Opinions on dealer timing belt service. Re-do myself?

mattpetty

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hi all. I've been doing a ton of research here in the last month, using the search function extensively and still have a number of questions. Thinking I'll spread them out for easy searchability in the future.

Purchased a 2001 Jetta with 155k and an extensive service history. Almost all of the service was performed at Hewlett VW in TX. Of specific interest is the latest timing belt service at 134K on 07/11/12.

Research on Hewlett shows several prematurely failed timing belt jobs, but on the other hand there must be some baseline rate of failure. Anyone know if they are/were competent in July of 2012? Seems like the tech had an ID number 398.

On the few service jobs I've done myself there was evidence of sloppy work on their behalf. On the same invoice as the TB they installed a battery and didn't address very obvious corrosion below the battery tray.

I'm leaning towards redoing the timing belt job. Purchased a Ross-tech cable and DieselGeek TB tool kit on Craigslist today. Am I being paranoid?

kitko100

TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI
no you are not paranoid. You almost never get what you pay for nowadays. Seems like for most people in any kind of service industry its just another job. No one takes pride in their work anymore.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
If you're not comfortable with the TB job I suggest that you redo it. If it breaks you're looking at $1500 in parts alone just to repair the damage

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... Am I being paranoid?
Given the 'stellar' reputation for which VW dealers are justly known, with the rare exception, you are not being paranoid; you are being just the opposite. You are reasonable and want your car to continue working.

Make sure you get good parts from a site vendor.

Cheers!

PH

mattpetty

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Bought a proper belt kit

I have no specific reason to believe it was botched other than a bunch of anecdotal evidence about dealerships and their general ignorance of Tdi procedures.

Ordered the DieselGeek 100k kit today and my VagCom/Metalnerd kit is enroute. I've never performed the procedure myself, but I trust that I'll do it right.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area want to do theirs at the same time? Maybe I provide the tools, you provide the space? I'm probably going to use one of the DIY auto workspace rentals that are in the area if I don't find someone with a willing yard or garage...