www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old November 2nd, 2019, 15:17   #8041
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Just popped up on Craigslist: 2003 Golf 2-door 5-speed, 214k, $2200, in North Branch.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...012223866.html
'03 Golf with 795k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1
Become a TDI Club Contributor. http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 18:17   #8042
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Made the mistake of not going out for lunch at work.
dead cold engine starts a lot harder than "last ran 4hr ago" engine, heh
luckily I had a can of everyone's favorite air freshener... engine was so cold it didn't even do the normal violent knock on start that ether brings, just started as if it were just nicely warm

Really should get around to getting some uncut pistons back in my engine.
Lower compression isn't necessary with modern injection timing control.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 20:01   #8043
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
Made the mistake of not going out for lunch at work.
dead cold engine starts a lot harder than "last ran 4hr ago" engine, heh
luckily I had a can of everyone's favorite air freshener... engine was so cold it didn't even do the normal violent knock on start that ether brings, just started as if it were just nicely warm

Really should get around to getting some uncut pistons back in my engine.
Lower compression isn't necessary with modern injection timing control.
haha! kicked mine over this morning at 1 degree first two rotations of the starter were sadly slow, and then she sped up and started within 4 seconds of cranking. I think ill be looking at new injector nozzles come spring... or maybe a tad sooner. I can't wait to try my frost heater, but it could at least wait another month until it's that cold.
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 20:07   #8044
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
Just popped up on Craigslist: 2003 Golf 2-door 5-speed, 214k, $2200, in North Branch.
I saw it on there!! it's sooo close i want to go look at it so bad, and would absolutely love to buy a black or blue golf!! but i'm in college and don't have much tdi free time (for mods and upgrades). someday i'll get more!!
Old November 12th, 2019, 20:26   #8045
[486]
Veteran Member

oh man, I've only got a 750w tank heater on mine, but plugged in it only needs about half a crank revolution to be running
with the ether, it is a solid 40 seconds of cranking to get it from the air cleaner through both turbos and intercoolers to the motor
Really should put a tee in the HP wastegate line to get it a huge amount closer to the intake manifold. Might just drive a different car in the cold.
Quote:
heh neat, that's pretty much my car but in much nicer shape
I'd love another, but $500's my 'buy' price
Old November 12th, 2019, 22:29   #8046
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
I saw it on there!! it's sooo close i want to go look at it so bad, and would absolutely love to buy a black or blue golf!! but i'm in college and don't have much tdi free time (for mods and upgrades). someday i'll get more!!
If I had not recently bought an '03 Jetta TDI wagon I probably would have at least had a look at it.
'03 Golf with 795k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1
Old November 13th, 2019, 06:03   #8047
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
If I had not recently bought an '03 Jetta TDI wagon I probably would have at least had a look at it.
Same car as I have. 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 198,000 miles totally stock. The battery just died and so did the alternator. Changed it over this past weekend, that was fun.

Whenever I can find Nick he is going to swap the Auto in it to my 5 speed with WaveTrack LSD, + PP520's and an a RC3 tune. Will be around 140 hp when I am done.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 07:44   #8048
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
Same car as I have. 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 198,000 miles totally stock. The battery just died and so did the alternator. Changed it over this past weekend, that was fun.
Whenever I can find Nick he is going to swap the Auto in it to my 5 speed with WaveTrack LSD, + PP520's and an a RC3 tune. Will be around 140 hp when I am done.
I would like to do a similar thing with the glowbug (mines a manual so no swap tho), but it probably won't happen anytime soon. I am planning on pp520 in the next year, and would like a malone stage2 someday, but a southbend stage 2 clutch and flywheel is kinda pricey if i'm not doing the work myself, and idk if im mechanically ready for that kind of job.

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; November 13th, 2019 at 07:47.
Old November 13th, 2019, 19:32   #8049
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

My wagon is getting the 11mm IP that I already had, plus DLC764 nozzles and a Malone Stage 3 tune. Eric Merker is doing the work -- I have neither the time nor the expertise to do more than just basic maintenance. But it's a rust-free car from Washington by way of Texas, so worth spending a few bucks to make it right.
Old November 13th, 2019, 19:56   #8050
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Ok, nice. Mine is full life MN car, has two nickel size spots of missing paint and a 5" scratch on the passenger door but neither have gotten any worse since i bought the car 3 years ago. But because it's green it is a bit sun-faded one of the reasons I have a hard time wanting to put a bunch of upgrades in it just because cosmetically it's not Mint. on the other hand since it's at 235,000 miles I'm still planning on having it a few more years, even then I think it would be really fun to pull the motor and put it in something else once the body's gone or restore it completely.

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; November 13th, 2019 at 19:59.
Old November 13th, 2019, 20:36   #8051
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
But it's a rust-free car from Washington by way of Texas, so worth spending a few bucks to make it right.
saw you in the red golf a couple weeks back on 88

the guys at work didn't believe me when I said it had like 750k on it
Old November 14th, 2019, 04:11   #8052
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
saw you in the red golf a couple weeks back on 88
the guys at work didn't believe me when I said it had like 750k on it
It amazes me too.
Old November 21st, 2019, 10:04   #8053
Redlabel6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A3 51mpg, B5.5 38mpg
Default 05 Passat

Hi everyone,
I'm needing to divest myself of a few vehicles. One is my B5.5 TDI Passat. it was original a Texas car. I've replaced the cam, done the balance shaft delete, replaced front wheel bearings, installed a Frost Heater, rear calipers, lift pump, and tandem pump. VW replaced the deck lid, hood, both front fenders and repainted one rear quarter under the rust warranty 2 or 3 years ago, so there is no rust. All oil changes since I have had it have been with the proper oil.

I also have just about everything you would need to convert it to a manual transmission except the transmission and clutch. The auto is still running fine in it. I also have spare filters, glow plugs and other items that will go with it.

I average between 35 and 38mpg with regularity. Currently is has 274xxx miles on it. I thought I would see if there is an interest here before I put it on Craigslist.
What is the consensus on a price for it?

d
Redlabel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 13:46   #8054
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

sighting. anyone seen a red lifted beetle here in MN? sounds like a 2+ inch lift maybe...

Also anyone got an ALH sitting around that maybe was in an accident, or is just MN eaten? (just not worth fixing or getting road worthy again) but has a good motor. Im looking for a spare parts motor, and trans just to have around... kinda sounded like a good idea.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 14:24   #8055
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
sighting. anyone seen a red lifted beetle here in MN? sounds like a 2+ inch lift maybe...
Brandon who used to work with Merker had a red lifted NB. Last I heard he was having engine problems, but since he IS a VW mechanic it could have been fixed.