Anyone else annoyed with the new oil filter cartridge location on the new TDI's? ....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

copied from post 12 on previous page.

the small plug can be removed, which will let oil in the filter area drain.

from the video, you can see there is a bunch of stuff under, which is likely to be covered in oil, unless somehow covered or pushed out of the way.

as mentioned earlier (or at least hinted at) similar designs on earlier VW gas engines had a valve under that small cap that enabled use of a screw-in tool with drain hose to operate the valve and drain oil, which reduced some of the mess.

then the larger cap has to be removed, then the filter, which comes out the bottom.

I guess the jiffy lube is ok, if you bring your own oil and filter, (or at least verify they have the right stuff) Better than draining the oil on the side of the road.

call it personal preference, and local options available. I used a quick oil place for a while when i first moved to DC area. no place to do the work.

Not really rocket science, but a lot of screws to loose track of in the bottom cover, and easy to over-torque filter cap and drain plug.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks. Much clearer with that. Looks like the poor oil changer would have to be fast with a funnel attached to a hose but he'd still have oil down his sleeves. Maybe let the cap fall into the funnel and open it holding the funnel under it? Any special tools required to open/close the caps or insert the cartridge?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hacks screw up oil changes on all kinds of cars, but ESPECIALLY TDIs. Mangled plastic oil filter caps (because they don't have the right tool, so they just use "pliers"), overtightened oil fill caps, crappy filters with low end o-rings that shrink up and leak OR melt and glue themselves to the housing. Overtorque of the drain plug which mangles the oil pan. Over/underfilled crankcases. Wrong oil. Missing bottom shield fasteners, etc.

The list goes on and on. Going to a quickie lube for an oil change is like going to McDonald's and expecting Gordon Ramsey himself to prepare your Big Mac... you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. :rolleyes:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not the greatest design, but if it were mine...

I would use a ratchet/extension/socket inside a paper towel roll cardboard tube to take the housing cap drain plug out. Undo the plug and let the oil drain through the paper towel tube without hitting everything on the way down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm amazed at how many MKIV filter canister tops we sell. I don't know what people do to them, but they seem to break them somehow.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Here is a guess:

over torque. (or mangling trying to loosen a cap on too tight)

(or the dog takes it and chews on it)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm amazed at how many MKIV filter canister tops we sell. I don't know what people do to them, but they seem to break them somehow.

Well, like I said above. Mangled because of using wrong tools, and overtorque.

It is amazing how many we have to replace, too. Yet on cars that have never been tooefed, the original one works just as good at the 25th service as it did at the 1st. :rolleyes:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. Much clearer with that. Looks like the poor oil changer would have to be fast with a funnel attached to a hose but he'd still have oil down his sleeves. Maybe let the cap fall into the funnel and open it holding the funnel under it? Any special tools required to open/close the caps or insert the cartridge?
metric hex sockets.

I would expect a quickie lube to leave a mess of oil dripped here and there.

also probably will not change O rings or drain plug washers unless you bring them, and make a big deal on getting the old ones back. (you could suspect a dealer service dept as well)

Also would plan for something to be stripped sometime, and be happy if I made it 100k without this happening.

I think they just drain into a screened catch basin to let them recover dropped fasteners and filter covers. (since they probably are on the warm side)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
metric hex sockets.

I would expect a quickie lube to leave a mess of oil dripped here and there.

also probably will not change O rings or drain plug washers unless you bring them, and make a big deal on getting the old ones back. (you could suspect a dealer service dept as well)

Also would plan for something to be stripped sometime, and be happy if I made it 100k without this happening.

I think they just drain into a screened catch basin to let them recover dropped fasteners and filter covers. (since they probably are on the warm side)
So each oil change I buy a cartridge, exactly 6 liters of oil, O ring, and drain plug washer from Pep Boys and hand it to them to change? (and get my old ones back too.) Tell them to clean the oil off the things that got splashed when the oil was drained, don't over-tighten the cap or plug or mangle it taking it off. Is there a bottom shield to remove to get to the oil cap? Thanks, they may screw it up but I'm going to show them a video already.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
should be a plastic bottom cover, with two different drive size torx screws, a dozen or so to loose, or mis-align.

you might want to look under your car. (dealers have nice clean floors)

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your help. Knowledge is power. A dealer left an oil leak when I checked my cams, no oil left 100 miles away. I like to check on things as much as I can.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Always a good idea to check oil level, esp. before and after service.

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
I put my 2015 Jetta TDI on my lift yesterday, just to take a look. After removing the undertray (3 larger torx screws, and I think it was 9 smaller ones), I quickly found the location of the oil filter. Not as bad as what it looks like in that video of the Golf.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/filter1.JPG

In this image, the front of the car is toward the top. There is minor obstruction by one wiring harness, but I don't think it will be a problem. The wiring harness can be moved a bit by unclipping from a support.

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/filter2.JPG

(The Insert Image function isn't working for me for some reason, so I'm just inserting links.)

Life is good when you have a two-post lift in the garage, but I think a DIY oil change will be fine on ramps or jack stands. Not as easy as on the '08 Lancer I just sold (super convenient location of the oil filter under the front of the motor). Looks like it will be a lot better than an oil change on my wife's '03 Tacoma (good thing I have long, skinny arms to get to that filter).

http://academic.pgcc.edu/~mhubley/Porsche/jettalift.JPG

With not-quite-900 miles on the car, I'm a ways away from my first oil change. If nobody beats me to it, I'll post a how-to when the time comes.

Looks like the filter housing does have the center drain plug. If anyone can figure out whether you just remove that and it drains, or if you have to screw something into it, please post that information.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
must be a story behind the choice of Porsche for your directory name.

Welcome to TDICLUB!

congrats on your new ride.

see first page of this thread. that tool only makes a difference if you can pull the center plug and operate a valve included in the larger cap.

seems like this valve is not included,

we look forward to your updated DIY info. let me know when you are ready for that oil change, and I can bring a video and/or still camera. (also my VCDS if you have not performed a scan by then.

Last edited:

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like I posted in the wrong area. I hope the Golf community doesn't mind a Jetta owner joining in! I got caught up in the oil filter discussion. My wife's Taco has over 430,000 miles on it, and I've changed its oil about every 5K miles. That's a lot of Fram 3614 filters!

By my calculations I'm about six months away from my first oil change. If there aren't already multiple new TDI oil change videos posted by then, we'll get together and produce our own!

I've been a Porsche owner since 1997, and I've been involved with a few Porsche forums and posted various Porsche-related pics over the years. 1986 944, 1987 924S, 1999 Boxster, and now a 2000 911. My first car was a '69 Beetle. Guess I've got a thing for German cars.

By the way, got 44 MPG from my first tank of TDI fuel. Nice!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have fun!

this site is full of helpful hints, good questions, misinformed opinions, and solid advice.

(which is which can be the challenge)

my ex wife was driving a '69 beetle when I met her. I remember changing out a rusted exhaust manifold trying to get some heat in it. one side of the car on a curb, in the student housing parking lot. the floor vents were so rusted it did not make much of a difference.

that was my only VW till the '09 JSW.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Is there enough room to hold a funnel up under the filter housing while taking out the drain plug? You know those funnels with the long flexible hose coming from them?

That way, you just take the plug out, and hopefully catch the oil in the funnel which drains into a bucket or something, instead of all over the place.

Or how about a heavy duty plastic bag? Work that up so it's covering the entire cap, take the plug out from outside the plastic bag (using the bag itself almost like a glove) and let all the oil from the filter housing fill the bag. Then, while trying to remove the bag, you dump it all over yourself anyway...or in a bucket if you're lucky. ;)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Is there enough room to hold a funnel up under the filter housing while taking out the drain plug? You know those funnels with the long flexible hose coming from them?

That way, you just take the plug out, and hopefully catch the oil in the funnel which drains into a bucket or something, instead of all over the place.

Or how about a heavy duty plastic bag? Work that up so it's covering the entire cap, take the plug out from outside the plastic bag (using the bag itself almost like a glove) and let all the oil from the filter housing fill the bag. Then, while trying to remove the bag, you dump it all over yourself anyway...or in a bucket if you're lucky. ;)
That's what I'm attempting this weekend during my first oil change .
I do have the exact funnel you're talking about and seems it will work no problem.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So how did it go?

Not so good,oil dripped down over wires and hoses as expected. Simply not enough room to get a funnel up there of any size or shape.wasnt too bad though just have your drain pan underneath to catch what drips down

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So far we've identified only one canister/cover/oil filter for the engine family. Looks like this.

There isn't a hole in the center of the drain plug.

Mine definitely doesn't look like that. No threads visible on the cap but there is a Hex head plug in the center that I didn't bother removing.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Interesting Jason. So yours looks different than this? This is mine which looks like the one IBW posted. I guess it's not out of the question there are different versions.

2002_tdinut

TDI
Looking for a new TDI ...
Hi Nutty,

How difficult is it to move the wires that cross the filter housing away to prevent them from getting soaked/covered in oil?

Thanks.

Joe

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Hi Nutty,

How difficult is it to move the wires that cross the filter housing away to prevent them from getting soaked/covered in oil?

Thanks.

Joe
Pretty easy I thought. No big deal compared to a lot of cars. Reminds me of the 3.0/3.8 Taurus and Sables but less in the way. But I haven't done the change yet.
Better pic to show but I didn't actually unclip things which would be the way to go pulling the filter housing:

2002_tdinut

TDI
Looking for a new TDI ...
Awesome! Thank you so much for the additional photo and information. It really helps us make plans for oil changes.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting Jason. So yours looks different than this? This is mine which looks like the one IBW posted. I guess it's not out of the question there are different versions.

Maybe it is now that I see it in better detail,I didn't remove the center plug so maybe that's why it looks different .
I would imagine by the time you remove the Centre plug and insert the drain tool the oil would ha e drained out unless there's a check valve of some sort.