MN Chat Thread

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
purtle06 said:
Where can i bring my car to get worked on besides the dealer?
What work is needed? Depending on the work needed, I can help. You may have to do some dirty work as I may not be that flexible due to the fractured vertebrate I have.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
purtle06

where are you located, if near St. Cloud you can use my place. DB knows where it is.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'm not a mechanic, but you are welcome to use my garage if need be, I"m on the South East side of St. Cloud if needed.

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'm in New brighton but on Sunday I'm planning on doing an EGR delete, Injector swap, and putting in my new (to me) VNT20 turbo set up from Kerma.:) I am going to need some help later with putting in a new clutch probably in like two weeks if someone knows how to put a new clutch in. Otherwise I don't have the tools and am going to need to take it to a shop or something. I bet that will be around $500 in labor:( .

Farmboy said:
I don't have the kind of setup that MNMiser has . . . yet I don't think he should have to bear the burden (though he doesn't seem to think of hosting as a burden, I hope he never gets to the point of it, either) . . . I do have a good sized 2-car garage (no heat, no lift) located in Bloomington near 35W & 494, parking pad beside garage for less complicated work, plenty of street parking, and nice neighbors that I am just getting to know since I've only been at this location for a little over 4 months . . . I could host (assuming the boss, er, wife is agreeable) a less extravagant GTG at some point, perhaps even very soon, if it made sense to people . . . let me know if any of you have thoughts on the idea . . .

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Just remembered that Charlie From Kerma would like to come out and visit sometime after opener, and he was wondering if we could all have a GTG.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I'm in New brighton but on Sunday I'm planning on doing an EGR delete, Injector swap, and putting in my new (to me) VNT20 turbo set up from Kerma.:) I am going to need some help later with putting in a new clutch probably in like two weeks if someone knows how to put a new clutch in. Otherwise I don't have the tools and am going to need to take it to a shop or something. I bet that will be around $500 in labor:( .

If you want you can bring car down to me on weekend and I get your clutch replaced. I will be in MN this saturday but I will be busy with doing TB & suspension, so will not have time to help you out.

Just remembered that Charlie From Kerma would like to come out and visit sometime after opener, and he was wondering if we could all have a GTG.

Thats great, maybe I can get Q-loader then when he comes.:D

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
purtle06 said:
I am just wondering for the future. i just bought it this week. thanks tho
According to his profile, he has the 2006 Jetta. Not many of us around here are familiar with it but in time we will.

Sorry to say that I made a decision sometime ago to not learn the new engines. I want to leave it to someone who is intersted like Losha. I only know A4 engines best, next is B4/A3, and just the timing belt on A5. I did help change the oil on the BRM engine (2006 Jetta) once.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
DeafBug said:
According to his profile, he has the 2006 Jetta. Not many of us around here are familiar with it but in time we will.

Sorry to say that I made a decision sometime ago to not learn the new engines. I want to leave it to someone who is intersted like Losha. I only know A4 engines best, next is B4/A3, and just the timing belt on A5. I did help change the oil on the BRM engine (2006 Jetta) once.
Brad, you don't want to learn anymore?:D Come on, its more interesting then sticking to one particular job.;) Any way I know what you mean by that. I decided to stick with VW/Audi only, mostly TDI's, so it would be easier to keep up with them.

You right, I can't help myself been type of guy that always interested in learning new things, new cars, engines & technology. This weekend will be learning how to change TB on 2003 2.0L slow Golf, should be simplier then 1.8T engine.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
I am not young anymore and I have to do the legal way to pay off my credit cards. Beside, I need to enjoy life. I will always continue to work on the TDI engines I mentioned as long as the owner still has them.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
ajmilla - I'm only on the board sporadically, so I'm two days behind a post of yours . . . you quoted my feeler on hosting a GTG, but I'm not sure what point you were driving at . . . that you want to host in New Brighton . . . that you like the idea of going to Bloomington . . . that you prefer to wait unitl MNmiser can host again up north . . . what?

I've gotten no repsonses otherwise, unless I'm missed something, so it's probably a moot point, anway . . . :)

The offer stands, generally, to schedule a Bloomington GTG at some point, pending timing conflicts & all other caveats . . .

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Actually right now I'm not sure about a get together. I can't host one in New brighton but I could come down sometime depending on the day. Let me know when your thinking. I'm sure there will be something I will need to do on the TDI. :)

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Hey guys...I'm back. Lots of stuff going on in my life. Car is still in process but I have a few questions...please see thread in the main TDI discussion forum:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207087

Once I get this baby buttoned-up I will need the services of someone with VAG-COM. The weather is getting nice...but who knows this time of year. If its crappy...dont worry. I got a nice warm heated shop.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Local help installing Hammon mod (relay version)

I am looking for some help installing the relay vresion of the Hammon mod as discussed in this post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1936116&postcount=50

For the slow hot start problem discussed in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=134622&page=29

If you have done this fix or are confident you understand how to do it and would be willing to give me a hand I would certainly appreciate it. We can meet at a time and place that works for you.

