Honda confirms 2009 Accord diesel

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Nice. Real Nice! I hope that they have done this engine justice. I might give up my Jetta if 50 mpgs can be coaxed from a bigger, more comfortable Accord. I wonder if it will have all the nice little touches the Jetta has and what it will cost?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Funguy said:
Nice. Real Nice! I hope that they have done this engine justice. I might give up my Jetta if 50 mpgs can be coaxed from a bigger, more comfortable Accord. I wonder if it will have all the nice little touches the Jetta has and what it will cost?
It's Honda.. When they set out to build an engine, they don't mess around and do it half-assed...

They've been using a 2.2L 4cyl diesel in Europe for a number of years now and it has been held in high regard over there. This is an even more improved engine!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Matt-98AHU said:
They've been using a 2.2L 4cyl diesel in Europe for a number of years now and it has been held in high regard over there. This is an even more improved engine!
I fell for this with my PD. I figured since it had been out in Europe for a number of years, the bugs had been worked out. (No pun intended)

What I didn't think about was the differences in emmisions. The EGR cooler is one of the problems I think is related to the different emissions standards, and the hard starting for some may be related as well.

The tandem pump recall? Well, that's life in the manufacturing business.

So, I would expect this Honda to have small problems with things that are directly related to the different emissions standards. I hope that they don't, but my money is on there being something.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that Honda built this for the US market. With this in mind, and thinking of Honda's past performance, I don't think they will run into the problems with the emissions. Like Matt said they don't generally do this type of thing half-assed. They do tend to be a little noisy and tin E. I drove Hondas for years in NYC. Hard driving and they took well. But they lacked comfort and convenience features........

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Isn't Europe moving towards a standard that's close to Tier 2 bin 5? If so, Honda will have an engine that can be used anywhere, rather than one for US and another for over the pond. I'm really hoping for a boxer diesel from Suby as that would be perfect for handling. Hoping Honda makes a car like the B5 Passat as far as fit and comfort go.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thunderstruck said:
Isn't Europe moving towards a standard that's close to Tier 2 bin 5? If so, Honda will have an engine that can be used anywhere, rather than one for US and another for over the pond. I'm really hoping for a boxer diesel from Suby as that would be perfect for handling. Hoping Honda makes a car like the B5 Passat as far as fit and comfort go.
I couldn't address the technical stuff about emissions standards but I hear you about the Subaru. My wife has an '02 outback sedan 3.0. I like the car but every time I drive it I think how PERFECT it would be with diesel torque and diesel economy!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I hope they have a gearbox equal to the task. 260 foot pounds of torque is a lot for a small car slushbox to absorb.

Honda engines typically display very little low-end torque, and with the low end torque abundant in a diesel, the power train guys have half the equation solved in the engine. The gearbox is the other half of the story.

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
At least up to now, Honda doesn't offer their Euro diesels with anything but a manual...

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
MR42HH said:
At least up to now, Honda doesn't offer their Euro diesels with anything but a manual...
This is America. Full of stupid Americans. We'll get an automatic.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
darkscout said:
This is America. Full of stupid Americans. We'll get an automatic.
This is reinforced by some of the quotes people wrote under that article.. I had to stop after reading approx 10 of em. :D

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Dunno513 said:
This is reinforced by some of the quotes people wrote under that article.. I had to stop after reading approx 10 of em. :D
We need to send tooef over there to straighten them out.

Oh these are good:
Diesel is generally 45 octane, although I've seen variations such as 47 and "40+"

Where I am, in the Chicago area, it's hard to even find Diesel, and where it's available they charge quite a premium. The only exception seems to be the truck stops on the Interstate. There it's cheaper than regular gas. I don't think I'd buy a Diesel out here unless I regularly drove by the truck stops or it would just be too inconvenient and expensive.

All modern diesels can run on BioD just fine, unlike the 85% Ethanol to gasonline comparison. BioDiesel is designed to be 100% compatable with regular diesel engines.

I guess honda's installing BOV's from the factory
Not only that but the turbo on this thing will be pushing at least 15 pounds of boost. What that means is when you open the throttle, you get to hear that turbo spool up and shifting will give you that satisfying "pshhh".

