Using seafoam motor treatment

NWA-TDI

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
So I can you can add it to your fuel... you can add it in your crank to clean old oil build-up etc.

However I have seen that on a gas engine to really get at the build-up is to run through your vacuum line. Generally there are no vacuum lines that lead to the intake or cylinders. However I just tapped my intake manifold so I could install my boost gauge. Would it be safe to do this on a diesel in general?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
don't ever put anything liquid into your intake. The combustion chamber is extremely small and you run a very high risk of hydrolocking your engine. Seafoam works great in the fuel and I have used it numerous times to prefill a fuel filter. That's the only place I will use it

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
From the SEAFOAM site that Bob Fout provided a link to in post number 3:
Seafoam FAQs said:
As far as the “don’ts” go, most people who own and work on diesel cars and trucks know that no liquids or sprays should ever be used through the air intake system of a diesel engine, including cleaners and starting fluids. Doing this can cause major engine damage, including hydro-lock or, even worse, uncontrolled engine acceleration” also known as “RUN AWAY”. Do NOT add Sea Foam Motor Treatment or Sea Foam Spray Top Engine Cleaner and Lube to the air intake of a Diesel engine!

I cannot stress this enough.

Bill

NWA-TDI

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
Nope that answers that for me! Thank you. I will probably run a fuel filter full of seafoam for a good internal clean

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Nope that answers that for me! Thank you. I will probably run a fuel filter full of seafoam for a good internal clean
IMO there are better additives for this. Ones that are diesel specific...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
And what is it that you are concerned about cleaning out? What issue(s) are you having that may indicate that something internally is "dirty"?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I, too, choose to never use additives on a diesel that are either designated as for gassers or claim to be useful for both gas and diesel engines. I wouldn't use diesel or combo additives on a gasser, either, if I owned one. Diesel specific products for diesel engines; gas specific products for gas engines. Period.

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
Diesel specific products for diesel engines; gas specific products for gas engines. Period.
It's not as popular as it once was, but LCD's FPPlus is an acceptable crossover. It was originally blended for gasoline engines, but tests showed it to be so effective with diesels it was 'greened up' and sold as a diesel additive. This is really the only difference in FP-60 and FPPlus. The current owner of LCD continues to market it as a gas additive, however their test info on their website shows testing and benefits on a Cummins diesel. The background information on this comes from correspondence with the prior owner and the chemist that formulated the product. I've used it pretty steadily and analysis shows no damage or ill effects from using it.

It's marketed purpose is combustion chamber cleaning and deposit control with some milage gain rather than lubricity, so it would tend to be overlooked here.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
And what is it that you are concerned about cleaning out? What issue(s) are you having that may indicate that something internally is "dirty"?
Have you never heard of the ALH intake plugging up?

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Yeah the only thing that will clean that up once its clogged is removal of intake and A LOT of elbow grease....and then a VAG-Com to make sure it doesn't happen again. Not a fun job.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
No good on a diesel like they said. Used to just use plain water in the intakes on gassers though. No sense even spending the $$ on sea foam. Cleanest motor you'll ever see is one with blown HG. Steam does wonders but you have to add slow and feather the throttle (on gas not diesel!)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Yes, how would it clean up an intake?? Please tell...
You asked what he wants to clean out, well obviously he wants to clean out the intake, hence my comment.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, if that's the case, it isn't going to work.
Correct, well it could work, after the motor locks up, he'll have to pull the head and clean it all up, ;)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I meant letting the motor lock up(hard way) as opposed to removing the intake and cleaning it(easy way) out manually. Haha.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Any thoughts/experience on cleaning the intake beyond the intake manifold? ie - the intake valve stems & intake area within the head?

I've seen photos of what this area/intake valves can look like - the same way the manifold & EGR gets gunked up - well, so do the valves....

At 210k miles, and after replacing lifters/camshaft, I have evidence to suggest a sticky valve.

Anyway to accomplish this other than removing the head?

jyhuh28

TDI
Red 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, Blue 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp, 01 Green Jetta TDI 4sp, 02 Silver TDI auto
Seafoam is good when doing a deisel purge but obviously liqui moly and deisel kleen would be better for that

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Any thoughts/experience on cleaning the intake beyond the intake manifold? ie - the intake valve stems & intake area within the head?

I've seen photos of what this area/intake valves can look like - the same way the manifold & EGR gets gunked up - well, so do the valves....

At 210k miles, and after replacing lifters/camshaft, I have evidence to suggest a sticky valve.

Anyway to accomplish this other than removing the head?
As was mentioned, you can run it in the oil, just not the fuel. There should not be much gunk in the combustion chamber. I am assuming you are taking about in the head, on the back side of the valves.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
As was mentioned, you can run it in the oil, just not the fuel. There should not be much gunk in the combustion chamber. I am assuming you are taking about in the head, on the back side of the valves.
Yes - this is exactly what I am referring to - inside the head, on the back side of the valve heads.

I do realize the Seafoam can be used in the oil - which might help if the sticking is occuring in the valve guide to valve stem area. Naturally - I don't know exactly where the sticking is occuring. Unfortunately, I don't even know for certain if valve-sticking is the issue - could be lifter sticking (although I don't think so, because the lifter face was fairly pristine).

I have found/read about BG Diesel Induction Sytem cleaner - this is a process where a chemical is fed (slowly) into the intake, apparently cleaning out the carbon/sludge buildup on the EGR/Intake manifold/intake valves. Anybody have any experience with this?

Last edited:

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi there

I used Seafoam before on gasoline engines before, but honestly have not seen any benefit, even that I used it in couple different vehicles, as requested by the Seafoam manufacturer. I would never use it in a diesel vehicle. Not in the engine nor in the oil. To clean the intake it would make sense to take off the intake as others already mentioned it. I have a BRM and to clean the engine I tried Liqui Moly diesel intake cleaner. I would say that the LM did some cleaning, it was hard to see how good it was with the intake still in the car. The car ran about the same (maybe slightly louder valves for a very short time) but I would not say that it was worth it... I still have a full can pluis another half that I may try from time to time just for some maintenance. To make things easy I got a colmplete BRM intake with the throttle and the EGR that I cleaned with BBQ cleaner and hot water and soap. Painful process but was wort it...The intake removal is a royal pain in the buns, but I may try it...

Last edited:

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
My workmate used it in his oil on his old truck gasser and it helped with some lifter noise at startup. Should help clean some of the gunk around the valves and may help the sticking...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Seafoam works very well in the fuel - as mentioned before I've even pre-filled my filter with it (and run on straight seafoam). I agree there are better products, but it's pretty decent and won't do any harm. AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T PUTTING IT IN THE INTAKE!!! <- needed to highlight that tidbit there. Personally - I wouldn't put it in my oil. I don't ever add solvents or cleaners to my oil. (except the one sludged up Dodge 4.7 I had to work on).

As far as cleaning in farther than the intake - on a BEW it might not be needed, but if it is (and I've done it on several gunked up ALHs). It needs to be done correctly. Rotate the engine over so the valves on the port you are cleaning are closed. I use a shop vac while cleaning everything I can reach with a pick/ small screwdriver / etc. If you don't - you risk getting debris into the engine or stuck in a valve. That would be bad. Of course you need to rotate the engine for each port you clean.