Or if someone just knows what relay to purchase I would appreciate that information as well.

Thanks much for any help!!

ajmilla

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'm waiting on the parts for my turbo from Charlie but I havn't ordered my clutch yet. If I order it is anyone going to be around next week early to put it in? Otherwise I may just go to a shop where I know it is covered by warranty. Which isn't a bad thing with a kerma stage II vnt20.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i'm doing in the metro area now. i'll be house-sitting for a couple weeks in april. i could host a gtg then. (unheated) garage has space enough for one car to be worked on and plenty of room outside, although it may be a bit muddy... springtime... i also want to put in a vnt17 soon. good chance i could use some help with that. we'll see, i haven't ordered it yet anyways

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
MNmiser helped me

I found working with MNmiser was great for what I needed on my Golf. Had the oil and the cabin filter changed in very short order. Easy to find the wonderful [WARM] garage and he showed me how to do both changes while he worked. Good spot to get things done. I will be back for more work on my car. Thanks again. :D

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Mn Gtg

burpod said:
i'm doing in the metro area now. i'll be house-sitting for a couple weeks in april. i could host a gtg then. (unheated) garage has space enough for one car to be worked on and plenty of room outside, although it may be a bit muddy... springtime... i also want to put in a vnt17 soon. good chance i could use some help with that. we'll see, i haven't ordered it yet anyways
I have perhaps a better option for a GTG if it is kept a bit smaller. Three bays inside, room for three more parked along the side of the bays. Compressed air but no lifts, no specialty tools except for a drill press and a grinder. And the lighting needs to be improved (I could do that, if there is an interest). Outside there is pavement parking for a couple of dozen TDis.

Deep in the heart of the inner city, in case that is a problem for anyone.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Anyone in the Minneapolis south metro area ever filled up at T&T Automotive on 66th street in Richmond ?

Understand they have what I'll call seasonally appropriate biodiesel blends right at the pump. They currently have B10 and go up to B80 in the summer.

I'm just a little concerned as to the volume of fuel they go through and whether anyone has had any problems before I try them out on my next fill up.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
QtmMech said:
I have perhaps a better option for a GTG if it is kept a bit smaller. Three bays inside, room for three more parked along the side of the bays. Compressed air but no lifts, no specialty tools except for a drill press and a grinder. And the lighting needs to be improved (I could do that, if there is an interest). Outside there is pavement parking for a couple of dozen TDis.

Deep in the heart of the inner city, in case that is a problem for anyone.
it does sound like a great place for a GTG, if you want to host :) i would be up for it. if i host one, it wouldn't be for any big jobs, just small stuff (oil & filter changes, brake bleeding, etc) and hanging out. i'm more out in the country (long lake). in any case, i'm game for hosting one mid-late april if ther's interest - i'll have a better idea when exactly next week.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
bioD on south portland

MethylEster said:
Anyone in the Minneapolis south metro area ever filled up at T&T Automotive on 66th street in Richmond ?

Understand they have what I'll call seasonally appropriate biodiesel blends right at the pump. They currently have B10 and go up to B80 in the summer.

I'm just a little concerned as to the volume of fuel they go through and whether anyone has had any problems before I try them out on my next fill up.
I used the pumps there this summer as they were making the transition from D1 to BioD. It was B20, then B55 then B99 in pretty short order which makes me think they were getting a good amount of traffic. The stuff is brewed in southern minnesota. The kids at Sunday's energy were bringin it up here for a while. I am sure a tanker truck has replaced thier transport by now.

I shied away from BioD this winter for fear of gell and declining economy issues perhaps unrelated to BioD.

Jim

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
April GTG in Mpls.

cochranecustoms said:
Sounds like a good place for a gtg, in the middle for all of us. Lets do it.
Let's pick a Saturday for this. Get your votes in for April 5th, 12th, 19th 26th.

I'd be leaning more towards the last two weekends.

Jim

(anyone want to start a WIKI? I always mess those up . . .)

KJI

TDI
'05 jetta
i'm looking for a decent shop in the south metro area, it's that much anticipated time to do the timing belt goodness, any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Take a look back through the threads KJI, either Brad (Deafbug) or GreenGeeker and MNMiser can do timing belts. Brad can come to you, if he's recovered from his health issues enough, GG and MM are up north of the cities, but worth the drive.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be in St. Paul this saturday finishing up suspension overhaul on Steve's jetta wagon. Then will be doing some diagnostics on tranny shifting issues on someone else passat V6, so if any of you interested in meeting up for quick GTG lunch/dinner or help with something on your TDI let me know.