Larger Oil Cooler and Remote Oil Dual Oil Filter with By-pass Filter

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Ok, I know not all of you have the space for the larger oil cooler or the dual filter setup but here is what I'm installing in my Corrado. I had been wanting a remote oil filter setup for a long time because the filter is challenging to get out with the passat engine cross-member that supports the front engine mount. To make it a cleaner oil filter change I typically would drop the cross-member making filter changes a RPITA.

I read about the larger oil cooler here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993
Below is a picture of the stock one (far left) and the one I chose in the middle:

I picked one out of my local junkyard for $5. Its from a V6 B5:

I bought a new gasket for it which cost $20 from www.Germanautoparts.com

I had to modify one of my hoses slightly to accommodate the cooler. The hose that goes to the head. I ordered a new one which is three pieces. Bengone1 and I played with the old hose and shortened the piece of the hose closest to the waterpump buy 1/4" and then shortened the piece that goes to the cooler by 1/4" This causes the hose to not collapse on itself.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

The large amsoil filter is a By-Pass filter with the efficiency of 98.7 percent at two microns. The filter remove 39 percent of soot contaminants less than one micron. At normal operating RPMs the By-Pass Filter will filter all of the oil in a typical five quart sump in less than 10 minutes. I want to protect the brand new long block that I'm installing.

This weekend I'll have pictures of the oil lines and engine installed.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
G60ING. Do you feel most drivers of un-modified engines need or will benefit from the kind of modifications you are talking about? Do you believe the average driver needs to worry, assuming they are doing all the recommended (by the owner's manual) maintenance?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This oil cooler mod is fuel for slightly better engine warm up which translates to better fuel economy. Do most need this, no but do most drivers of tdi upgrade nozzles? No, but a lot of Tdi club guys go way beyond what most people do.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It should be noted that I'm building a drivetrain that will hopefully last for my lifetime

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I put one of those V6 oil coolers on my car... was a snap to install. As you noted they are cheap to get... since changing the seals is most of the way to replacing the whole cooler the upgrade is almost a "no brainer".

-J

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
So when will this rig be up and running?

I'm curious how clean that oil will stay. I bought a couple Frantz bypass filters years ago for my Rabbits and never mounted them.... soon. Clear diesel oil would be pretty amazing!

-Todd

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It will still be black, I've seen people's oil that had the dieselgeek bp filters. I hope to get it running by the end of the weekend. Hopefully I will get some time to wrench this weekend.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
Subscribed. This is pretty interesting, I need to keep this info handy.

Frank, thanks for sharing and good luck with the new engine.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oil capacity went up by at least a quart. The engine was as bone dry as one gets and it took 6 quarts when priming the pump to get to the top of the hash marks.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Ya'know... th e internet is a creepy place. I was reading this thread thinking it was in the present only to realize with the last post about an update that it was 3 years ago!!!

And the weird way that things just left off..... without any finish or closure.

Its like walking into a house from a very busy crazy neighborhood.. only to walk back out minutes later and all you see is vast emptiness and the howling of winds with dust and tumbleweeds...

But yeah, other than my overactive mind, Im curious as to an update :D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, my main reason was for easier oil changes. Dropping the lower cross member to change the oil was a pain in the butt.

colinegreen

TDI
ALH installed in a vanagon syncro
oil filtration circuit question.

Can you tell us (or better yet) show us more pictures of how the oil connections work between the block and the rest of the filtration circuit?

I have and ALH and I want to do something similar, but I am not sure how to get the oil in and out of the new circuit.

I was thinking a sandwich adapter in between the filter housing and the "oil cooler". With your new bigger cooler, it does not seem there is enough room for this sandwich - in one pic it looks like there is an oil line coming out of the middle of the bottom of the cooler.

What parts allow this?

Colin

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Can you tell us (or better yet) show us more pictures of how the oil connections work between the block and the rest of the filtration circuit?
I have and ALH and I want to do something similar, but I am not sure how to get the oil in and out of the new circuit.
I was thinking a sandwich adapter in between the filter housing and the "oil cooler". With your new bigger cooler, it does not seem there is enough room for this sandwich - in one pic it looks like there is an oil line coming out of the middle of the bottom of the cooler.
What parts allow this?
Colin

Asking someone for pictures from 5 years ago and reviving an old thread that was fairly pointless to start with.
The thing is, TDI's if kept stock and maintained can go for 1 million miles. Many have gotten to 600K. This extra oil filter is rubbish and is just as bad of a modification as a fart can or CAI. DO as you wish to your car and engine but think about it and read up on what people have spent time and resourced giving us information to use. Here is a great thread you should read. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

Point in making is, the right filter to start with is all you need. if you live in the colder parts of the earth like Russia or Utah where it can get to -40*F at winter time, the oil heat exchanger is a good choice but we all now use the freeze plug heater mod or frost heat pump mod as well. Putting a massive filter on a TDI is already done. A 4 quart system that used a filter that is for trucks is all you need. Mobile one Filter is about the best right now. Purolator has an issue with holes in the filter paper so I don’t use them anymore. There was a big recall and almost none came back so you have to check them at the store and not worth the risk. We did crazy things to our cars 10 years ago when it was the hot thing to do but now we have learned what is good and what a waste of money is. This oil filter mod is a waste of money. Change your oil filter every time you do a change at 7-10K miles as you see fit. I personally have been sending my oil out for analysis every other oil change. I was going them at 8K and then after each oil analysis I would up it by 1500 each time. I’m up to 13,000 miles between oil changes but I just do one before every winter now as the car sits and gets about 3K miles on it a year. Do yourself a favor and PM someone for more pictures vs reviving a thread from 5 years ago and read more about what you want to do. I will say that the ability to change the oil filter from the top like most ALH or anywhere else other than the location for the AHU would be a great idea but it only gets done every 10K miles unlike the 3-5k my escape needs.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What parts allow this?
Colin
Dieselgeek used to sell a bypass oil filter kit for the ALH. If you are lucky maybe you can track one down in the classifieds.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
I dont seem to see it offered on his site any more.... any others offer it?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
no, because its 15 years old and has not been made. maybe someone has one and willing to sell. its pointless. dont do it.

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
Full flow equals better filltration correct? I plan on keeping my ALH for a very very long time

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Basically just drive it and don't worry about it. Plenty have many if very far without extra filtration.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Full flow equals better filltration correct? I plan on keeping my ALH for a very very long time

Mobile one filter, Purolator filters have issues now. 5-40 mobile one synthetic.
Change the filter and oil at 9k-10K. This is not the weakest part of a TDI. You will never have an issue. Send your oil out every 3 oil changes or 30K to Blackstone. They will tell you EVERYTHING about your engines health. It’s the most diagnostic thing you can do period and only costs $10-$15
DO NOT USE CHEEP OIL FILTERS. They are junk. Use the one with the most paper filter in them, and that’s mobile one right now.
READ THIS
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373
Send oil here
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I have been sending my oil out every oil change since I got the car at 280K - now its 336K I add 1K every oil change based on results of the oil test, I’m at 13K between oil changes because the results say that the oil still falls within its weight ranges. I do always change the oil before winter in November regardless of miles over 3K just to make my brain happy.