AC Stopped Working - Resolved

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
Hey all,

Just wanted to post here. My AC has been working intermittently these past several months. Yesterday it completely stopped working after a 1.5 hour round trip. I checked the fans and they were not running with the key turned and AC on. At that point I checked the door fuse panel, #16 I believe it was. No issue. I popped fuse cover under the hood, on the batter. Bing:

As you can see on the second photo I cleaned it up a bit and removed what was left of the fuse. I e-mailed my contact at VW just to check cost on the new panel, part # 1J0937550A.

Thanks,

-Rick

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My fans stopped running last weekend and, at my guru's suggestion, I wiggled the fuses. Fans came back. However, he said that's an indicator of the beginning of the end for the battery fuse box, and that I should replace it. The fuses usually lose the connection because of corrosion, he said, and things will get worse, not better. I'm going to replace it soon.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Outstanding!
I got away with refurbishing my panel after one of the big fuses had a big meltdown.
If it's not too much trouble, please resize those giant pics.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Fairly common! (the other two green fuses to the right of the one blown are for the ABS)

As for fuse #16 in the panel on the side of the dash, it covers the AC compressor clutch.

The big fuse in the middle in the photo, 40amp, is for the high-side power to the two fans out front.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Just a quick hint here if you need a fuse panel. We have completely given up on aftermarket crap fuse panels. If you get one the odds are good you will be back there sooner than you think to replace it again.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've fixed that issue on the panel by the use of a linked fuse wired around it. Generally, there is something wrong with one or both of the fans when that fuse bites the dust like in this manner.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Enabled, the theory at VWVortex has merit, no doubt. However, I've seen hundreds of those fuses not burned out and have never seen either of the other two fuses burned out. Thus, I believe there is more going on besides small contact area. The OE box on my 2000 Jetta looks perfect (and I do love my AC).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm told that corrosion usually causes the poor contact and melting. And that the corrosion goes beyond the fuse bases. It seems that the fix is a solution in search of a problem. I've yet to replace a battery fuse box in the 6 MKIV VWs that have been in my family. My wagon's may be the first, after 16 years. Replacement box is $40. I'd just replace it.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Just checked mine; looks fine, very clean, no sign of heat buildup. One less thing to worry about (for now)...

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm told that corrosion usually causes the poor contact and melting.
That, loose connections, and a circuit running full at the fuse rating for the higher amp fuses. (heat)

The electrician where I use to work told me no circuit run at more then 80% of the circuit breaker rating.
I would think the same for fuses.