TDI Owners got the shaft on the Settlement

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I retired from the Navy in San Diego. We owned a home and my wife had a good job in SD. The downtown water front is a beautiful place. A place I love to visit and do so every year.

But I didn't care for the heavy hand of government, the politics, the taxes, the crowds and congestion, and the normal mindset of residents of the state.

We left and have never regretted it.

There are no smog checks out in west Texas where I live and many of the locals wouldn't know what I was talking about if I mentioned smog, emissions issues, or EPA.

Annual vehicle inspections consist of checking safety items such as lights, wipers, horn, tires, brakes, etc.

I don't plan on volunteering my Audi for any recalls or reflashes and don't expect anyone to notice or care.

It's nice to be a free citizen with no heavy hand of government controlling me.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive

There are no smog checks out in west Texas where I live and many of the locals wouldn't know what I was talking about if I mentioned smog, emissions issues, or EPA.
Sounds peachy!

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I salute you, brother. SoCal to west Texas. Wow! Must of felt like moving to another planet. And there are other advantages: no state income tax, open carry is legal and my favorite, Whataburger.

Enjoy your retirement.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I salute you, brother. SoCal to west Texas. Wow! Must of felt like moving to another planet. And there are other advantages: no state income tax, open carry is legal and my favorite, Whataburger.

Enjoy your retirement.
A big DOUBLE DITTO on all of that !!

Just one more thing: Thank you for your service to our country, Mr. Barlow.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Californians getting what you asked for. Idiots. You brought this crap on yourself. You love the EPA. Now it's screwing you. Whaaaaa bahaha!
Do you really think us California's have any say whatsoever in this? It's like saying as an American, we get what we asked for with terrorism or taxes or foreigners that just don't like us.

We have no actual say.... Just like this class action.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Do you really think us California's have any say whatsoever in this? It's like saying as an American, we get what we asked for with terrorism or taxes or foreigners that just don't like us.

I think he meant to say back in 1991 when everyone was happy, supportive and cheering that EPA was established.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I think VW really depends on places like where you live. Places where people don't care, and expect free pollution like a badge of honor.

FWIW, I give Texas more credit than this.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway

We all feel helpless at times. Not to be argumentative but CARB is an agency of the California state government, and who put that government in place other than Californians like yourself.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I think he meant to say back in 1991 when everyone was happy, supportive and cheering that EPA was established.
The EPA has been established since 1970 :confused:

If you guys are going to ****post political rants (in spite mod warnings to not do so) shouldn't you at least have the basics correct?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
"...established on July 17, 1991..."
http://www.calepa.ca.gov/About/History01/

Anything else?
So you really believe that the EPA (which is what you wrote in your post) was established in 1991 and not 1970? And you think that CARB (established in 1967) didn't exist until 1991 when CalEPA was formed?

Are you capable of critical thought? As in, when an organization's website says "our name is [x], and our current [x] named organization has been around since [y] date, but all the pieces of us have been around for decades before that..."

you aren't capable of understanding what you just read and you need your mommy to explain it to you in simpler terms?

and while we're wondering just how capable you are of putting two and two together and coming up with, well I dunno, four maybe...that Nixon was President in 1970, Reagan was Governor in 1967, and Wilson was Governor in 1991? Ah, those crazy, crazy liberals...

guyfromohio

TDI
09 jetta sportwagon TDI
question on VW TDI Settlement

In November of 2012 I purchased a reconstructed, salvage title Jetta tdi sportwagon. Car was not hit in the engine area and I receive extended warranty information from vw from time to time.
question ....How will the 2012 salvage title affect me, if at all in the settlement? Will I be able to participate? at all or a percentage??
thanks in advance, gary from ohio:confused:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
A salvage title from 2012 shouldn't affect you at all, if you've owned the car since then.

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
We all feel helpless at times. Not to be argumentative but CARB is an agency of the California state government, and who put that government in place other than Californians like yourself.
I don't take it that way so no worries. I have lived in california all my adult life and in 25+ years of voting....I have never once been giving the chance to have any say on who is calling the shots.

California is working hard at chasing businesses out of the state...if only I had say :)

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Why would anyone pay $33,000.00 for a 2013 Beetle? I bought a 2013 Passat SEL Premium TDi new for less than that and the buyback is $1,500.00 more than I paid even though I am going to keep it. If you pay more than market value at the time don't expect to get all your money back. And yes you have been driving it. What is your mileage, that also makes a difference.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Why would anyone pay $33,000.00 for a 2013 Beetle? I bought a 2013 Passat SEL Premium TDi new for less than that and the buyback is $1,500.00 more than I paid even though I am going to keep it. If you pay more than market value at the time don't expect to get all your money back. And yes you have been driving it. What is your mileage, that also makes a difference.
Because that was what a Beetle Convertible with a TDI sold for...

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
ya... some of the smarmy people on this site proclaiming their great sale deals and how great the buyback will work for them should probably tone it down a notch....

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Smarmy?????? No need to get upset. Some are getting a good deal and some aren't. I am getting a good one one of them and not so great on another. Either way, all of us are getting much more if you hired a lawyer or joined a class action lawsuit. At least from what I have seen what people get in the past. The lawyers get most of the money and the rest get very little.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
When I read the posts whining about the unfair offer made for their cars I always wonder . . .

Why don't those who were treated unfairly by VW simply sell their cars at full retail on the open market and show VW how wrong their valuation is?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
When I read posts like yours I always wonder...

are you intentionally trolling or do you think you're making a valid point in there somewhere, somehow?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I don't take it that way so no worries. I have lived in california all my adult life and in 25+ years of voting....I have never once been giving the chance to have any say on who is calling the shots.
California is working hard at chasing businesses out of the state...if only I had say :)
CA has the sixth largest economy in the world, so some businesses are staying...

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
GRAND THEFT...... Ha ha ha ha ha.... Give me a break. :cool:

First mistake a convertible VW beetle, that is one of the worst deprecating cars of all makes and models regardless of TDI. You are lucky you can unload it at all. 3 years of driving for $7K... That is awesome.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Wow, reading this thread made me think.

I should sue VW for the loss of value on my 2000. After all, they caused the value of all TDI's to go down. I'm sure I could get $20 or $30 more for my car if I sued.