Not this message, but the followup
Who cares about RPM? Looking at the RPM limit is like judging processors by the mhz. I personally want a low rpm engine with a lot of torgue. I don't want to hear a high rev engine scream on highways.
Followup
I do care about RPM...a lot.I just love it when all the new fancy nice AUDIs and Renaults and whatever have to change gear at 6.500 r.p.m. while i'm giving max HP at 7.200 and shift at 7.500...Of course,it's all about priorities,i'm a 21 year-old speed-addict and you may be a 40 year-old family driver...It's absolutely reasonable to desire low-rpm torque and low consumption driving in the city...:)

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Funny, I can think of 10 within 10 miles of my house with diesel. And at 54 MPG even if there were none in Chicago I could drive to Milwaukee to fill er up.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What I love is how everyone always says that the first (Rudolf) Diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil. In point of fact, it ran on, of all things, gasoline... then kerosene, and the peanut oil was only for an exposition.

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I think you are all missing the biggest drawback of this announcement - diesel ricers :p ;)

Correction - that "rice boys" and not "ricers"

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
owr084 said:
I think you are all missing the biggest drawback of this announcement - diesel ricers :p ;)
The Japanese have been building diesels long before Volkswagen. Only Honda and Subaru are new to the game. Everyone else, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, even Mazda have diesels.

I am a big fan of Honda, and I think their diesel engine will do quite well. It is the dealership that I would be concerned about, as I bet nobody at Honda American dealer service departments likes or wants to be part of the "diesel revolution".:rolleyes:

The current US-spec Accord is a bloated whale IMHO. Slap that diesel in the Accord that Europe gets (the Acura TL here) and you'd have a Germanish driving car. Our current Accord is just another Japanese Buick like the Camry has become.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
oilhammer said:
The Japanese have been building diesels long before Volkswagen. Only Honda and Subaru are new to the game. Everyone else, Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, even Mazda have diesels.

I am a big fan of Honda, and I think their diesel engine will do quite well. It is the dealership that I would be concerned about, as I bet nobody at Honda American dealer service departments likes or wants to be part of the "diesel revolution".:rolleyes:

The current US-spec Accord is a bloated whale IMHO. Slap that diesel in the Accord that Europe gets (the Acura TL here) and you'd have a Germanish driving car. Our current Accord is just another Japanese Buick like the Camry has become.
My bad - I should been more clear and said "ricer boys" and not "ricers." How soon after the diesel Hondas arrive do you think you'll see one with a giant wing on the back, "Type R" stickers and "VTEC" badges? :rolleyes:

If they bring over an affordable diesel minivan, I'm there as soon as I pay off the Eos ;)

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
owr084 said:
My bad - I should been more clear and said "ricer boys" and not "ricers." How soon after the diesel Hondas arrive do you think you'll see one with a giant wing on the back, "Type R" stickers and "VTEC" badges?
Cry Havoc! Before you know it the diesel community will be full of ricers. Before you know it they're going to want to start adding cold air intakes, blow off valves, larger turbos, larger intercoolers, bigger injectors, ECM chips, red (and even green!) TDI emblems, tinted taillights, eCodes, bigger rims, LEDs, lifts/drops, etc,

Justler

Veteran Member
So basically we'll be back to 1999, when the TDIs first came in the mk4s? You have to start somewhere.

Everyone commits a little automobile style suicide at least once in their life.

darkscout said:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
oilhammer said:
The Japanese & Euro Accord is equivalent is not a TL. It is the Acura TSX

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
20IndigoBlue02 said:
The Japanese & Euro Accord is equivalent is not a TL. It is the Acura TSX
Sadly, I knew that and got my models confused. Thanks for the correction.

The TSX/RSX evolved from what we knew as the Integra sedan/coupe sort of, the TL evolved from the Vigor, the RL evolved from the Legend.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
oilhammer said:
Sadly, I knew that and got my models confused. Thanks for the correction.

The TSX/RSX evolved from what we knew as the Integra sedan/coupe sort of, the TL evolved from the Vigor, the RL evolved from the Legend.
I thought the Integra was from the Civic line and the TSX is from the Accord line w/smaller dimensions?

oilhammer

TDI
truman said:
I thought the Integra was from the Civic line and the TSX is from the Accord line w/smaller dimensions?
The TSX was a new platform, but it sort of filled in the spot vacated by the Integra sedan.

But yes, the old Integra and the older Civics did share a platform.