TimeSert Engine/Tranny Mount Thread Repair, W/ Pictures

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
TimeSert makes a wonderful product that can repair the threads in VW aluminum engine and transaxle mounts. These mounts are good for about two, possibly three, bolt torquings before the threads fail.TimeSerts are better than Heli Coils, which can work out. The TimeSert kit is a little pricey, about the cost of a new mount, but with it you can fix additional mounts and the mount you have re-threaded should never have thread failure again.

Last week I removed the engine and transaxle from my son's A5 Jetta to swap motors. The aluminum transmission mount lost some threads and looked unsafe to use. It looked like this:

I decided to give TimeSerts a try after reading about them on this list. They sell a 30 MM by 12 mm with a 1.5 MM thread pitch steel insert that is an exact fit. (This insert was originally engineered for Honda head bolt hole thread repair, so it has to be good).

Today I repaired the threads in the transmission mount on my son's Jetta in preparation of installing a new engine. This is the kit you want to buy, #1215:

Open it up, it looks like this:

Top in the box is the insert driver, next is the tap to cut the insert threads in the aluminum mount, next appears the countersink tool and at the bottom in the case is the drill bit to bore out the stripped threads.

And the 30 mm X 12 mm X 1.5 mm inserts #12159 (they do not come with the kit and must be bought seperately):

How to install: First you have to secure the mount level in a vice, or have it installed on the engine or transaxle so it wont move. Next, using a half inch chuck drill, drill the threads out with the supplied drill bit. Oil the bit first and hold the drill perpendicular to the mount and go easy. When done it looks like this:

Blow off the drillings.

Next, countersink the hole using the supplied countersink bit. The countersink holds the TimeSert (notice in the picture of the insert (above), how the insert top end is fluted to match the countersink) at the top of the hole when installing it, preventing it from screwing through the mount. Oil the bit and countersink as far as the tool will drill. It is really quick and is only a couple of mm deep. Blow off the metal bits. When done, it looks like this:

Next, take a tap handle and install the supplied tap, oil the tap, and carefully cut the threads by rotating the tap handle clockwise, holding the tap perpendicular to the hole. Soon the tap starts cutting threads and in a minute or so you have tapped the hole. Make sure you run the tap all the way through the hole. Unscrew the tap. Blow off the metal shavings. It should look like this:

By hand, screw in the steel thread insert a few turns so it looks like this:

Install the instert driver into the tap handle and oil the insert driver threads and screw the driver into the insert in the mount like so:

Begin screwing in the insert by turning the tap handle clockwise. Continue turning the tap handle until it tightens up, keep turning some more and after the driver spins easly, unscrew it. By this time its through the insert and out the bottom of the hole a half inch or so. You should see this:

The insert driver cold rolls the insert threads, firmly locking the insert in the aluminum mount and also perfectly forms the inner threads to accept the bolt you will install later.

--Nate

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is the completed mount:

You can reuse this mount over and over.

First time I ever installed a TimeSert and it looks as if a machine shop fixed the mount.

(I had to make two posts because you are only allowed 10 pictures per post)

--Nate

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I did cheat a little. I used an '05.5 Jetta w/ a gasser 2.5 as the model, but the same mounts are used on our TDIs.

After I installed the inserts I installed the new bolts, torqued them down per the Bentley Manual and then discovered the body side of mount was bad, so I had to remove the bolts, change this mount's mate and install a new set of bolts and fully torque them. No issues at all. You can reuse this mount almost indefinitely!

I plan on doing this same insert install on my '04 the next timing belt or clutch install. It is REAL easy and this first time took about 15 minutes. Next time I bet it takes 10.

--Nate

Last edited:

biker250

TDI
'02 Golf
Can you do this with the mount still attached to the block still in the car? Will the tap handle fit in there and everything? Thanks.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
I used a Big Sert for one of my Dog Bone Mount holes. They work much better than helicoils. Nice write up. I hope people remember these little guys for when they are in need.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Timesert saved my b-i-l's van from the scrapper, infamous triton spark plug blow out.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Nice writeup. You could make some good coin loaning the kit out to other TDI folks... Timesert kits are not cheap!

They are one of my preferred inserts. Helicoils are fine for smaller, lightly torqued bolts. But I've had to replace enough of them to know that a solid insert will last much, much longer in any application where torque will be applied - especially so in this case where the bolts are TTY.

A machine at work has a tool steel ram that connects to a sliding aluminum yoke. By design, the yoke has threaded inserts instead of fastening the ram retainer directly into the yoke material (so if you bugger up the threads, you just have to replace the insert and not the entire yoke). I went through at least 2 replacement Helicoils at each ram change until I switched to solid inserts (EZ LOKs). Still working perfectly more than a year and three ram changes later!

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I don't know about time-serts, but I would think heli-coils are a poor repair for an engine mount. It is a structural weight bearing part. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a heli-coil as an engine mount repair. What is the difference between a time-sert and heli-coil?

tbixster

TDI
This will avoid this issue by just replacing the old dogbone linkage with a new design. You can install it in an hour with simple tools-$195.00 shipped Priority Mail.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
This will avoid this issue by just replacing the old dogbone linkage with a new design. You can install it in an hour with simple tools-$195.00 shipped Priority Mail.
You might want to apply for a tdiclub vendor setup since you are here quoting parts and all that.