Help 2001 Jetta won't start

bakert4659

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta
I have a 2001 Jetta TDI automatic. Current problem is car won't start, will crank but not starting. History - driving 65 on highway car cut off, put in neutral and it restarted, MIL light came on. Stop for gas about 2 hours later and car would not start. After trying about 10 times car started and ran fine but both MIL and glow plug light came on. Car ran fine about 2 weeks and lights went out after several trips and then trouble starting again. When it did start both lights came on after driving about 30 seconds, but was running fine. Lights went out after a couple of trips. Couple of days later car cuts off again while driving and I restart in neutral. After stoping at a store difficult to start but restarts after 15 tries, lights come on. Next day I go to store, MIL and glow plug lights still on won't start have it towed to mechanic. I call today and they are not sure what is wrong but think they have narrowed it down to bad injection pump or bad control pane. Does this sound correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
What codes are shown with a good scan?

Sounds electrical to me, but the MIL has me confused. Knowing the codes might help a lot.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Canadian_Grizzly said:
Check that your antishutter valve isn't sticking... it is the one on the side of the EGR. Open start...closed stop.
Yup, and check that the EGR actuator is not broken. Another fluttering butterfly valve found in NC today. This is starting to show up way too often. Either a no start or variable/poor power.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
paramedick said:
Yup, and check that the EGR actuator is not broken. Another fluttering butterfly valve found in NC today. This is starting to show up way too often. Either a no start or variable/poor power.
Would either of these cause a MIL or flashing GP light?

Some of the problem sounds like relay 109, some of it sounds like ASV, some of it sounds like rats gnawing the wires.

Also, if the MIL is showing, get the car scanned to find out what happened even if the light has gone out. Just don't take it to a dealer and pay thier diagnostic fee.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
whitedog said:
Would either of these cause a MIL or flashing GP light? .
Nope, not that I've seen. Just complaints of either no start (no actuator to hold it open), or strange power issues i.e. "It goes up to a certain speed and it's like it hit a wall", or "the power comes and goes", or "surging".

Amazing what depriving these engines of air will do to it's performance.

bakert4659

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta
Thanks for all the response. It's not the antishutter valve I check that. I will check with the mechanic tomorrow and get the codes before I authorize any repairs.