ball valve somewhere in the garage.

With or without a growler.

Aahh, that makes MUCH more sense now..

Boy you threw me for a loop when I started reading this post man. i'm like how did I get in your way while pouring your oil into youtr car..

then I kept reading and realised you has some libations in the process..

aah, all is well.

Glad you got it all taken care of.

Aaron

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
OK I'm fascinated by this scenario.

I drove maybe 450 miles, now I'm all of a sudden rain randomly getting reduce oil level alters.... Hot or cold.

Sometimes ignition kill will make it go away, other times it doesn't, and in between all its totally random!

It's less random on mornings when I'm parked in my driveway. It's a fuzz 5* incline, as car nose points uphill, and the sensor is in back of pan...

What's more ridiculous and the fact I haven't shown much concern, is it's near perfect on the stick, as in maybe 1mm out of bounds on the stick being too high on level ground.

Any one ever get a oil level too high alert on dash?

I'm just gonna wait it out. Few more table spoons past the rings and I'll be good.

On these cars it can't be too high or too low. It has to be just right.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
About 100 miles after picking my car up when i bought it i got "reduce oil level" notification. I drove the remaining 4 hours home. Once home i checked the oil. Holy cow. I had to drain over a quart out to get it in level and the warning to go away. Some peoples kids i tell ya.