VW Dealers now fixing & flipping '15 buybacks

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
Interesting new development?

Just talked to a dealer near me who claims they are now buying up the 2015 buybacks, "fixing" them, and selling them to the public. They are buying them from the VW graveyard lots. He said they are buying as many as they can, as fast as they can.

Check out Cars.com, etc. You will see that they are hitting the market.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Old news. It has been happening for 2-3 weeks minimum. Wholesale auctions are flooded with these cars as well. They all have Title Transferred to Manufacture in CarFax.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Heck...there is demand.
Had the dealer I bought my car from, about 50+ miles away cold call me with a cash offer to buy my fixed car...
But old news....
As soon as the fix was available, cars could be bought and sold freely.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Id be more interested in Passats, way higher number of Passats from 2012 up thru 2014 of the Gen 2 engine.

Wonder what they are gouging for price due to "market demand" even with those with 80K+ miles.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Id be more interested in Passats, way higher number of Passats from 2012 up thru 2014 of the Gen 2 engine.
Wonder what they are gouging for price due to "market demand" even with those with 80K+ miles.
.... as long as there is a willing buyer -- it's not gouging.

.... water seeks its' own level.

.... condition, and miles

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
did the 15's have the takata airbag recall? I would think they cant sell a car with a recall outstanding

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Dealer told me that they can not sell any car with a takata airbag recall. They said they have several trades taken in from VW's to high end Porches that can't be sold until the air bags are replaced.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are a fair number of used '15s available. I find the prices pretty high. I bought a leftover '15 with 348 miles on it for significantly less than I've seen dealers asking for similar used ones.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
There are a fair number of used '15s available. I find the prices pretty high. I bought a leftover '15 with 348 miles on it for significantly less than I've seen dealers asking for similar used ones.
Funny thing is, they are still selling for more than you could get them for if you got a "great" deal using a service like true-car back in 2015....
And we got the $$ back, and the $1000 Goodwill, and the 2nd future payment....
So VW is not crying....they ARE still getting a premium.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I sold my 2003 Golf GSL (manual gasser), I was mindful the diesel equivalent was (approx) $3,000 higher in re-sale value.

It was a no brainer to elect the (new) diesel over a gasser in 2015, as my dealer was offerng his diesel at (approx) the same OTD price, as any other dealer had their gassers. :p

Matters not if you have elected to get a "NEW" 2015, or if you take the FIX on your "OLD" 2015.

Great re-sale value is fine by me. :D

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I plan on purchasing a CPO GSW TDI after work today. Are people not factoring in the extended emissions warranty that is now included? 11 year 162K mile warranty covering most major systems seems like a no brainer to me (even with some price gouging involved), unless I am interpreting the verbiage incorrectly?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I plan on purchasing a CPO GSW TDI after work today. Are people not factoring in the extended emissions warranty that is now included? 11 year 162K mile warranty covering most major systems seems like a no brainer to me (even with some price gouging involved), unless I am interpreting the verbiage incorrectly?
When I do the fix, I will have it (my car)

"NEW" 2015s have it too(?!?!)

Anyway I personally value mine at $2,000. BTW, the next owner gets it too. Further increasing the resale value.

A typical 2 year (few miles) CPO warranty can be $1,000 easy

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Factoring in how?
for me, I would pay MORE than market price for the reassurance of having said warranty

I'm speaking of those people who are thinking that dealers are price gouging but it seems like the added value of this warranty far outweighs paying a bit more up front

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The warranty certainly has value, but it was also available on the leftover new '15s. I still think the CPO prices I've seen are on the high side.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
for me, I would pay MORE than market price for the reassurance of having said warranty

I'm speaking of those people who are thinking that dealers are price gouging but it seems like the added value of this warranty far outweighs paying a bit more up front

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

..and in addition to the original buyer,

.. the warranty is good to all subsequent new owners.

[FONT=&quot]
Extended Emissions Warranty Coverage (continued) Transferability This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent owners. Warranty Notices All normal warranty provisions remain in effect"
[/FONT]

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
36k miles, 22k. 6MT, the color i wanted and the fact that it was 3 miles from my house really sealed the deal so I felt it was worth it. that and the extended emissions warranty

its loaded pretty much to the hilt which i don't really care for but its all good. lighting package, nav, driver assistance, etc

Last edited: