Picture of my ALH cam regrinded by Colt Cams

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d

The cam looks great. My TDI isn't running yet though; it needs a TB install, wiring harness install, and a bunch of other stuff. Part of the swap into a A2 chassis:

I went with Colt Cams because they are a 15 minute drive from my house, and they've done intensive R&D on TDIs before, and they charged roughly $250 USD less than what a Kerma Kam costs

If anyone is willing to lend a 100% OEM ALH camshaft to me, I'll do a before/after dyno and report detailed EGT/smoke runs. In return, if the cam results are good and if you're interested, I can probably get you a deal on the same regrind for your cam. I'm not directly affiliated with Colt Cams though, so I'll have to see if they'll do another for the same price. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to finish the regrind (unless you pay them more to make your cam a higher priority... they're busy with cams for diesel Cummins and Powerstrokes).

I'll only need 1 week to initially run your OEM cam. If interested, give me your email address and I'll contact you later when I'm ready.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Looks like you need some clearance behind the turbo.

Looks good, though! I would have never thought about dropping a TDI engine into a MK II Jetta Coupe, that would be altogether very unique!

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Looks like you need some clearance behind the turbo.

Looks good, though! I would have never thought about dropping a TDI engine into a MK II Jetta Coupe, that would be altogether very unique!
Some clearance? I need a lot!
I hammered the firewall back 3/4" to 1" but there's still much more needed. Next time I'm going to heat the portion of the firewall to make it more malleable. It's not so bad though... should take an hour or two at the most.

The MK2 Jetta originally came with a 1.6L diesel motor, which makes it more rare especially in coupe form.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I've turned away more cam customers than I've sold. Most people simply don't need it.

You probably will benefit because you need to get that big turbo rolling.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
I will see how the Colt cam runs... it hasn't been fully dyno/EGT/boost/etc. proven yet (kinda new to the market) which is why I want a OEM cam for comparison.

I'd love to try your cam but I haven't seen any numbers or reports for it either, and it's also a tad too expensive for me. For now.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
SWEET PROJECT!!! A TDI 2-door Jetta! That will be a monster. Two thumbs up!

What kind of turbo is it, and what kind of exhaust manifold?

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
I will see how the Colt cam runs... it hasn't been fully dyno/EGT/boost/etc. proven yet (kinda new to the market) which is why I want a OEM cam for comparison.

I'd love to try your cam but I haven't seen any numbers or reports for it either, and it's also a tad too expensive for me. For now.
Tell us more about the cam! Did you keep the same profile, but add more lift? Change the profile? Lobe separation? Miller cycle?

Thanks!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
100 percent sure it's an Up Stage 3 kit. He's one of the prototype testers...What a test, huh? Pretty awesome stuff!

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
SWEET PROJECT!!! A TDI 2-door Jetta! That will be a monster. Two thumbs up!

What kind of turbo is it, and what kind of exhaust manifold?
Cheers, that's the prototype Upsolute Stage III kit I purchased last month w/ the Garrett GT20.

Edit: Ah, jack and dlai answered

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Tell us more about the cam! Did you keep the same profile, but add more lift? Change the profile? Lobe separation? Miller cycle?
Such details are not released yet, which is why I was reluctant to let Colt Cams work on my OEM cam. But the price was good, and a customer involved in the first TDI R&D had good comments, so I don't mind trying it out. I want another OEM cam to do a comparison.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Spike's sending me his OEM ALH cam, so I don't need anyone else to lend me theirs. The OEM cam will go in the car first so I can get some baseline numbers before the reground version goes in. Thanks Spike.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Okay, now to fix the turbo clearance issue...

Here's Jose heating up the firewall.

Molten lava on the other side (interior)

That was only half the heating process.

Oh my god! T-1000 is forming
(Terminator 2 reference)

It fits!
I can wave my hand behind the turbo easily (i.e. there'll still be enough clearance while the engine rocks back a bit)

Looking a little better, but still not quite done:

I will put a heat shield on the firewall (see pic of dlai's Stage III installation) so the modification will be hardly noticeable. I will post final results later.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
This is a very nice project! Two door MK2 Jetta...mmmmmm...only thing that would beat this for my tastes is a TDI Corrado...yes, I know it has been done, but nothing does it for me like a Corrado.

I can't wait to see what kind of numbers you'll be getting with the reground cam, etc. This will turn out to be something very interesting indeed.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Just to go off subject a mo, the bowl in the top of the piston what is its main function just to clarify in my head cheers

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
You're asking what is the main function of the bowl in the piston? I am quite sure that is where the major air/fuel swirl mixture takes place. AKA mini combustion chamber.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
That was my under standing as well but just read an article that stated it was for cooling , i tryed to post but would not let me. I'll try to find

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Found the article/paper in google just wright (diesel engines play a significant role in reducing the fuel)views

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
The bowl isn't for cooling. It's the actual combustion chamber... the injector squirts fuel directly into the bowl and as Mr. q mentioned it is shaped to maximize swirl and mixture of the fuel and air.

The article you mentioned talks about why cooling gallerys are a good thing for such pistons, since thermal stresses are very high at the bowl lip. So for high power output engines, the bowl necessitates extra cooling... it's not there for cooling.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Cheers davin for clarifying (this was a debate between me and a mate he pointed this article to me and interprited it wrong he is now a beleaver

Aug

Ok, for those of us who don't know...can someone define what the "Miller cycle" is?